The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Biology - BY5 (17th June 2015)

With the Summer exams in the not to distant future, I thought this thread would be useful for discussion, revision tips and general help with the WJEC BY4 biology exam.

The Exam: Wednesday 17th June 2015 (morning - 9am)
Duration: 1h 45m

Specification: http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/GCE%20Biology%20Spec%202009%20onwards%20(31-03-14).pdf?language_id=1

WJEC Website: http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/biology/biology-gce/#qualSearch

Maybe we can start off this thread with what you got last year, grades and UMS in each exam, and what you want to achieve this year. Also what topics you are struggling in or what you need help with, it's a start!!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I shall start...

Last Year I achieved and A overall (288/300 UMS - 96%)
BY1 - 118/120 UMS - 98%
BY2 - 110/120 UMS - 92%
BY3 - 60/60 UMS - 100%

This year I am predicted and aiming for an A* in biology.

I on my mock didn't do too well with photosynthesis and I'm also really struggling with synoptic questions. anyone got a list of things to revise from last year that could come up as synoptic questions that relate to this years topic, don't really want to revise the whole of last years stuff too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Last Year I achieved an A
BY1 - 90/120 UMS - 75%
BY2 - 106/120 UMS - 88%
BY3 - 54/60 UMS - 90%

Resitting BY1, not started revision for it yet, despite it being only 6 weeks away, but hoping I can get 90%+ in the simple biology unit

Gives me leeway for A2 then giving me a 90% average for AS hoping an A for the BY6 we done earlier this year, Ill need like two high C's in the BY5 and BY4 exams, but im aiming for 85%+ in both
Reply 3
Original post by ThePrestigeUK
Last Year I achieved an A
BY1 - 90/120 UMS - 75%
BY2 - 106/120 UMS - 88%
BY3 - 54/60 UMS - 90%

Resitting BY1, not started revision for it yet, despite it being only 6 weeks away, but hoping I can get 90%+ in the simple biology unit

Gives me leeway for A2 then giving me a 90% average for AS hoping an A for the BY6 we done earlier this year, Ill need like two high C's in the BY5 and BY4 exams, but im aiming for 85%+ in both

Hi, I'm studying WJEC AS Biology this year and was thinking whether you have any useful resources/notes for BY1 and BY2?

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Natalierm2707
I shall start...

Last Year I achieved and A overall (288/300 UMS - 96%)
BY1 - 118/120 UMS - 98%
BY2 - 110/120 UMS - 92%
BY3 - 60/60 UMS - 100%

This year I am predicted and aiming for an A* in biology.

I on my mock didn't do too well with photosynthesis and I'm also really struggling with synoptic questions. anyone got a list of things to revise from last year that could come up as synoptic questions that relate to this years topic, don't really want to revise the whole of last years stuff too.

Hi, I'm studying WJEC AS Biology this year and was thinking whether you have any useful resources/notes for BY1 and BY2?

Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by docsta15

Thanks

I don't have any of my AS revision bar my booklets, I gave it to one of my friends who is ressiting this year... So apart from the booklets my school gave me (pretty poor revision resource) I have nothing in afraid.

In terms of resources I used, I made full use of the WJEC AS textbook! It's amazing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Natalierm2707
I don't have any of my AS revision bar my booklets, I gave it to one of my friends who is ressiting this year... So apart from the booklets my school gave me (pretty poor revision resource) I have nothing in afraid.

In terms of resources I used, I made full use of the WJEC AS textbook! It's amazing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks and congratulations on your results and also do you have any good tips for BY3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by docsta15

Thanks

Pretty much read through the AS WJEC revision guide, and practise as many questions as you can.

Also have a look through the teachers guide, I didn't know about the teachers guide last year, if I did I would have certainly got a better mark in BY1.
Reply 8
Pretty much read through the AS WJEC revision guide, and practise as many questions as you can.

Also have a look through the teachers guide, I didn't know about the teachers guide last year, if I did I would have certainly got a better mark in BY1.

