The Student Room Group

Is it bad that my Boyfriend wants me to 'dress up'

When I first met him I was in sports stuff, tracksuit, trainers no makeup at all, hair in a ponytail, tied back,etc looking chav like really not my best but to him I was 'still beautiful'. He saw me every week looking like a chav basically, because 99% I cba to turn up, only when I'm going out with friends or somewhere special..

When we started going out on dates I dressed up straightened my hair, had makeup on..

Now when I see him sometimes before running i'm sports gear& no makeup ( I don't wear makeup or straighten my hair when I go running) he asks how come i'm not wearing my heels, he doesn't like my trainers and he basically says next time wear something beautiful.. Every time I do meet him and dress up he says I look nice,etc

Idk I kinda feel offended, I mean if he first met me with makeup, straightened hair & nice clothes and saw me every week like this and then suddenly there's no makeup, hair tied back and jogging bottoms I would more understand the disappointment but he met me when I look my worse and saw me like every week looking at my worse.

Am I overreacting ? He still treats me the same and calls me beautiful when I meet him dressed down

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*He still treats me the same and calls me beautiful when I meet him dressed down but when I dress up he says I look nice and there's a smile on his face..
No, all he wants is sex. As long as you can provide that, you'll be fine.
You're definitely not overreacting. You should be able to dress however the hell you want to; not how he wants you to.
Just tell him to grow up and ask if he thought he could run in heels and a dress.
Reply 5
I don't see the issue. He complements you regardless but has a preference. Its not like he's forcing you.
Reply 6
Nope, not overreacting. You are a person, who does different things. Different things, require different clothing, hair and make up.

You can direct him to the Real Doll website if he would prefer a woman that spends 24 hours a day at her most glamorous.
I think it's sweet (: he thinks you're beautiful both ways, and you should be confident enough to know that he also loves you for who you are and not what you look like. Any guy would love to see his girl dress up. It's the same with me, and I love that smile he gives. Just means he's a little shy :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by AAgrace
Nope, not overreacting. You are a person, who does different things. Different things, require different clothing, hair and make up.

You can direct him to the Real Doll website if he would prefer a woman that spends 24 hours a day at her most glamorous.

Original post by scrotgrot
Just tell him to grow up and ask if he thought he could run in heels and a dress.

Original post by crozibear96
You're definitely not overreacting. You should be able to dress however the hell you want to; not how he wants you to.

Okay ..
Original post by Rakas21
I don't see the issue. He complements you regardless but has a preference. Its not like he's forcing you.

I feel like he's saying i'm not beautiful without makeup and only likes me if i'm dressed up. Again would understand if he first met me dressed up and everything and suddenly i'm not but he first saw me every week looking at my worst. He calls me beautiful regardless yeah but when I don't dress up he's disappointed. I understand he has a preference but it's like he's saying ' if you don't dress up then I don't like you'

Original post by Abdul-Karim
No, all he wants is sex. As long as you can provide that, you'll be fine.

I've already told him i'm not ready........

Idk again I really would understand the first time we met I was all dressup and then suddenly i'm not but the first time we met I had no makeup on in a tracksuit, trainers, hairs all back..
Reply 9
Original post by MyName??!
I think it's sweet (: he thinks you're beautiful both ways, and you should be confident enough to know that he also loves you for who you are and not what you look like. Any guy would love to see his girl dress up. It's the same with me, and I love that smile he gives. Just means he's a little shy :wink:

That's actually a nice way of looking at it, again like I said to someone I feel offended because it's like he's saying he will only like me if i'm dressed up, 'if you don't dress up then I don;t really want to know'
There's nothing wrong with wanting your partner to look/dress nicely and make an effort with their appearance. Fair enough if you're just about to go running and you're in your running gear though.
Original post by Anonymous
That's actually a nice way of looking at it, again like I said to someone I feel offended because it's like he's saying he will only like me if i'm dressed up, 'if you don't dress up then I don;t really want to know'

Ahaha honey, have you ever had a boyfriend before? Don't mind my question :hugs:
Maybe you should start telling him to wear a suit and shiny shoes everyday. See how he likes it.
Op. In the nicest possible way.. This is women logic.

He finds you attractive at your worst, he simply has a preference for a different look on you. Be glad his preference is not a different girl.
Maybe you should start telling him to wear a suit and shiny shoes everyday. See how he likes it.

If she told him he was hot then why would he not.
Original post by Rakas21

This tbh. If you were about to go running then maybe just explain to him that that's why you were dressed in sports gear as opposed to more feminine clothing etc. All guys have certain clothing that they like girls to wear, as do girls with guys. It's not as if he's controlling what you wear, and as you said he says you're beautiful regardless.
I think it depends if he wants you to dress up every day or just when you're going out somewhere. I'll admit that I feel a bit disappointed when we're going for a night out and my boyfriend just wears what he wears every day. It makes me feel like I'm not worth him making an effort. That doesn't mean I don't love him or find him attractive regardless though. I'm sure it's the same with your boyfriend.
Well you can't expect him to like the way you look when you quote "cba"

No fully grown man wants to come home to squalor. Get those heels on and make him feel appreciated and you will get it in return.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
When I first met him I was in sports stuff, tracksuit, trainers no makeup at all, hair in a ponytail, tied back,etc looking chav like really not my best but to him I was 'still beautiful'. He saw me every week looking like a chav basically, because 99% I cba to turn up, only when I'm going out with friends or somewhere special..

are you quite sure you are not a chav? most guys dont like to go out with a chav, unless they are one themselves
Original post by Golland19
Well you can't expect him to like the way you look when you quote "cba"

No fully grown man wants to come home to squalor. Get those heels on and make him feel appreciated and you will get it in return.

He first met me when I looked cba and saw me every week looking cba, when we started going out I got dressed up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by MyName??!
Ahaha honey, have you ever had a boyfriend before? Don't mind my question :hugs:

No & i'm only 16 so I haven't done any of this before:/

Original post by Gott
Oh :facepalm:, I thought you meant as in a role play sort of thing :laugh:

LOL

Original post by Rakas21
If she told him he was hot then why would he not.

Rakas21 I think crozibear96 point is that if I told him or acted like omg you're dressed like **** I want you to dress up in a suit or fancy otherwise I don;t like you would he like it? I think that's what crozibear was trying to say:smile:

Original post by Precious Illusions
This tbh. If you were about to go running then maybe just explain to him that that's why you were dressed in sports gear as opposed to more feminine clothing etc. All guys have certain clothing that they like girls to wear, as do girls with guys. It's not as if he's controlling what you wear, and as you said he says you're beautiful regardless.

Yeah I just felt like he was saying I don't look good without makeup,etc :/

Original post by pinkbullets
I think it depends if he wants you to dress up every day or just when you're going out somewhere. I'll admit that I feel a bit disappointed when we're going for a night out and my boyfriend just wears what he wears every day. It makes me feel like I'm not worth him making an effort. That doesn't mean I don't love him or find him attractive regardless though. I'm sure it's the same with your boyfriend.

That's true but I really don't care what he wears ( but most of the time he's dressed decent enough anyway )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending