gracewalker
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want to get a degree in Law so I'm currently thinking of A-level courses that would prepare me and make me a good applicant for Universities in the future. According to most websites and forums, studying law doesn't require you to have A-Levels in anything specific except analytically challenging subjects. I'd like to take History, English Literature & Language and Sociology at college. Do you think these are good options? Thanks.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just popped this in the Law forum for you
perflous
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most applicants have four subjects to AS and then three to A2 - are you doing the combined Lit and Lang or taking them as two separate subjects?

With regards to your choices - History is fine, English Lit and Lang is slightly shaky (English Lit is regarded far more highly, so it's best just to do that), and in all honesty Sociology isn't regarded as a serious subject. Have you though about something like Economics? Politics? Maths? You don't need to take all essay-based subjects for Law.
Yellow2914
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends what university you want to go to?

If you want to go to a low one say, Stafford,, take anything, they only care about UCAS>

If you want to go to a medium university, say Keele, then you will need to take probably at least History, as History and law tend to go well.

If you want to go to a Russel Group University, like Birmingham, then check out their informed choices PDF, just google Informed choices, from reading it now, it says English and History.

If you want to a go to the top university, Oxford, Durham, Cambridge, London School of Economics, then you will, like Perflous says, have to take 3 "hard alevels". Your AS probs doesn't matter that much.

An example of this would be, English Lit, History, Physiology and Maths

Good luck!
K-Peanuts
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in my last year of A levels and have got a place to read law at Cambridge with History, English Lit, Latin and French. I reckon English and History will serve you well but if you want to sociology I would recommend also picking another subject (one that is not considered a 'soft' subject). Also they don't have to be all essay subjects! (was just a coincidence that mine were)

Law doesn't have any subjects that are explicitly required but there is an expectation that you will be doing subjects which are relatively academically 'rigorous'.

In all honesty I would suggest you pick the subjects you are most interested in. A levels eventually get quite hard and the most powerful motivation you will have to continue will be your passion for the subject. I firmly believe that people also do better in subjects they genuinely like and universities are generally looking for really impressive grades, which are tough to achieve anyway and even tougher if you are only doing a subject because you think you have to (and actually really hate it).

If, after this, you still can't pick subjects you like which lend themselves to pursuing a degree in law, maybe Law as a degree might not be for you? Have you considered doing another subject at university and then doing a law conversion course?

Hope this helps! x
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Yellow636)
Depends what university you want to go to?

If you want to go to a low one say, Stafford,, take anything, they only care about UCAS>

If you want to go to a medium university, say Keele, then you will need to take probably at least History, as History and law tend to go well.

If you want to go to a Russel Group University, like Birmingham, then check out their informed choices PDF, just google Informed choices, from reading it now, it says English and History.

If you want to a go to the top university, Oxford, Durham, Cambridge, London School of Economics, then you will, like Perflous says, have to take 3 "hard alevels". Your AS probs doesn't matter that much.

An example of this would be, English Lit, History, Physiology and Maths

Good luck!
That is not true. Durham and Oxford at least will accept any subject apart from General Studies (both Durham and Oxford) and Critical Thinking (Durham, Oxford accepts it). The "hard subjects" misconception is unfortunately too widespread, when in fact the subjects one takes are not as important as some people claim them to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gracewalker)
I want to get a degree in Law so I'm currently thinking of A-level courses that would prepare me and make me a good applicant for Universities in the future. According to most websites and forums, studying law doesn't require you to have A-Levels in anything specific except analytically challenging subjects. I'd like to take History, English Literature & Language and Sociology at college. Do you think these are good options? Thanks.
The strongest non-Science & Maths combination would be;
History
Philosophy
English Literature
Economics
This combination would look good to universities like Oxbridge, Durham LSE, UCL, King's etc.
Yellow2914
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by *Stefan*)
That is not true. Durham and Oxford at least will accept any subject apart from General Studies (both Durham and Oxford) and Critical Thinking (Durham, Oxford accepts it). The "hard subjects" misconception is unfortunately too widespread, when in fact the subjects one takes are not as important as some people claim them to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always thought they were xD

Im fine with that as i took ICT, Business and Chemistry at A2

I didn't apply to some universities based on my 2 "soft" 1 "hard" combination. Wish someone had said before
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Yellow636)
I always thought they were xD

Im fine with that as i took ICT, Business and Chemistry at A2

I didn't apply to some universities based on my 2 "soft" 1 "hard" combination. Wish someone had said before
I know I got an offer from Warwick Kings and other Russel groups with history applied business and sociology! This was for History and I got three AS grades A and did the EPQ during a2
Yellow2914
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Magnus Taylor)
I know I got an offer from Warwick Kings and other Russel groups with history applied business and sociology! This was for History and I got three AS grades A and did the EPQ during a2
I got offers for Lancaster, Durham, Birmingham, Keele and Exeter with Business A, Chemistry B, Maths (AS) A and ICT A.

Going to firm lancaster
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (712)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (898)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (396)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise