URGENT HELP PLEASE - External Candidate (A2)

Watch
michaelalex
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to re-sit 3 A2 written exams this year that I didn't do well in last year but I have a few questions in terms of applying if anyone here can help.

Basically I completed A2 last year but would like to re-sit some exams that I didn't do well in, what I'm confused about however is whether I can retake just specific modules of the A2 that I want to or whether I'd have to retake the full A2 including all modules.

For example for A2 Edexcel Government and Politics there are two exams but I wish to retake just one of them rather than both is this possible? Also if I retake one of the exams from the Government and Politics A2 and it's exactly the same Government and Politics paper I took last year including the same exam board and unit, if I re-sit and cash in the exam at a different centre to the one I did last year, assuming I do better, will the marks of the improved re-sit automatically add up with the other half of the A2 exam I did last year to form my overall grade? For example I did Government and Politics Unit 3 & 4 last year, but will the marks from the Government and Politics Unit 3 exam I did last year automatically match up with the improved marks of the Government and Politics Unit 4 exam I plan to do this year, or is there something I have to do to allow it to do so.

And my second question (I know this is long thanks for sticking through so far) is, the Unit and Options codes that you have to fill in for each exam you want to take when applying to a centre as a private candidate, are these the codes that are on the side of your results sheet when you get your grades? See attachment if you don't know what I'm taking about. For instance if I want to re-take the same History exam I took last year is the Unit code I write 6HI03E like the code on the results sheet?

If you have answers to any of these questions it would be greatly appreciated or if you need me to elaborate or explain anything further just ask, thank you for reading
Attached files
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by michaelalex)
Basically I completed A2 last year but would like to re-sit some exams that I didn't do well in, what I'm confused about however is whether I can retake just specific modules of the A2 that I want to or whether I'd have to retake the full A2 including all modules.
You can re-sit any - or some, or all - of the 4 A level units in order to try to improve your A level grade. If you have takn a unit more than once then your better/best attempt will be the one that counts so your overall grade cannot get worse.

if I re-sit and cash in the exam at a different centre to the one I did last year, assuming I do better, will the marks of the improved re-sit automatically add up with the other half of the A2 exam I did last year to form my overall grade?
As long as you always enter using the same UCI (unique candidate identifier -a 12 digit, single letter code that uniquely defines you) then you can spread your exams over as many different exam centres and seasons as you wish and your best attempt at each unit will be added together to calculate your final grade when you cash-in.

And my second question (I know this is long thanks for sticking through so far) is, the Unit and Options codes that you have to fill in for each exam you want to take when applying to a centre as a private candidate, are these the codes that are on the side of your results sheet when you get your grades?
Yes.

The bad news is that the main entry deadline for summer exams is on Saturday (21 February) and many exam centres will have closed their booked to private candidates. Those that will accept you may well charge double fees. I suggest you get a move on with this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads