The Student Room Group

Advice Please: AS Levels

Hi everyone. Hope someone can help me out!

This post is quite long but I will appreciate it if you read it. In short: I am taking AS levels in the wrong subjects but I want to be a vet. Where do I go from here?

I am currently studying for my AS levels... in English, History, Psychology and Sociology. At the start of the year I was unsure of what I wanted to study at university so I just picked subjects I thought I would enjoy. Now I am in trouble because my exams are in May and I'm doing the wrong subjects for Veterinary Medicine!

I have been given the option to take up Biology now and cram-revise and take it in May alongside my other subjects - I've began revision and I am finding it bearable but I'm still unsure if I can achieve an A in this time.

The plan would be if I take Biology now and achieve a good grade (A or B) I can take A2 Biology and Psychology next year, drop my other subjects and take BOTH AS and A2 Chemistry.

In terms of grades, I achieved 8 A*s and 4 As at GCSE and got AAAB in my AS mocks (the B was a silly mistake). The only problem is I'm doing the wrong subjects!!

The route I am looking at right now is quite difficult and involves a lot of cramming everything in a short period of time (all this work for my AS and A2 grades alongside the amount of work experience I need!!).

If I retook Year 12 next year with the correct subjects would I still have a chance of getting into Veterinary Medicine at university or do they look down upon retakes? I will probably AAAA grades this year but in the wrong subjects...

I am capable of taking AS Biology now and AS and A2 Chemistry next year, but it's just finding the time to do work experience at the same time really.

Sorry I'm just in a bit of a crisis!

I know alternative options include the Year 0 route if you get good grades in the wrong subjects, however that's 6 years in university; an additional £9,000 of debt. I'd rather do an extra free year at Sixth Form than an extra year at university to be honest, and there's no guarantee that I would get in due to how competitive it is!

By the way, I am positive that Veterinary is what I want to do. I have done extensive research and I can't see myself doing anything else really. I don't have a romantic view of the profession or anything - I have looked into all the gruesome, stressful and emotionally demanding aspects and even then I am still passionate and interested. I know that being a vet isn't what you expect as a child, but I have finally found the career I want to enter after years of feeling lost. I just hope I can get there. :smile:
The easiest thing to do would be to repeat year 12 with the right subjects this time. I would personally e-mails the Universities you wish to apply to in order to ask whether they would accept you - different unis may have different approaches to this situation so be sure to email each one individually.That will help you make a more informed decision on whether you need to cram so much or if you can spend an extra year at sixth form.

Don't forget the work experience requirement before applying to uni as well!
Reply 2
Original post by SilverstarDJ
The easiest thing to do would be to repeat year 12 with the right subjects this time. I would personally e-mails the Universities you wish to apply to in order to ask whether they would accept you - different unis may have different approaches to this situation so be sure to email each one individually.That will help you make a more informed decision on whether you need to cram so much or if you can spend an extra year at sixth form.

Don't forget the work experience requirement before applying to uni as well!

Thank you so much for your response! I've just emailed Nottingham, Liverpool, Bristol, RVC and Surrey so I'll wait and see what they say.
Reply 3
Soooo, Bristol's suggestion was to continue with my current subjects to prove I can achieve AAA in two years, and then take a third year to do the relevant Biology and Chemistry A levels. I have a bad feeling that the universities are going to have different policies though...
Original post by Direhusky
Soooo, Bristol's suggestion was to continue with my current subjects to prove I can achieve AAA in two years, and then take a third year to do the relevant Biology and Chemistry A levels. I have a bad feeling that the universities are going to have different policies though...

Yes, probably but you might need to do something that fits in with the majority of the universities to try to keep your options as open as possible. I wonder what the others will say, hope they get back to you soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending