Worried about discrimination?

Watch
Hollyvee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was treated very badly by my teachers at college because of my frequent panic attacks and outbursts due to my then untreated bipolar disorder. I took the year off to get better which is finally sorta happening. I'm just worried it'll happen again at uni?
I did performing arts and dance. My teachers would ignore my panic attacks and refuse to let me leave the room for a bit to calm down and when I did they'd drag me back inside crying and screaming, which was very embarrassing. They didn't understand my depressive episode and could not grasp my way of thinking or how panicky I got in certain situations. It got to the point where I didn't feel like college was a safe place for me to be because I was so afraid of having a breakdown in lessons and being scolded for it, so my attendance dropped dramatically. I'm just worried it'll happen at uni.
I haven't got any offers yet, 3 rejections, but I have put on my application that I have bipolar disorder and also mentioned the effects it had on my college course and how I'm on the mend in my gap year on my statement. I'm just worried that maybe universities don't want mentally ill students? Or what do I do if I get teachers like my old ones? I'm just getting very worried that the stress of it all will affect me badly come September and I will struggle and my teachers will not understand or accept my illness as an excuse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mikkie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hollyvee)
I was treated very badly by my teachers at college because of my frequent panic attacks and outbursts due to my then untreated bipolar disorder. I took the year off to get better which is finally sorta happening. I'm just worried it'll happen again at uni?
I did performing arts and dance. My teachers would ignore my panic attacks and refuse to let me leave the room for a bit to calm down and when I did they'd drag me back inside crying and screaming, which was very embarrassing. They didn't understand my depressive episode and could not grasp my way of thinking or how panicky I got in certain situations. It got to the point where I didn't feel like college was a safe place for me to be because I was so afraid of having a breakdown in lessons and being scolded for it, so my attendance dropped dramatically. I'm just worried it'll happen at uni.
I haven't got any offers yet, 3 rejections, but I have put on my application that I have bipolar disorder and also mentioned the effects it had on my college course and how I'm on the mend in my gap year on my statement. I'm just worried that maybe universities don't want mentally ill students? Or what do I do if I get teachers like my old ones? I'm just getting very worried that the stress of it all will affect me badly come September and I will struggle and my teachers will not understand or accept my illness as an excuse

Posted from TSR Mobile
It sounds like you've been through alot. Universities won't discriminate against you because of your mental health condition, so don't let that bother you. University is generally a very mature place where people respect one another. The structure is hugely different from college and will take some getting used to.

Have a google search of some of the universities you applied to but type in mental health support afterwards so for example "Birmingham uni mental health support" and see what support is available - there will be something. You're certainly not alone.

Making the university aware will be able to better equip them to support you. Hope this helps you. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads