ps1265A
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
1) Say if I'm considering the synapse between a sensory neurone and intermediate neurone. The definition of a synapse is the point when the axon of one neurone meets the dendrite of another. I don't understand why it's axon-dendrite, shouldn't it be two dendrites?

2) When nerve impulses are passed from one neurone to another, is the order ALWAYS sensory -> intermediate -> motor? Can a sensory neurone pass an impulse to another sensory neurone?

3) Does every receptor have it's OWN neuronal pathway that is used every time an action potential is propagated in that sensory neurone connecting the receptor?

4) Does each dendrite connect to MANY different nerve cells? I mean, if we have a sensory neurone, will it connect to like a millions of intermediate neurones because it has millions of dendrite?
If so, doesn't this conflict with the above question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lighfy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ps1265A)
1) Say if I'm considering the synapse between a sensory neurone and intermediate neurone. The definition of a synapse is the point when the axon of one neurone meets the dendrite of another. I don't understand why it's axon-dendrite, shouldn't it be two dendrites?

2) When nerve impulses are passed from one neurone to another, is the order ALWAYS sensory -> intermediate -> motor? Can a sensory neurone pass an impulse to another sensory neurone?

3) Does every receptor have it's OWN neuronal pathway that is used every time an action potential is propagated in that sensory neurone connecting the receptor?

4) Does each dendrite connect to MANY different nerve cells? I mean, if we have a sensory neurone, will it connect to like a millions of intermediate neurones because it has millions of dendrite?

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) Think about the direction of transmission of an action potential. In sensory neurones, it is transmitted from the receptor to the dendrites, and crosses a synapse to generate an action potential in the axon terminal of the next neurone.

2) I'd imagine that it is sensory -> intermediate -> motor, because sensory neurones have receptors which only detect energy changes in the environment, unless they have sodium ion channels which allow them to generate action potentials (not too sure about this one).

3) If I'm understanding the question properly, both yes and no. Certain neurones may converge at the same synapse to help generate an action potential in the post-synaptic neurone. Others may have their own pathway and undergo "temporal summation" instead.

4) Kind of answered this in part 3.

Hope this can come of some use to you
HenryHiddler
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ps1265A)

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) Just want to clear something up - you can also get dendrite-dendrite synapses, called a dendrodendritic synapse, so you might be getting dendrite-dendrite transmission. Axodendritic synapses are the ones conventionally taught.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
29.15%
No - I have already returned home (24)
12.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (45)
22.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (19)
9.55%
No - I live at home during term anyway (53)
26.63%

Watched Threads