English a level structuring essay emergency help

Watch
ibzmo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am writing this in desperate need of advice. I am currently doing A2 English Literature - Love through the Ages. My A.s level grade, i just scrapped a 'B' - literally by 1 mark.
A problem I am having with the exam is a methodological structure in addressing the questions. My teachers are amazing at helping us analyse and interpret texts but have failed do give us a reliable and useful plan to structure essay answers.
I understand you have to address, all A.O's and you have to write about wider reading and address form structure language, I'm well aware of all the basic 'have to do's' that have been stated by students on here before.

But I was wondering if anyone had an intellectual detailed plan.
Currently, I am using a plan where each paragraph is based on the 'thoughts and feelings' within the poems (obviously form structure language is addressed within the poem)
But there are not as many thoughts and feelings within a poem about love. Therefore where my teacher tells me to write 7 paragraphs about thoughts or feelings and I can only find 2-3 I'm left with extra paragraphs of nothing.
I've been told numerous amount of times to NOT base paragraphs on devices, e.g. this poem uses alliteration/similar to this poem.

So I literally have no idea what to do or who to turn to.
even if ANYONE has a general plan or formula doing a comparative essay would be very helpful. I need a B, overall for university, and unfortunately my college has a disgusting low pass rate in English, so evidently I'm extremely worried.

Thank you so much for your time
citydeer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
is this for your comparative coursework?
what is your question?
ibzmo
Rep:
?
(Original post by citydeer)
is this for your comparative coursework?
what is your question?
No my coursework is going quite well, its the exam questions, so for example,
'Write a comparison for these two poems, consider the way the authors use form structure language to convey their thoughts and ideas' the questions are very broad. I'm able to get into all the basic knowledge of the A.O's. i just simply struggle on having and creating a good plan. My teacher told me I jump from paragraph to paragraph....
citydeer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ibzmo)
No my coursework is going quite well, its the exam questions, so for example,
'Write a comparison for these two poems, consider the way the authors use form structure language to convey their thoughts and ideas' the questions are very broad. I'm able to get into all the basic knowledge of the A.O's. i just simply struggle on having and creating a good plan. My teacher told me I jump from paragraph to paragraph....
ahh sorry I'm not sure I have that type of question, what exam board are you on?
ibzmo
Rep:
?
(Original post by citydeer)
ahh sorry I'm not sure I have that type of question, what exam board are you on?
AQA - READING FOR MEANING - Love Through The Ages
citydeer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ibzmo)
AQA - READING FOR MEANING - Love Through The Ages
sorry I don't do that so i'm no help!
Bruno26
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ibzmo)
I am writing this in desperate need of advice. I am currently doing A2 English Literature - Love through the Ages. My A.s level grade, i just scrapped a 'B' - literally by 1 mark.
A problem I am having with the exam is a methodological structure in addressing the questions. My teachers are amazing at helping us analyse and interpret texts but have failed do give us a reliable and useful plan to structure essay answers.
I understand you have to address, all A.O's and you have to write about wider reading and address form structure language, I'm well aware of all the basic 'have to do's' that have been stated by students on here before.

But I was wondering if anyone had an intellectual detailed plan.
Currently, I am using a plan where each paragraph is based on the 'thoughts and feelings' within the poems (obviously form structure language is addressed within the poem)
But there are not as many thoughts and feelings within a poem about love. Therefore where my teacher tells me to write 7 paragraphs about thoughts or feelings and I can only find 2-3 I'm left with extra paragraphs of nothing.
I've been told numerous amount of times to NOT base paragraphs on devices, e.g. this poem uses alliteration/similar to this poem.

So I literally have no idea what to do or who to turn to.
even if ANYONE has a general plan or formula doing a comparative essay would be very helpful. I need a B, overall for university, and unfortunately my college has a disgusting low pass rate in English, so evidently I'm extremely worried.

Thank you so much for your time
I don't know if this will help, but this is the structure I use (in paragraphs):

1st- Clear Argument
2nd- LSF of First poem, then compare (differentiate/similar) to 2nd poem. Deeper analysis on quotes chosen.
3rd- 2nd poem, then compare (differentiate/similar) to 1st poem AND Link to any wider reading.
4th- Do the same as the '2nd' paragraph, but with wider reading.
5th- Repeat '3rd' paragraph, but WITHOUT wider reading, and focus more on close analysis.
6th- Any last comparisons you find between Poem 1 and Poem 2
7th- Conclusion

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (25)
16.78%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (49)
32.89%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.4%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (15)
10.07%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.7%
I think it's an unfair expectation (36)
24.16%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.01%

Watched Threads