The Student Room Group

Do girls mind if I don't have many friends

Hi

So a question to girls and guys out there. I just move to London a few months ago and I'm slightly socially awkward in that I'm a confident guy but I'm not really great at making friends. I only have a handful of actual friends and even they aren't the type and quality of friends that id like. I'm actively trying to improve my social life but I'm really insecure about it and I feel like girls will want a guy who has a really active social life and a ton of friends. I do feel like I am good company and can be a great boyfriend but this has always bugged me!
Don't see why your social life should affect your relationship so much unless she'd a right party girl herself.

If anything, she'd be grateful that she has a guy who puts time and effort into her.
Reply 2
For me, as long as you're not clingy because you have nothing else going on, I don't really care how many friends you have.

I quite like my space and it would put me off if I'm the only 'thing' you spend time with ie have other hobbies and things you like to do by yourself as well.
Nah mate.
Reply 5
I'm guessing they're not going to like you calling your friends "not quality friends".

That's not very nice!

They might think that you might say that they are "not a quality girlfriend!"

But I dunno. Girls are weird so who knows.
Reply 6
It's not something that would bother me! As long as it didn't mean that you'd want to spend every waking second with or talking to me! I quite like my own space, but I do love that sometimes you can both lock yourself a away and have no intuitions from friends!

Basically probably not

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've seen loads of couples I know where the girl has very few friends so she just latches on to her boyfriends friends, I don't see any reason why the same couldn't work in reverse.
Original post by munirrassid
If she a gold digger then leavit

loled. ran out of reps though
I really wouldn't care. I don't see why I would.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

So a question to girls and guys out there. I just move to London a few months ago and I'm slightly socially awkward in that I'm a confident guy but I'm not really great at making friends. I only have a handful of actual friends and even they aren't the type and quality of friends that id like. I'm actively trying to improve my social life but I'm really insecure about it and I feel like girls will want a guy who has a really active social life and a ton of friends. I do feel like I am good company and can be a great boyfriend but this has always bugged me!

sort out your social life first, and the girls will follow.

you can't do this backwards
I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, although some girls might be more judgemental. As others mentioned in this thread, I do want a potential boyfriend to enjoy his life with or without me; nobody wants a clingy partner.

According to my observations, most long term couples' social circles are quite intertwined anyway, even if they had no mutual friends before.
Wouldn't bother me at all.
No, I don't have loads of friends either.
Original post by noobynoo
I'm guessing they're not going to like you calling your friends "not quality friends".

That's not very nice!

They might think that you might say that they are "not a quality girlfriend!"

But I dunno. Girls are weird so who knows.

Thanks for the responses guys. As for the clinginess situation, no I'm definitely not someone who spends every waking moment around a girlfriend. In fact one of my main requirements is to have a girlfriend who respects my space so that i can spend time by myself doing my own stuff and hanging with my friends.

By quality friends, I don't feel bad saying that because I feel like my friends could be better because a lot of them don't put energy into the friendship by actively trying to get to know me or care about my life whereas I put a ton of energy into trying to do the same thing. I'm not going to lie and say there my ideal friends just because they are my friends.
Reply 15
Wouldn't care as I have a small social group too.
I wouldn't care - I only have a few close friends anyway. Like others have said, you'd probably be able to integrate yourself into your girlfriend's social circle anyway. I know a couple of my friends in long term relationships brought their boyfriend's into our friendship group.
It wouldn't bother me at all
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the responses guys. As for the clinginess situation, no I'm definitely not someone who spends every waking moment around a girlfriend. In fact one of my main requirements is to have a girlfriend who respects my space so that i can spend time by myself doing my own stuff and hanging with my friends.

By quality friends, I don't feel bad saying that because I feel like my friends could be better because a lot of them don't put energy into the friendship by actively trying to get to know me or care about my life whereas I put a ton of energy into trying to do the same thing. I'm not going to lie and say there my ideal friends just because they are my friends.

But how can they find out about your life if you don't do anything? You said yourself that you like spending a lot of time alone. If you did more things then they might be more interested????

Or maybe they don't share your interests if you spend all day on WoW or something. I dunno.
Original post by noobynoo
But how can they find out about your life if you don't do anything? You said yourself that you like spending a lot of time alone. If you did more things then they might be more interested????

Or maybe they don't share your interests if you spend all day on WoW or something. I dunno.

I do enjoy spending time on my own, as well as with friends. There's nothing wrong with that. Just some people are less inclined to build friendships or take them to the next level with you for whatever reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending