M311 - Taiji Dolphin Slaughter Condemnation Motion Watch

This discussion is closed.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
M311 - Taiji Dolphin Slaughter Condemnation Motion, The Rt. Hon. The Legal Eagle MP
This house condemns the half-yearly dolphin slaughter that takes place in Taiji, Japan. The method of capture is through a 'drive hunt' method, using high-speed, diesel powered ships, and metal poles that are dropped into the sea and repeatedly banged with mallets, creating a wall of sound to terrify the Dolphins to swim in the direction the "fishermen" want - this house condemns this practise as inhumane and not "tradition" as the Japanese Government, and fishermen claim.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Once the Dolphins are netted inside a cove on the coast of the town, the Dolphins are molested, wrestled and battered by divers who are sorting those suitable for captivity and those not. Those who are not are taken to the shore of the cove where their flukes (tails) tied with rope and dragged and held to make their killing easier, before having a metal rod plunged into their spine, supposedly to severe their spine, causing instant death, followed by a wooden cork plugged into the hole to stop the bleeding. Sadly, it is documented that that death has lasted upwards of 5 minutes. The remainder of the pod are kept amongst their dead relatives, having seen and heard them being killed, until they meet the same fate or are taken captive. After the killing, the Dolphins are taken to the butcher house (with direct links from Taiji harbour for easy transportation) to be chopped up for meat to be sold.

Those who are taken captive, after watching their relatives suffer incredible pain and swam in their blood, are taken to small holding pens around Taiji and conditioned (trained) to perform tricks for frozen, highly medicated fish - contrary to the natural diet of hunting and killing live fish. They are then transported for many hours (documented up to 16 hours) in coffin-like crates, without food, light or much water (other than a damp towel over them) until they reach their ultimate fate - a marine park, with chlorinated tanks that are far too small for them.

This motion condemns the practise of drive-hunting as it causes terror, trauma and suffering. It also condemns the barbaric practise of slaughter used. This motion further condemns the transport, sale, purchase and keep of live Dolphins in these unnatural and horrific conditions. This motion throws out the justification that this is "tradition" and "culture". This motion accepts the evidence that the Dolphin meat is Mercury filled, and that eating Dolphin meat is contains essentially poison.

This motion notes that the "fishermen" have exceeded their quota of Risso's dolphins for the 2014/15 season, and interprets this as sheer ignorance to the Japanese Government, who issue the quotas, and a sign of the disregard for innocent life to fulfil their greed for money.

This motion calls for several actions:
1) Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs to openly condemn this practise, and implore it be ceased immediately, on behalf of the British Republic through a public/press statement letter to the Japanese Prime Minister and Taiji Town Mayor.
2) The British Government to seek support of other nations to provide heavy sanctions and trade embargoes to Japan, unless they cease this practise and legislate against its legality.
3) The British Government to encourage boycotts to marine parks of any form
4) The British Government to strongly advise against the consumption of dolphin meat - as a it poses a health risk to the public.

5) To dispel the idea that this practise is "tradition" and "culture", and is in fact legal barbarism.
6) The British Government to publicly support the work of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's Operation Infinite Patience, and the Cove Guardians that monitor and publicise the goings-on in Taiji.
7) The British Government to openly condemn the work of person(s) and organisation(s) who depict Sea Shepherd as a 'terrorist' organisation.

This motion accepts that much of what goes on in Taiji is based on money - a live, trained Dolphin can get millions of US Dollars for the fishermen. Should demand fall, there will be no need for this "tradition" to continue. This motion believes that with public awareness these atrocities can be ended - that is what the motion calls for. "

If the following links could be attached, I'd be grateful:
http://www.seashepherd.org/cove-guardians/
http://www.thecovemovie.com/
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...y-levels-japan
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye!!!
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
Dislike Japan and Denmark for the dolphin murders! Aye. Dolphin killers should be hung IMO.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to kill and eat a dolphin then choose a humane way to do it. Aye.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye!
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A very strong Aye! It is sickening how these dolphins are treated.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Dislike Japan and Denmark for the dolphin murders! Aye. Dolphin killers should be hung IMO.
Denmark kill dolphins?
tehFrance
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Denmark kill dolphins?
Ah, you didn't know that did you! Did I shatter the Scandinavian illusion?

The Faroe Islands, part of the Kingdom of Denmark, regularly practice dolphin hunts and slaughter which is just despicable. I do wonder why you don't know about this, it's pretty common knowledge.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah, you didn't know that did you! Did I shatter the Scandinavian illusion?

The Faroe Islands, part of the Kingdom of Denmark, regularly practice dolphin hunts and slaughter which is just despicable. I do wonder why you don't know about this, it's pretty common knowledge.
Oh, I figured it'd be there or Greenland. But at first I thought you meant that the Danish mainlanders hunted dolphins at first. It is tragic though, we shouldn't be killing dolphins, especially this day and age.
tehFrance
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Oh, I figured it'd be there or Greenland. But at first I thought you meant that the Danish mainlanders hunted dolphins at first. It is tragic though, we shouldn't be killing dolphins, especially this day and age.
The Faroe Islands, while an autonomous place, is still under the overall command of the Kingdom of Denmark which makes it Danish as far as I'm concerned. It's a despicable Danish practice which should be outlawed and those taking part, shot!
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is a great motion, this is the cruelest animal rights story I think I have ever heard.

Although, let's not go down the "don't hunt dolphins, hunt other animals" route.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Faroe Islands, while an autonomous place, is still under the overall command of the Kingdom of Denmark which makes it Danish as far as I'm concerned. It's a despicable Danish practice which should be outlawed and those taking part, shot!
It is implanted in their culture much like the despicable slaughter of bulls for public entertainment is in Spain's.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree whole heartedly.
tehFrance
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
It is implanted in their culture much like the despicable slaughter of bulls for public entertainment is in Spain's.
I honestly couldn't give two ****s for their culture, it's disgusting and degrading. I think if they wish to do that then we should be allowed to hunt and kill them, see how they like it
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye.

All countries should follow the lead of the TSR realm and protect their stocks. Additionally, Dolphins are extremely intelligent as animals go and we can't rule out them being self aware.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Aye.

All countries should follow the lead of the TSR realm and protect their stocks. Additionally, Dolphins are extremely intelligent as animals go and we can't rule out them being self aware.
:erm: pretty sure we've already proven they are self aware....
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye!

Posted from TSR Mobile
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nay. If we do business with and don't sanction countries with vile human rights records like Saudi Arabia, it would be inconsistent to sanction Japan for animal rights abuses.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tengentoppa)
Nay. If we do business with and don't sanction countries with vile human rights records like Saudi Arabia, it would be inconsistent to sanction Japan for animal rights abuses.
I'm completely happy to stop trade with Saudi if you want, that way we can stop burning oil in our power stations.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (294)
65.63%
No (154)
34.38%

Watched Threads