ExamPressure
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

I'm a first year medical student who has recently started studying anatomy. As has been recommended by the university and others, I feel it would be useful to acquire an anatomy textbook. At the moment, I'm not sure which textbook to get out of Moore's clincally oriented anatomy and Gray's anatomy for students. Would anyone here (older years or anyone with experience of these books) be able to advise me on this decision as this book will hopefully last me throughout medical school.

I have also heard that an anatomy atlas is extremely useful. The university has recommended Rohen's Colour Atlas of Anatomy (11th ed). Any advise on this too would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your help
Blatant Troll
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would look at both of them in the library if you can, and see which style you prefer.

FWIW, I didn't do this in first year and just bought Gray's because, well, the original Gray's was GOAT. It served its purpose, but:
1) Revisiting anatomy a few years later, I actually prefer Moore's (imho, higher yield with less 'plastic' illustrations)
2) There are tons of anatomy textbooks on the shelves at the library, so I just grab one of these to work with while I'm in there, rather than lugging around my own stuff. Consider borrowing instead of buying, if there are enough copies (I can't be the only person on here with a pristine Kumar & Clark for a doorstop )
Larry31
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definitely agree with taking them both out of the library and seeing which one you prefer. I much prefer Gray's (don't know why, it just seems clearer to me) whereas my housemate swears by Moore's. You'll find that you take to one of them and stick with it. I also found having a book with actual prosection photos quite useful in the run up to the anatomy spotter exams. I think I actually used Rohen's for that, and it was fantastic but I wouldn't buy it because it's pretty pricey!
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Clinical Anatomy by Ellis and Anatomy at a Glance - cuts out the waffle and gets straight to the point.

But out of those two, I prefer Gray's. But you need to see what works best for you, so go and have a quick flick through both as Blatant Troll says.
Friar Chris
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
  • Gray's has quite a lot of text to go with the diagrams; it does a decent job of covering the functional elements of the anatomy as well as just demonstrating and describing what is going on. I can't comment on Rohen's.

• An atlas can be very useful; Gray's textbook is a textbook and not a pure reference material and so for more detailed schematics and illustrations an atlas can be a useful companion. It's not useful enough to warrant buying one, though: go to the library and try out Gray's Atlas (as it's the same colour and illustration scheme as Gray's Anatomy it complements it well and makes comparison easy) and also Rohen's Color [sic] Atlas of Anatomy, which is a cadaveric atlas (full colour, gloss paper photographs of dissections, coloured and labelled) and is fantastic for dissection/prosection help.

• Grays can be a little lacking on the neuroanatomy side of things, particularly when you start getting asked about tracts and the like. ICT (Illustrated Colour Text) Neuroanatomy is a fantastic book which combines anatomy, functional anatomy and clinical medical considerations all into one fairly small book without skimping on any detail. Worth getting out of a library for your neuroanatomy when it comes around; I actually own a copy (don't remember why) but it's a fantastic piece of kit that continues to be useful into clinical years when dealing with everything from strokes to spinal cord transections.
Mrs House
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hated moores, i use grays for students as I understand it better.
I also have an atlas which helps a lot and I have clinical anatomy by Ellis....not as great as grays but the clinical bit is better.

Take them both out and see which works for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (10)
5.49%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (101)
55.49%
No (71)
39.01%

Watched Threads