Thank you very much and i wish you all the best for your A2 exams :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, what would be the best resource for a2 biology? The student revision guide does not seem to be of much help for a2 than it was for as...:frown:
Original post by newlight99
Hi, what would be the best resource for a2 biology? The student revision guide does not seem to be of much help for a2 than it was for as...:frown:

My revision this year consists of :
Reading through my notes, which cover every point of the teachers guide
Reading through the revision guide for light reading
Reading through the CGP book, sometimes their explanations help me
Looking at youtube videos

Soon I will also start past papers / essay practise

So i'm behind schedule I would have liked to already start these but just too much work hopefully I can get every past paper done by June

Hope that helps :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by newlight99

I use a whole host of resources, the student guide the specification the teachers guide, as well as YouTube videos and my notes.

The best advice i can give you is to actively revise as it's the only way you can truly learn things, reading is great for consolidation but if you truly can't understand something go away and make a poster or notes about it in depth in your own words!! Active revision is the best for success, as are past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't rely too much on past papers though , with biology and A2 and WJEC , they test on the depth of your knowledge from my research. Hardly any questions are repeated, but for the essays and keywords they are good.
Reply 13
Does anybody have any notes for BY5 that I could have? Our teacher includes things the he thinks are "not necessary, but interesting" and it makes revision difficult?

Cheers
I did AS AQA biology last year, and I've switched to WJEC for reasons. In AQA questions are quite likely to be similar, and it made doing past exam papers worthwhile. Is it as important in WJEC or should I just revise the information and be prepared to use what I know in different ways? It sounds like there might be no point doing anything other than looking at what keywords are used.
Original post by ManEatingFish
I did AS AQA biology last year, and I've switched to WJEC for reasons. In AQA questions are quite likely to be similar, and it made doing past exam papers worthwhile. Is it as important in WJEC or should I just revise the information and be prepared to use what I know in different ways? It sounds like there might be no point doing anything other than looking at what keywords are used.

Try every paper once, but there's no point doing them more than once imo

Learn the essays, plus learn the teachers guide and you will get an high A ; grade boundaries are always low with WJEC.
Reply 16
I became obsessed with these threads last year in the lead up to exams!
Anyways....
Last year I achieved an A-
Annoyingly I can't find my results slip and it doesn't say marks on the certificates! Aargh!
I know I got 100% UMS in BY2&3, but it was lower in BY1- a B I think.
I'd love to get an A this year....

Just a little question- how many hours of revision are you doing on average per day? I know it can't be judged by hours per say, but I'm having a little panic that I'm slacking! I average at about 2 hours (For all subjects, not each) a day not including revision done during lessons at college, and plan to gradually increase up to my exams....what about you all? Please reassure me! (I may be having a nervous breakdown)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by crawfy
I became obsessed with these threads last year in the lead up to exams!
Anyways....
Last year I achieved an A-
Annoyingly I can't find my results slip and it doesn't say marks on the certificates! Aargh!
I know I got 100% UMS in BY2&3, but it was lower in BY1- a B I think.
I'd love to get an A this year....

Just a little question- how many hours of revision are you doing on average per day? I know it can't be judged by hours per say, but I'm having a little panic that I'm slacking! I average at about 2 hours (For all subjects, not each) a day not including revision done during lessons at college, and plan to gradually increase up to my exams....what about you all? Please reassure me! (I may be having a nervous breakdown)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Recently I have been not so well so Ii have been doing less!! but I would usually do about 5/6 hours a day of revision (on sundays and thursdays I do around 1 as I have other commitments of my job).

I wouldnt worry, people do more than others, its all about how you learn and how much you can cope with personally.
Any revision tips for by5 because it so much content and nothing is sticking in -_- everytime I'm revising biology I feel like it's not effective
Reply 19
Original post by sassy_teen
Any revision tips for by5 because it so much content and nothing is sticking in -_- everytime I'm revising biology I feel like it's not effective

The most effective way that revise biology is big mind maps on a3 paper or, when relevant, large diagrams so that I can visualise the processes and remember the details. But it all
Depends on what type of learner you are. Once I've finished writing up notes on all the topics I'll start with past papers- perhaps try that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest