The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I'd say for your PSs the key is too look into what the course will be covering and write about it in your PS to show you know what you'll be in for. Also any work experience related to your course. And of course preliminary reading, then mention the books in your PS if you thought they were good/bad etc.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by bl1910
I will be applying for Geography with Economics. My GCSEs are below average 4A*'s 4A's 2B's, but I am hoping I will still be in with a good chance as I am doing a lot of extra curricular and essay comps, even got a lot of reading planned over the summer. I am doing Maths, Economics, Biology and Geography this year and intend to drop Biology at A2.

My friend has just firmed Bsc Geography with Economics and has exactly the same GCSEs as you, very possible.
Really, really hoping to get the AS grades to put in a good application, for History and Government if they are ace.......just History if not. I reckon LSE would actually be my number one choice.

IGCSEs: 8 A*
AS Levels: History, Politics, Economics and English Literature.

I hate my English and Economics exams right now. Is a B or two really a disaster? I'm at least going well for History and Politics, and hope to get some good UMS marks.

Anyone else out there going for History and/or Politics?
Original post by MouseyBrown
Really, really hoping to get the AS grades to put in a good application, for History and Government if they are ace.......just History if not. I reckon LSE would actually be my number one choice.

IGCSEs: 8 A*
AS Levels: History, Politics, Economics and English Literature.

I hate my English and Economics exams right now. Is a B or two really a disaster? I'm at least going well for History and Politics, and hope to get some good UMS marks.

Anyone else out there going for History and/or Politics?

Me for both! The acceptance is usually AAA at Oxford/LSE so two Bs at AS should be fine :smile:
Original post by antigone-
Me for both! The acceptance is usually AAA at Oxford/LSE so two Bs at AS should be fine :smile:

Ah, cool. The course looks awesome, doesn't it? Actually looks much better than Oxford to me.

Yeah, I'm hoping that a B in Literature, which I'm dropping, shouldn't matter, especially if I get good predictions for History and Politics. Hopefully I manage an A in economics.

What AS levels are you doing? Have you been to LSE?
Ah, cool. The course looks awesome, doesn't it? Actually looks much better than Oxford to me.

Yeah, I'm hoping that a B in Literature, which I'm dropping, shouldn't matter, especially if I get good predictions for History and Politics. Hopefully I manage an A in economics.

What AS levels are you doing? Have you been to LSE?

I live near LSE so go to their public lectures and the open day. I managed to get into their Summer School too :smile:

I do Maths, History, Politics and English Lit and I'm probably dropping Maths. LSE said it didn't matter to them which I dropped so the same works for you I guess.
I live near LSE so go to their public lectures and the open day. I managed to get into their Summer School too :smile:

I do Maths, History, Politics and English Lit and I'm probably dropping Maths. LSE said it didn't matter to them which I dropped so the same works for you I guess.

You doing AQA English? If so, how did you find it?
You doing AQA English? If so, how did you find it?

Didn't mind it actually! I do Browning, Rossetti, the Road and the Kite Runner. I don't think I did too well though, hopefully the coursework will bring it up :/
I'm applying for Law!!! It's not my first choice but it's still great
14 A*s at GCSE
predicted 4 As (obvs) in English Lit, History, Maths and Economics
All exams have gone well so hoping fo' 4 A* predicted :biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by 10101010
You have a good number of A*'s at GCSE, 4A's at AS will make you a very viable applicant! They won't be too bothered with your gcse options, in fact I don't think they even see them!

Oh right thanks, so would they not really care that I have already completed an AS at grade A?

And LSE would be great

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would you say is the absolute bare minimum GCSE requirements for economics at LSE? I know there are no 'minimum' requirements but to hope for a place what would the minimum grades be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The LSE website mentions "a strong set of GCSE grades including several A and A*"
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by coolguy123456
The LSE website mentions "a strong set of GCSE grades including several A and A*"
AP

So to put that in numbers what do you think it would be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applying for Maths and Economics

GCSEs - 9A* 2A
AS Levels - Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry. (Want 93%+ average)
hi, i am pursuing Bachelors in Management Studies from Delhi University, India. interested in doing Msc in Finance and Private equity/ Msc in Finance, plz let me know of reqd GMAT score. and other criteria on which an applicant is judges. like job experience is required or not. ?
Just wondering out of my options - Law, English Lit, Maths and Psychology would it be a disaster if I chose to drop psychology (as law is a blacklisted subject) I planned on dropping Law bc of this but I hate psychology so much...

Also wondering if I want to apply for the philosophy course but I didn't take philosophy a level even though its available at my college... Will this look bad? I wasn't truly interested in it until after I'd chosen my a level options anyway..
Original post by angel2015
Just wondering out of my options - Law, English Lit, Maths and Psychology would it be a disaster if I chose to drop psychology (as law is a blacklisted subject) I planned on dropping Law bc of this but I hate psychology so much...

Also wondering if I want to apply for the philosophy course but I didn't take philosophy a level even though its available at my college... Will this look bad? I wasn't truly interested in it until after I'd chosen my a level options anyway..

I believe Law is only really blacklisted if you want to study Law so I think you'll be okay. Don't spend another year doing Psych if you really can't stand it!
Also I think you'll be fine regarding Philosophy, it's not a typical facilitating subject anyway :smile:
I believe Law is only really blacklisted if you want to study Law so I think you'll be okay. Don't spend another year doing Psych if you really can't stand it!
Also I think you'll be fine regarding Philosophy, it's not a typical facilitating subject anyway :smile:

Thanks :smile: the LSE representative I spoke to at a UCAS fair said it was best to carry on with what I'll do well in haha
Does anyone know if LSE looks at your UMS in your AS levels?
Original post by aerohotchoc
Does anyone know if LSE looks at your UMS in your AS levels?

I think they ask for UMS in specific maths modules for Economics but I don't think they do for other subjects

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending