2 days running, racist comment, headline news Watch

fodder
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am not mad. The legal fiction is mad. 2 days running I pick up the Metro and a racist comment on a French Metro is headline news.

Don't get me wrong, it's not nice business. But the way society is carrying on you would believe it's deemed to be worse than rape, murder, child abuse and terrorism.

130 years ago the concept of racism didn't even exist. Talk about a pendulum swinging right from one side to the extreme other. What if glasses'est became the new racism next month, would we have newspaper front pages and centre spreads continuously about a glasses'est incident?

To the collective I say: Get a grip.
Gaming_Hippy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by fodder)
I am not mad. The legal fiction is mad. 2 days running I pick up the Metro and a racist comment on a French Metro is headline news.

Don't get me wrong, it's not nice business. But the way society is carrying on you would believe it's deemed to be worse than rape, murder, child abuse and terrorism.

130 years ago the concept of racism didn't even exist. Talk about a pendulum swinging right from one side to the extreme other. What if glasses'est became the new racism next month, would we have newspaper front pages and centre spreads continuously about a glasses'est incident?

To the collective I say: Get a grip.
people like to boost there ego by making themselves seem bigger then others they always have and always will if racism disappears something else will simply take its place.
jjm456
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gaming_Hippy)
people like to boost there ego by making themselves seem bigger then others they always have and always will if racism disappears something else will simply take its place.
I disagree with that. If you look over time, pretty much all prejudices have significantly reduced in potency, whether it be homophobia, racism, sexism or ableism. I mean we used to lock gay people up, and now we let them get married openly. I like to think that we are slowly becoming a more and more tolerant society in every respect.
HigherMinion
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you've encountered Viddy on these forums, then you're aware there is something now even more deplorable by the left's ever goalpost-moving disciples of social progression: speciesism.

We all know what racism is; it is the act of discriminating against somebody based on race. Although recently it's also been decided that only white people can be racist because it's "prejudice + power", for some reason. Racism means you cannot put your family first. Racism means your people and heritage are not important. We know, because of this new definition, that racism is used against Europeans alone, and exploited by the rest of the world to keep us in check. We are a very moral people in general, and tend to be guilted easily it seems. Once you've established racism is bad, then everything comes tumbling down; the way we knew. Discrimination becomes a bad thing all of a sudden, and we're all hippy dippy greenies or persecuted for being part of the 'old order'.

So with this new social progression we find that, well, animals are people too! We're just one of many species, just like Caucasians (race) and Britons/Celts (ethnicity) are just one of many, why do we feel like we can persecute a cow just for existing on this planet? How terrible are we to believe we have the right to harm another sentient being on this planet? Would you chop up, cook and eat your next door neighbour? Of course not! So why a piglet?

I could tell you why, but I want you to work it out for yourself. All you need to know is if you reject the concept of speciesism, you must also reject the concept of racism. They are both as barmy as eachother.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To cut a lifelong story short, I basically agree. Whilst unpleasant, its hardly newsworthy. Additionally, as with the 100 days of ukip **** storm, its only going to give credulity to their paranoid core vote.

Saying that, one of the people involved has a picture of him posing with old Nigel...

Dont really care TBH.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I actually do think.it's newsworthy, if only to remind the English that racism hasn't disappeared, despite their incessant self-congratulation on the matter.

Do I think it should be on the front page in light of the continuing conflicts in Ukraine, Syria, Iraq and elsewhere? Not really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (89)
12.97%
1 (89)
12.97%
2 (88)
12.83%
18.95%
22.3%
19.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed