The Effect of the Radius on Circular Motion Watch

velocitous
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I’m quite confused because there are so many formulae which seem to contradict each other?

When you increase the radius, does your speed increases? From v=\frac{2{\pi}r}{T}.

Yet when you increase your radius, your acceleration decreases? From a=\frac{mv^{2}}{r}.

So if I want to increase centripetal acceleration, I would decrease the radius, but so doing, I would be decreasing the speed, which would decrease centripetal acceleration?

Furthermore, in this formula, a=4\pi^{2}rf^{2}, radius and acceleration are proportional to each other? But they were inversely proportional in the previous formula?

I’m confused.
Actaeon
Badges: 11
Report 4 years ago
When thinking about direct and inverse proportionality with these equations, you need to remember what you're keeping constant in each case. In the first, you need your time period and hence angular velocity to be constant, but in the second you are keeping your linear velocity constant. So both are correct, but not at the same time.
For example, if you reduce radius, while keeping angular velocity constant, linear speed will increase and your first proportionality equation applies. But because linear speed isn't a constant, angular acceleration won't be inversely proportional to the radius, and the second equation doesn't apply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (425)
18.69%
The paper was reasonable (1075)
47.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (504)
22.16%
It was TERRIBLE (270)
11.87%

Watched Threads