Is it ok that students who assault teachers aren't investigated by the police?

Watch this thread
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
A teacher was knocked unconscious and taken to hospital with head injuries after a can of coke was dropped on her head from 4 storeys by a pupil.

Full story here

Although the police have recorded it as a crime, for fear of "criminalising" students the pupil will be dealt with via school beat crime protocol.

The pupil will managed through the school disciplinary system.

Is this ok?

Surely if a young person did this to a teacher outside of the school it would be investigated formally by the police?

If a person did this to another person in public with the intention of hitting them with a coke can and harming them it would also be formally investigated as a crime.

There have been 3000 attacks on teachers by students in Wales over the past 2 and half years. What is going on?!

Are we doing enough to protect UK teachers?
karmacrunch
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by She-Ra)
A teacher was knocked unconscious and taken to hospital with head injuries after a can of coke was dropped on her head from 4 storeys by a pupil.

Although the police have recorded it as a crime, for fear of "criminalising" students the pupil will be dealt with via school beat crime protocol.
:eek::eek:

I that's a pretty awful argument! The pupil should be punished. What if they or their friends decided to do it again? Surely punishing them properly will ensure that they don't do it again?

What if she had died? :lolwut:

I wonder how old they were as well... :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Who is "we"?

This is the school asking (for non-prosecution) here. The teacher could make a criminal complaint - or more effectively bring a civil action. The police don't have to listen to the school. Everyone involved has acted poorly.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I think it is really case dependant because if like a year 6 or to some extent a year 7 did anything shorty of brandishing a leathal weapon then police would be disproportionate, but in this case I would definitely suggest police questioning is proportionate, just not criminal convictions unless the teacher can no-longer work/almost died.
llys
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No, this is not OK. Assault should always be criminalised. Accidents should not. But I think the police has to determine if it was assault or an accident. I don't think headteachers have proper training in how to lead such an investigation, and they have a vested interest in protecting the reputation of their school.
nulli tertius
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by llys)
Assault should always be criminalised.
So every playground fight should result in prosecution?

Every angry child who lashes out with his fists at a teacher and is quickly restrained should be up before the youth court?

It is always a matter of fact and degree whether the police should be involved in criminal behaviour in schools (and there will be hundreds of crimes a day in the average secondary school).

The school just got it wrong on this occasion.
Rakas21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
God no. Punish the child and their parents, how else will they learn discipline in today's era.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads