Can I have a simple definition please?
beyknowles
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
Can I have a simple definition please?

Antigen presentation is a process in the body's immune system by which macrophages, dendritic cells and other cell types capture antigens, then enable their recognition by T-cells. The basis of adaptive immunity lies in the capacity of immune cells to distinguish between the body's own cells and infectious pathogens. The host's cells express "self" antigens that identify them as such. These antigens are different from those in bacteria ("non-self" antigens) or in virally-infected host cells ("missing-self"). The ability of the adaptive immune system to survey for infection requires specialized pathways of enabling recognition of pathogen-derived antigens by T cells.

Source: Boundless. “Antigen-Presenting Cells.” Boundless Anatomy and Physiology. Boundless, 27 Jun. 2014. Retrieved 18 Feb. 2015 from https://www.boundless.com/physiology...ells-979-8495/
siarc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"Antigen presentation is the display of antigen on the surface of a cell in the form of peptide fragments bound to Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC) molecules. T Cells recognise antigen when it is presented in this way." (K Murphy, Janeway's Immunobiology, 8th Edition, page 788).

In order for our immune system to protect us, it needs to recognise foreign matter. T cells particularly depend on this but they are at the end of antigen presentation and the stage after (presentation is the recognition stage, once recognised as foreign we need to get rid of it). Antigen presentation itself is a cell recognising a foreign protein, breaking it down to its constituent parts (peptides) [a protein is lots of amino acids in a chain, a peptide is a small chain of amino acids] and presenting these foreign parts on its surface bound to MHC receptors so T cells can recognise these invaders and deal with them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.56%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.57%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (59)
27.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed