The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of sheffield Firmers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harry218
Economics. But I am really struggling to choose which accommodation to apply for ? I don't really know much about the accommodation, has anyone got recommendations to which ones are good to apply for? pref one close to the econ department and also I am really sociable so would be going out a lot i guess.

Endcliffe is by FAR the best. You'd be lucky if theres any space left because you've left it a bit late to apply
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by EmiratesCaptain
Endcliffe is by FAR the best. You'd be lucky if theres any space left because you've left it a bit late to apply

What makes endcliffe different to the others; ranmoor or city village?
What makes endcliffe different to the others; ranmoor or city village?

Endcliffe is the biggest of the 3 and has a reputation for being the most social because of this and also because of the distance from everything, e.g. long enough that you talk to people and get to know them more but not far enough that you have to take other types of transport. The catered accommodation is also based in Endcliffe, which again means you spend more time with people.

That's completely wrong, accommodation isn't given on a first served basis until a bit after results day and even then Endcliffe is massive. You might get a less desirable room within Endcliffe if you apply say late August but you'll still get a place in Endcliffe.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Endcliffe is the biggest of the 3 and has a reputation for being the most social because of this and also because of the distance from everything, e.g. long enough that you talk to people and get to know them more but not far enough that you have to take other types of transport. The catered accommodation is also based in Endcliffe, which again means you spend more time with people.

That's completely wrong, accommodation isn't given on a first served basis until a bit after results day and even then Endcliffe is massive. You might get a less desirable room within Endcliffe if you apply say late August but you'll still get a place in Endcliffe.

Hey thanks :smile: I thought self catered would be the most popular, but i guess catered will be good for me as i cant cook haha. I think I will look into applying at endcliffe as it sounds like a good option from what you said! and i am not too fussed about accommodation as long as it is a sociable one:smile: Is this where you have applied?
Hey thanks :smile: I thought self catered would be the most popular, but i guess catered will be good for me as i cant cook haha. I think I will look into applying at endcliffe as it sounds like a good option from what you said! and i am not too fussed about accommodation as long as it is a sociable one:smile: Is this where you have applied?

Self catered is the most popular and makes up most of Endcliffe, what I meant was all the catered units are within Endcliffe, specifically an area called Stephenson which is slightly away from the more modern, main village (although closer to the uni and a lot of people in Endcliffe will walk through there anyway because it's the shortest way). I'd advise teaching yourself how to cook over the summer anyway because it means you can get a bit more creative with your meals.

As long as I haven't put you off the others, you can be just as sociable in City or Ranmoor it's just a little more difficult because you'll be less inclined to walk to other people and vice versa. Especially with City you get a bit used to everything being 5 minutes away and if you have to go much further it feels like a bit of a hassle :tongue:
Original post by HauwaMo
Anyone for BioEngineering??

yep!
Original post by emzcutts
I know a lot of people have chosen endcliffe and ranmoor, I'm not moving out but I'm from Sheffield and these are the kind of 'posher' areas so I imagine the accommodation is some of the better ones, if that helps any:colondollar:
Thought I'd say hi as a fellow economics student, can't find many of us!

woo economists ! haha, we'll have to hunt them all down in freshers week emily
Original post by Helloworld_95
Bit of a warning in case you don't already know. Having an offer for the year in North America does not guarantee you will get to go, it's just an application for one of 2 places available and other students can apply at any time during first year or the beginning of second year. So it's very competitive to actually be able to go, sorry if you were unaware.

I was told pretty much all of that except that no other students could apply, only the ones who had chose it through ucas.
Any for Geography?:h:
Original post by adoremorrissey
musiccccccccccc

Music!!!

They don't allocate it til results day
Original post by LibertineDream
Economics and Politics :smile:

I'm doing straight politics, do you how many modules will be with dual honour student?
Original post by Anna_Crump
They don't allocate it til results day

They do for people with Unconditional offers. Anyway I got told by a current student there to apply early because he said it's the only way he got a room
Reply 73
They do for people with Unconditional offers. Anyway I got told by a current student there to apply early because he said it's the only way he got a room

Unconditionals are going to be a minority but you are right in that respect.
Anna_Crump is broadly correct though as firmers who hit or exceed their offer grades will be higher up the queue than people who applied earlier but missed a grade or two (yet still got in) and people who got in as insurance, clearing, adjustment etc. These factors wouldn't be known till results day.
Aerospace Eng , Anyone else??
Original post by will_iredale
Aerospace Eng , Anyone else??

Yeah me too, can't wait to use the new diamond building!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi folks,

You might be interested to know that the official University of Sheffield Firmers Facebook group is now live. The Firmers Group gives you a chance to find and chat to your future course/house mates, discover all the great stuff you can do at the university and see what life at the University of Sheffield is all about.

You can find the group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1529785767305358 - hope to see you there!

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield
Original post by hailsatan
Music!!!

MUSIC FRIENDS,

I knew I was not the only delusional person to have picked music! I am not alone!
Original post by adoremorrissey
MUSIC FRIENDS,

I knew I was not the only delusional person to have picked music! I am not alone!

Yes!! What do you play?
Yeah me too, can't wait to use the new diamond building!

Posted from TSR Mobile

me too :colondollar:
Where did u apply for accomodation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending