The Student Room Group

How do I stop feeling white guilt?

Seriously, it just makes me sad sometimes. And no, I'm not denying white privilege exists, at least in certain areas. But I'm so sick of seeing people say all white people are racist; it doesn't even happen THAT often but when it does I feel like ****. I don't know whether it's because a lot of white people are racist and I just don't notice or if some idiots are just dramatic but it almost makes me feel guilty people feel like that, and then that makes me angry because it's not my fault. Yes I have judgemental thoughts- about everything, not even just race- but there's no way I'm the only one who does. And I'd never say them out loud. I hate feeling so bad over something I really shouldn't need to; how do I get over this?

Just as a side note, please don't start on "poor little white girl" jokes, I just want some help here.

Scroll to see replies

Paint yourself black???

:confused:

In all seriousness just remember that you are going to die just as everyone else does. Thus you have every right to live the life you want. To hell with what everyone thinks.

Do what you want and think what you want. If whatever you do harm's society you will be exterminated in the process anyway.

And yep. I'm going to say it.

YOLO. :yep:
Take responsibility for your own actions and nobody else's.
Original post by EllieC130
Seriously, it just makes me sad sometimes. And no, I'm not denying white privilege exists, at least in certain areas. But I'm so sick of seeing people say all white people are racist; it doesn't even happen THAT often but when it does I feel like ****. I don't know whether it's because a lot of white people are racist and I just don't notice or if some idiots are just dramatic but it almost makes me feel guilty people feel like that, and then that makes me angry because it's not my fault. Yes I have judgemental thoughts- about everything, not even just race- but there's no way I'm the only one who does. And I'd never say them out loud. I hate feeling so bad over something I really shouldn't need to; how do I get over this?

Just as a side note, please don't start on "poor little white girl" jokes, I just want some help here.

Once you accept that theres white privilege and you wish to combat it, then there's no need to feel guilty. Youre not part of the problem and obviously not a racist. The fact you even made this post shows that you know there's inequalities between whites and minorities. A white person at a protest for the murdered black teen Mike Brown in America had a banner saying 'white silence is white consent'..being aware of systematic racism etc. will make you feel less guilty.

You have to understand that the purveyors of white guilt are racists who despise white people. White guilt is no different from what we term the 'battered wife syndrome'. Those who suffer from white guilt are victims of psychological, emotional and intellectual oppression.

The first step to overcoming white guilt is to understand that you are a victim of hate and racism yourself. And that those who make you feel guilty are actually the people filled with hate and racism. That's how the 'battered wife syndrome' works. The victim is made to feel like their victimhood is their own fault.

The first step forward is just to challenge some of the accusations thrown at white people. Once you start educating yourself, the white guilt quickly drops away, and is replaced with outrage as the lies are quickly exposed for what they are.

Psychopaths prey on compassion. Never let psychopaths use your compassion against you.
(edited 9 years ago)
You haven't done anything wrong so don't punish yourself needlessly. If you really think you need help, maybe try and talk to a counsellor.
That is such an American term "white guilt" XD. But in seriousness, just don't feel it, you didn't enslave people etc so relax. I have never personally seen anyone have "white guilt" before in my life (perhaps because England has a different history regarding Black people etc than the USA). Nonetheless my flat mate speaks of such terms (he is from the USA) and it sounds like a pack of retarded crap.
Reply 7

Distance yourself from the state legal fiction. It's not you. It's a legal fiction. It doesn't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Be sad about what other humans have done, and try to use your privilege to help those without it, but you yourself haven't done anything to put yourself with other white people who are racist etc. You weren't born with the sin of all white people, but you do have the position of power to help those who are discriminated against.
It's not that. OP feels guilt because of what other white people have done, both in history and modern society. She's accepting that racism is a problem and feels bad about it but she de isn't know what she can do about it! You're just making her feel worse
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by TheHalfCentaur
It's not that. OP feels guilt because of what other white people have done, both in history and modern society. She's accepting that racism is a problem and feels bad about it but she de isn't know what she can do about it! You're just making her feel worse

In any case, I'm pretty sure guilt is a natural biproduct of privilege anyway. I mean, who else doesn't feel bad after watching unicef commercials?
Not bad enough to post a woe is me thread mind you, but still bad nethertheless.
Original post by Truths
In any case, I'm pretty sure guilt is a natural biproduct of privilege anyway. I mean, who else doesn't feel bad after watching unicef commercials?
Not bad enough to post a woe is me thread mind you, but still bad nethertheless.

Well, people are allowed to seek advice. If they can't do it on online anonymous forums, where can't they? *shrug*
Reply 12
Original post by capitalismstinks
You have to understand that the purveyors of white guilt are racists who despise white people. White guilt is no different from what we term the 'battered wife syndrome'. Those who suffer from white guilt are victims of psychological, emotional and intellectual oppression.

The first step to overcoming white guilt is to understand that you are a victim of hate and racism yourself. And that those who make you feel guilty are actually the people filled with hate and racism. That's how the 'battered wife syndrome' works. The victim is made to feel like their victimhood is their own fault.

The first step forward is just to challenge some of the accusations thrown at white people. Once you start educating yourself, the white guilt quickly drops away, and is replaced with outrage as the lies are quickly exposed for what they are.

Psychopaths prey on compassion. Never let psychopaths use your compassion against you.

Absolutely outstanding post!

People should really save this comment for future reference. Some much truth in this statement.
Reply 13
Original post by capitalismstinks

This. An excellent and thoughtful explanation. Classy.
Most of the professional jobs are dominated by asians anyway (finance, medicine etc) and blacks are more physically/socially domineering. The white english presence in urban Britain is declining rapidly (irrepairably so in London)
Original post by ShariahProject
Most of the professional jobs are dominated by asians anyway (finance, medicine etc) and blacks are more physically/socially domineering. The white english presence in urban Britain is declining rapidly (irrepairably so in London)

Rarely though do you see non-Whites in high level positions of management. You have to be ignorant to think that the "white english presence" is "declining". These White CEO's and managers are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Good lord OP. You should not feel guilt for being white for you are part of the most successful ethnic group in history.

Who cares if other whites are racist, many blacks and Muslims are racist towards white people too. Just ignore them and go about your life.

Christ, i half expected you to say it's your duty to have a non white child as retribution.

I don't see why you feel guilty unless you've actually done something that may be considered racist to another person but not to you. Its not like ethnic minorities want you to feel guilty for being white, you can't help your race.

I remember my mum telling me all white people were born racist, obviously that is not true, and I have grown to meet and have white friends. If you want to stop the white guilt stop thinking about it and carry on with your life. That's all you have to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are an individual cannot be hold responsible for others achievements or crimes.

Being proud of your race is truly degenerate as you are claiming pride of something that was biologically determined. You had no choice in the matter.

The same can be said for guilt. You had no say in the matter you cannot be held responsible for other people who share biological traits with you.

'white guilt' is an idea based on historical occurances its important to understand these rather than try and sweep them under the carpet, like some teens with chips on their shoulder here might try tell you to do.

read some books on the subject, not jsut about the african slave trade, but also further a field, to the indian subcontinent, then annexing of chinese lands and their subgigations, to the breeding out of the polyneisians, mauri . the attmepted extermination of the australian aboriginies, removal of the native american,
the displacement of the south american indians - look for example at the story of the West Indies - islands of native indian tribes wiped out to make home for black slaves shipped over to harvests sugar and cotton for white europe. Its not talked about enough- we constantly talk about the nazis, stalin, al queda etc - but hardly anything about the mark white europeans left on the entire planet.

its not about personally taking blame for the past, its about understanding its impact and not trying to take the " its not my fault" argument. maybe when people educate themselves on the background, they can understand and reconcile the idea
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply