Studying literature abroad Watch

Luneo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello! I'm a Norwegian student considering studying in London. I want to study english literature, and I'm currently trying to find the best university. First I was considering Roehampton, because of the campus and student life, but I heard that it's not a very good university?
What's important for me in a university is, of course, that the school and lectors are good, but also night life, student environment, campus and things like that.
Is kingston a good uni for me? Are there any other that you would recommend? Also, is Roehampton as bad as I've read here? (I also noticed that the post was from 2010 - a lot can have changed since that..?)
Kingston University
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Luneo)
Hello! I'm a Norwegian student considering studying in London. I want to study english literature, and I'm currently trying to find the best university. First I was considering Roehampton, because of the campus and student life, but I heard that it's not a very good university?
What's important for me in a university is, of course, that the school and lectors are good, but also night life, student environment, campus and things like that.
Is kingston a good uni for me? Are there any other that you would recommend? Also, is Roehampton as bad as I've read here? (I also noticed that the post was from 2010 - a lot can have changed since that..?)
Hi Lunero,

It's great that you're considering Kingston!

I'm a second year English Literature student at Kingston and would highly recommend the course. The lecturers are really passionate and interesting, they are also keen to support students. There is also a great nightlife with at least 5 clubs, 2 Student Unions, loads of pubs and we are only 20 minutes away from Central London.

Do you have any other questions,

Chloe

Student Ambassador
TaylaGrace
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Luneo)
Hey Luneo!

My name is Tayla Grace and I’m in my first year here at Roehampton studying English Literature and Creative Writing! Before I came to university I too considered Kingston, but for me Roehampton stood out by miles. This is for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, the student life here is great! We have so much going on down here, and there are so many opportunities to get involved. Our union hosts ‘bop’ which is a club night every Friday, there is Fez club in Putney on a Wednesday and The Clapham Grand (which the university provides transport for, there and back free of charge – super convenient!) Also, there are karaoke, acoustic and pub quiz nights hosted in our union every week which are so fun to get involved in. Not to mention that in the Roehampton hosts a Summer Ball where famous, well known artists come and perform just for Roehampton students. I haven’t even mentioned the vast amount of societies that you can join, sport, academic or other fun ones. Everyone here is so friendly, helpful and welcoming.

One thing that I find that Roehampton has over every other university is that it is divided into 4 different colleges, and students that come here are put into one of them. Being in a college gives you a real sense of belonging as you can instantly associate with other students in the same college. Each individual college has their own social events and we have a yearly college cup, and college dinners! It’s like being a part of one big supportive family.

I love my course also. The lecturers are so helpful and are always on hand if you need advice or feedback. As an English Literature student here you will feel very supported. There are a quite a few Norwegian students on the English course too! Additionally, the texts we study in are very engaging and interesting just to add, and the lectures/seminars are incredibly informative! If you’d like to know more I have written a blog on my course for Roehampton, you can see it here: http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/WeAreUR/...lost-in-books/.

The campus here is extremely picturesque. Being a student at Roehampton, we’re so lucky to be situated around beautiful buildings and lakes in Froebel and Whitelands college. I wouldn’t pay attention to the posts from 2010 because Roehampton has changed so much since then.
I hope that I have helped answer your questions and would be more than happy to answer any more!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Wed, 10 Jul '19
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (333)
15.61%
The paper was reasonable (1164)
54.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (460)
21.57%
It was TERRIBLE (176)
8.25%

Watched Threads