Beginning Psychology Self Study - Where to start? Watch

jennywickett
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have decided to look into studying Psychology myself (not using a collage or online tutor for a number of reasons) but with so much to take in I really don't know where to start.

Is there anyone else out there like me trying to do this off your own back?

What should I start with first?

I see a lot of revision aids or past paper material but I'm right at the very beginning with zero knowledge of the subject as yet so I'm not quite ready for the revision parts yet.

Can anyone recommend some books, YouTube lectures or other resources to start with?

ThatTeenGirl03
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Try Crash Course on YouTube, it's designed for Americans but if you cross reference the stuff on there with the specification its a good place to start.
jennywickett
Rep:
?
Do you have a link please? Thank you
jennywickett
Rep:
?
I started watching degree level lectures form UC Berkeley in the US. They are very, good quite detailed but I have no idea if any of it is relevant to the UK A level.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...6C5FC9E7B57AF3
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't look at crash course most of their 'facts' are wrong and/or psychological myths

Just look at any AS/A-level revision book, when I did A-level psych these really helped I literally had no knowledge even with the teachers teaching me for months I didn't understand for instance I studied the module "cognition and law" and yet I never had any idea what cognition meant, but after reading this book it all came together http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Psy...vel+psychology
smozsolution
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're looking at AQA Psychology A for AS or A2 then I'd recommend Loopa.co.uk to help with the self studying. He's written multiple books that help you learn the content and structure your essays at an A*/A standard.

If not, try getting your hands on a textbook for either AS/A2 depending on the exam board specification you're following
jennywickett
Rep:
?
(Original post by smozsolution)
If you're looking at AQA Psychology A for AS or A2 then I'd recommend Loopa.co.uk to help with the self studying. He's written multiple books that help you learn the content and structure your essays at an A*/A standard.

If not, try getting your hands on a textbook for either AS/A2 depending on the exam board specification you're following
Loopa is great but to access all the modules needed for the whole a level it would cost you over £70!!!

I've just bought the book AQA psychology B by mark billingham sarah ladbrook sue standring and Regina teahan as advised by the distance learning program ICS Learn https://www.icslearn.co.uk/distance-...el-psychology/
However huge chunks of the material required for the first AQA PSYA1 test papers are not listed in the index! There's lots of info on all sorts of other wonderful things mainly biopsychology but this is irrelevant to most of what I actually need to study for.

Does anyone have any decent books they could recommend for studying the actual material asked for in the test papers?
smozsolution
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jennywickett)
Loopa is great but to access all the modules needed for the whole a level it would cost you over £70!!!

I've just bought the book AQA psychology B by mark billingham sarah ladbrook sue standring and Regina teahan as advised by the distance learning program ICS Learn https://www.icslearn.co.uk/distance-...el-psychology/
However huge chunks of the material required for the first AQA PSYA1 test papers are not listed in the index! There's lots of info on all sorts of other wonderful things mainly biopsychology but this is irrelevant to most of what I actually need to study for.

Does anyone have any decent books they could recommend for studying the actual material asked for in the test papers?
Yeah that's the only downside of Loopa, I've used it as a subsidiary for the odd topic I'm struggling with as opposed to using it for the whole A Level.

If you've brought the book for Psychology B when you're on Psychology A (Hence PSYA1) then it won't be relevant. AQA offer two A Level specifications for Psychology, A and B.

Return the Psychology B book and look for books that are for Psychology A.
jennywickett
Rep:
?
Yeah that's the only downside of Loopa, I've used it as a subsidiary for the odd topic I'm struggling with as opposed to using it for the whole A Level.

If you've brought the book for Psychology B when you're on Psychology A (Hence PSYA1) then it won't be relevant. AQA offer two A Level specifications for Psychology, A and B.

Return the Psychology B book and look for books that are for Psychology A.
ahhh that would make sense! Strange that the A level online learning collage would advise to get the B books when the A books are what you need to pass the exam but perhaps I misunderstood them?

so the book I need is this one?? http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Psycholo...a+psychology+a

A review about it written by an A level Psychology teacher says:

I'm a Psychology Teacher and although I wouldn't use this is as my primary teaching book, it is an excellent book for the students to have so that they can read a simple version of what we are discussing. Also, its good for revision, (especially for students who prefer to learn through reading) as it has clear summaries of key studies along with identified evaluative points. Don't think, though, that it is the bible for the exam. Occasionally, areas that are barely touched on in this book are major essays in the exam and similarly there are detailed areas in this book that are not on the AQA A Syllabus (especially the biological background to stress). Syllabus first!

so I am reluctant to spend more money on books that I cant use. cant return the ones I bought as they were second hand from ebay (still not that cheap but better than new).
smozsolution
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ahhh that would make sense! Strange that the A level online learning collage would advise to get the B books when the A books are what you need to pass the exam but perhaps I misunderstood them?

so the book I need is this one?? http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Psycholo...a+psychology+a

A review about it written by an A level Psychology teacher says:

I'm a Psychology Teacher and although I wouldn't use this is as my primary teaching book, it is an excellent book for the students to have so that they can read a simple version of what we are discussing. Also, its good for revision, (especially for students who prefer to learn through reading) as it has clear summaries of key studies along with identified evaluative points. Don't think, though, that it is the bible for the exam. Occasionally, areas that are barely touched on in this book are major essays in the exam and similarly there are detailed areas in this book that are not on the AQA A Syllabus (especially the biological background to stress). Syllabus first!

so I am reluctant to spend more money on books that I cant use. cant return the ones I bought as they were second hand from ebay (still not that cheap but better than new).
It could be that the college does the B specification and so recommends the B book. Before you send that back and get an A book, I would double check with the college which specification they're offering.

I'd get a book (once you know which specification you're definitely doing) and use it alongside the syllabus and online resources. That's how I revised for AS Psychology (alongside teacher resources but you may not have access to them) and it worked well.
galaxica
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Freudian analysis.
jennywickett
Rep:
?
It could be that the college does the B specification and so recommends the B book. Before you send that back and get an A book, I would double check with the college which specification they're offering.

I'd get a book (once you know which specification you're definitely doing) and use it alongside the syllabus and online resources. That's how I revised for AS Psychology (alongside teacher resources but you may not have access to them) and it worked well.
so confused with the A and B distinction.

I thought there was just one A level Psychology throwing an A and B in the mix has really thrown me! Why are there 2??

What are the differences?

Is one harder than the other?? Worth more points?? and these new 2015 Psychology A level changes what does this mean to what I actually study??

oh dear this doesn't feel like a good start at all! Feels like the goal posts are all over the place! :/

help!
smozsolution
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
so confused with the A and B distinction.

I thought there was just one A level Psychology throwing an A and B in the mix has really thrown me! Why are there 2??

What are the differences?

Is one harder than the other?? Worth more points?? and these new 2015 Psychology A level changes what does this mean to what I actually study??

oh dear this doesn't feel like a good start at all! Feels like the goal posts are all over the place! :/

help!
AQA offer two specifications for AS and A2 psychology - A and B. Both will be worthy of the same UCAS points and be seen as the same, it's just the content is different. How hard one is in comparison to the other will be subjective and most people don't study both so the only people that'll know this are probably teachers.

An example of the differences in content:
PSYA1 Unit 1 topics are Cognitive Psychology (Memory), Developmental Psychology (Attachment) and Research Methods.
PSYB1 Unit 1 topics cover Key Approaches in Psychology such as approaches like the biological, behaviourist, social learning theory; cognitive, psychodynamic and humanistic, Biopsychology, Gender Development and Research Methods.

I don't know how the 2015 A Level changes will affect this because I'm an A2 student finishing AQA Psychology A this year. Your best port of call will be to speak to your college if you're starting it from next September. However if you're entering in for exams this summer, the changes won't affect you.
jennywickett
Rep:
?
AQA offer two specifications for AS and A2 psychology - A and B. Both will be worthy of the same UCAS points and be seen as the same, it's just the content is different. How hard one is in comparison to the other will be subjective and most people don't study both so the only people that'll know this are probably teachers.

An example of the differences in content:
PSYA1 Unit 1 topics are Cognitive Psychology (Memory), Developmental Psychology (Attachment) and Research Methods.
PSYB1 Unit 1 topics cover Key Approaches in Psychology such as approaches like the biological, behaviourist, social learning theory; cognitive, psychodynamic and humanistic, Biopsychology, Gender Development and Research Methods.

I don't know how the 2015 A Level changes will affect this because I'm an A2 student finishing AQA Psychology A this year. Your best port of call will be to speak to your college if you're starting it from next September. However if you're entering in for exams this summer, the changes won't affect you.

Thanks that has made it all a bit clearer. I dont have a collage as I work full time and am looking at doing the course as a self study project (bit like the guy from Loopa). But this has at least cleared up my question on the difference between the A and B Psychology courses.

Thanks goodness for this website. I think I will be on here quite a bit if I'm going to be doing this solo

Thank you :ta:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.28%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (205)
35.9%
No, I am unable to (132)
23.12%
No, I chose not to (166)
29.07%