What different parties are promising. What do you think?

Watch
soanonymous
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29642613

This was a good comparison between what the parties are wanting to do after the next election!
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lib dems best policies overall. Prefer labours on defence and lean more conservative on jobs.
anunoriginaluser
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Favour the Lib Dems on most everything from a glance. I'm not too sure about getting cutting down on Trident unless we get a new nuclear deterrent though :woo:
jenkinsear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It was quite surprising for me to discover that UKIP seem to have the most sensible education policy. They should shout about that more...
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by anunoriginaluser)
Favour the Lib Dems on most everything from a glance. I'm not too sure about getting cutting down on Trident unless we get a new nuclear deterrent though :woo:
Yeah agreed. Nick clegg seems to have cooled on the idea of scrapping trident he says he has spoken to experts who say it will be a long and costly process. In addition he knows we have an aggressive Putin to contend with.
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Liberal Democrats are the most promising. They're are not Left wing or right wing which I like. Why aren't the Liberal Democrats referred as Whigs?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by soanonymous)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29642613

This was a good comparison between what the parties are wanting to do after the next election!
Immigration: Liberal and Labour
Taxes and Economy: Conservative
NHS: Liberal (would have been Conservative but they pandered to throwing even more money at it)
Security, defense and foreign affairs: None from this.
Jobs: Ukip and the Conservatives have the best offer here but the fact that neither nobody mentions private sector jobs is damning.
Education: Ukip and Conservative
Housing: Vague on how they'd do it but Liberals, also Ukip
Law and Order: Conservative, Labour, Liberal, SNP
Welfare: Liberal and Ukip

In this parliament i credit the coalition for tax, employment, education and foreign affairs so not overly shocking.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Lib dems best policies overall. Prefer labours on defence and lean more conservative on jobs.
Unfortunately Labour's current defense plans also include cutting the defense budget even more than the Tories will (granted there's a lot of back bench pressure for the Tories to stop that in their manifesto). Personally i want the defense budget increased.

(Original post by jenkinsear)
It was quite surprising for me to discover that UKIP seem to have the most sensible education policy. They should shout about that more...
I've always thought this was their strongest area.

(Original post by Raymat)
The Liberal Democrats are the most promising. They're are not Left wing or right wing which I like. Why aren't the Liberal Democrats referred as Whigs?
Changed their name after Peel and Tories that supported free trade merged with them. The Tory party not being protectionist is actually something that did not occur until around 1900.
Gnomes&Knights
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Tory party not being protectionist till 1900 .
It's funny how they're are still referred to as 'Tories'.
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Funny how short people's memories are.
As we saw after the last election manifestos and party political promises mean heehaw once in power.
soanonymous
Rep:
?
(Original post by caravaggio2)
Funny how short people's memories are.
As we saw after the last election manifestos and party political promises mean heehaw once in power.
Do you think it should be illegal for government parties to go back on their promises once they're elected into power?
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you think it should be illegal for government parties to go back on their promises once they're elected into power?
I don't know if that could be possible but they should be called out on it and mocked and abused for being the lying barstewards they are when attempting the same game in the run up to subsequent elections.
Question Time audiences etc should laugh out loud in their faces when they try to spout it again.
soanonymous
Rep:
?
(Original post by caravaggio2)
I don't know if that could be possible but they should be called out on it and mocked and abused for being the lying barstewards they are when attempting the same game in the run up to subsequent elections.
Question Time audiences etc should laugh out loud in their faces when they try to spout it again.
Agreed, it dilutes the apparent 'democratic' society we live in, the public get a say yes, in the party going into power, but if that party goes against what we all vote for, and the reason we vote for them, then where's the democracy in that? I believe there should be some form of legislation that makes that possible in one way or another. Although, I doubt any of the government parties would allow an Act like that to pass.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
I agree. But I won't vote for them.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They are all lies.

It's about ideology. not specific policies. make it up as you go along.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That statement might have more weight had the coalition agreement not implemented the majority of both Lib and Tory policy. Its truer to actually say that they can't be trusted to deliver on big headline policies as opposed to policies overall.
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No of the above. UKIP on EU.
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Been told I throw the best parties. So I'd say mine.
jakeel1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Replacing Trident seems entirely pointless to me, that money should be put back into actual defence that would be used like naval and training. We can rely on the Americans for nukes.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jakeel1)
Replacing Trident seems entirely pointless to me, that money should be put back into actual defence that would be used like naval and training. We can rely on the Americans for nukes.
Unfortunately for yourself no party will do that. Those that dislike trident want to reduce the defense budget a lot more while those that value defense all want trident.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (216)
52.17%
No, they should still go ahead (58)
14.01%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (140)
33.82%

Watched Threads