The Student Room Group

Is art for gcse hard?

im in year 9 and we are now starting to choose our gcse options, i was planning to take DT because ive heard it was an easy A/A* but i dont really enjoy it as much as art. But ive heard art is a lot of coursework and its quite hard, i am good at it but i dont want to take it if its hard to get an A/A* in :/
Reply 1
Swallow some paints, vomit said paints onto a canvas.

= A* and Lady Gaga's official Dress Designer.
GCSE Art is very time consuming and it's the one students moan about the most.

Talk to some Year 11s ... you also need to find out from your school how they schedule the final exam as you can end up missing valuable revision lessons/time for revision.
It's really time consuming, but if you enjoy it and you're good at it, it's not that difficult to get an A/A*. You have to be prepared to do loaaaads of work though. If you're organised, it's manageable. I personally found it a nightmare by Year 11, only because I was awfully lazy.
Original post by peach2000
im in year 9 and we are now starting to choose our gcse options, i was planning to take DT because ive heard it was an easy A/A* but i dont really enjoy it as much as art. But ive heard art is a lot of coursework and its quite hard, i am good at it but i dont want to take it if its hard to get an A/A* in :/

I am in year 11 now and when i was choosing my options, I chose the ones I was the best at, not what I enjoyed. But for most of them, i enjoyed my best subjects.
I chose art because I found it easy and relaxing. However, in year 10, It was so stressful. There was no art or drawing involved and it was just all writing!!! I did more writing in art than I did in english at one point! Now i'm in year 11, for some reason it is alot easier... we got alot of the hard bits out the way in year 10.

This may be slightly different from your school because my school doesn't offer GCSE art, we had to go straight for the BTEC... which is equivalent to a GCSE but is harder to get.

Overall, I still love art and I think the work that we produce and learn about is super interesting.... I just think the amount of work that is expected of us is too much... especially ontop of other heavy subjects which is what I had to do. Good luck with your decision...

Hope i helped
xx
Reply 5
Original post by kingsophie
I am in year 11 now and when i was choosing my options, I chose the ones I was the best at, not what I enjoyed. But for most of them, i enjoyed my best subjects.
I chose art because I found it easy and relaxing. However, in year 10, It was so stressful. There was no art or drawing involved and it was just all writing!!! I did more writing in art than I did in english at one point! Now i'm in year 11, for some reason it is alot easier... we got alot of the hard bits out the way in year 10.

This may be slightly different from your school because my school doesn't offer GCSE art, we had to go straight for the BTEC... which is equivalent to a GCSE but is harder to get.

Overall, I still love art and I think the work that we produce and learn about is super interesting.... I just think the amount of work that is expected of us is too much... especially ontop of other heavy subjects which is what I had to do. Good luck with your decision...

Hope i helped
xx

you did! thankyou, i think i am planning to take art as i enjoy it lots :smile:
Firstly, it depends how creative you are as a person, the more creative you are the easier you'll find the exam (because it isn't all just coursework!)

Also, I wouldn't advise taking art as a GCSE if you do not have the time for it, it does take a lot of dedication and time.

Finally, as a student who is in Year 11 studying both Art and Product Design as GCSE subjects I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend taking Product Design AND Art due to the fact they are both time consuming subjects. Keep in mind you also have your compulsory subjects to dedicate time to as well. Product design (or resistant materials) is (are) a very tough subject to pass and as I'm predicted A* in both art and product design, it is very stressful. Art is easy to pass BUT your art teacher will push you for higher grades.
I'm not taking art but some of my friends are and they have to spend A LOT of time on it, some of them are doing several hours a night!
If you want to do really well in art, I'd say (from my experience) don't do it unless you're naturally talented at drawing, painting etc. I had friends who loved it so much and put endless amounts of effort into it but ended up not doing very well because they weren't naturally good at it. I took it at GCSE though because I wanted to improve my drawing. I did but only ended up with a C because I didn't have any natural talent. This might just be how our teachers marked us though, but that's what I'd say anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by HyruleTenshi
If you want to do really well in art, I'd say (from my experience) don't do it unless you're naturally talented at drawing, painting etc. I had friends who loved it so much and put endless amounts of effort into it but ended up not doing very well because they weren't naturally good at it. I took it at GCSE though because I wanted to improve my drawing. I did but only ended up with a C because I didn't have any natural talent. This might just be how our teachers marked us though, but that's what I'd say anyway.

im quite good at drawing but not that creative.. ive got 90+ marks in art in my previous years and i enjoy, should i take it?
Reply 10
i find it hell and so time consuming

my friend takes art she is really good at it, but it does test your patience which resulted in her ripping up her coursework.
Reply 12
Art was the worst GCSE decision I made.

Time consuming, tiring, a lot of analysis, so much work that needs to be done to show you've thought about what you're doing.

If you have the time for it, then do it, but do be aware that it does take a lot of time away from your other subjects. The only good thing about it was that we did our 10hr exam around Easter, which is when our final coursework was handed in too. This meant that by the time the summer exams came around, art had been handed in and dealt with, so that was a pressure taken off. Art is also really hard to get good grade in (for our exam board you needed 76/80 for an A*)
im quite good at drawing but not that creative.. ive got 90+ marks in art in my previous years and i enjoy, should i take it?

Well if that's the case you might end up getting very little free choice and just have to do what the teacher says for a lot of your pieces in order to get the best marks in your sketchbook for like mindmaps and things. If you really love it then take it but that's just the advice I would give.
Reply 14
You need like 90% to even get an A...I dropped that bitch

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest