The Student Room Group

Is it worth paying more to have en-suite room?

I am planning to live in halls during my first year at uni and I was wondering is it worth paying more just to have en-suite room?

Let's say standard rooms are £104pw, while en-suite are £130pw. It's almost £30pw more, which sums up to nearly £1000pa. Is it really worth it or it is better to spend that money on something more important, like food, clothes, etc?

Thank you!
I'm not sure it's worth 30 a week more. I paid £93pw for my ensuite room and have no regrets at all, but £130 is obviously a fair bit more. Work out how much you're getting from your loan and how much you'd get for food etc after it. If it's doable then do it. I loved being able to just have a shower or use the loo whenever I wanted without having to move more than a foot haha. I think sharing would have sent me mad because I have a fear of germs. So student shared bathrooms are not my idea of fun.
depends on what the standard room is ... a lot of the 1980s and 90s new builds prior to the en suite boom would be in falts of 6 with 2 oilets and 2 shower rooms ... could you cope with that ?
I'm in the same dilemma right now. I am planning on finding a part time job while I am there in order to boost my income and therefore will be leaning towards an ensuite (which for my uni will be about 5300 for 44 weeks) but for a communal bathroom it'd be about 4200!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daryZ
I am planning to live in halls during my first year at uni and I was wondering is it worth paying more just to have en-suite room?

Let's say standard rooms are £104pw, while en-suite are £130pw. It's almost £30pw more, which sums up to nearly £1000pa. Is it really worth it or it is better to spend that money on something more important, like food, clothes, etc?

Thank you!

Do you know how much you'll be getting loan wise? Even though I have a MASSIVE fear of germs, I'd rather share a bathroom and be able to eat a decent meal and have extra spending money for going out etc than have my own en-suite and live off pot noodles for the entirety of first year! Think it would be worth consulting finances before you come to a conclusion. Would your parents perhaps be willing to contribute towards the rent perhaps? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Mythological101
Do you know how much you'll be getting loan wise? Even though I have a MASSIVE fear of germs, I'd rather share a bathroom and be able to eat a decent meal and have extra spending money for going out etc than have my own en-suite and live off pot noodles for the entirety of first year! Think it would be worth consulting finances before you come to a conclusion. Would your parents perhaps be willing to contribute towards the rent perhaps? :smile:

The uni is in London, as I know there will be more maintenance loan available. I don't live with my parents for nearly 3 years so I won't receive any financial support from anyone except myself. However, I am planning to start uni with £5000 personal savings which I managed to save even by living on my own (I work many hours).
I am a student with an ensuite bathroom, I would say YES it is definitely worth it. I have friends with shared bathrooms and you would not want to see the state of them.... I pay £109 a week, self catered
Reply 7
I had an en suite for first year and I'm glad I did. You're adjusting to university life (presumably coming straight from home) and you don't have to worry about other people using the bathroom when you need it (although people who did share a bathroom said it was fine and they never had to wait) so it depends on your privacy as well and what you want.
Paying extra for the privilege of buying your own bog roll, toilet cleaner AND being responsible for scrubbing out your own toilet doesn't sound like a great deal for me.
You're not going to have one in second or third year and everyone seems fine with that, why the fuss in First Year?
Moved to Student Accommodation forum. :smile:
Original post by Le Nombre
You're not going to have one in second or third year and everyone seems fine with that, why the fuss in First Year?

By second year most people know the people they will be sharing with though, I'm not keen on sharing with people I haven't met before!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends really.

I went for ensuite, but it wasn't that expensive. The university I go to has catered and self catered accommodation, and self catered en suite is actually one of the mid range options in terms of price, with the catered en suites being the expensive ones. So I went with self catered en suite.

For other universities, an en suite room might be too expensive to be worth it.
I know it all depends on your own budget, but does £156 a week sound excessive for ensuite?
Original post by callum_r
I know it all depends on your own budget, but does £156 a week sound excessive for ensuite?

It sounds very expensive to me, I'm looking at about £120 though!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by callum_r

It sounds really expensive to me too! The most I'll be paying is £130 (and I feel that's a stretch) with the least I'll be paying being £112
I will always pay more for convenience.
If you care a lot about hygiene and your own personal space like I do, for the sake of your sanity, get an en-suite. If you're willing to risk having your bathroom look like a pig-sty, then pick a shared one. They are cheaper after all. It depends more on you than the money, trust me.
Eh, I always thought I would hate not having an en-suite but it's been perfectly fine! I don't think it'd be worth the extra :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending