London School of Economics
London

LSE 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

did anyone see this university yesterday? if you did please message me
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Anyone else find that in the economics talk at the open day she didn't really talk about economics much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Beginning to think about StatFin/Finance any other potential applicants?

Also to all of the Finance applicants, are you going to apply for finance at other universities also? I'm finding it tricky to get the mix of finance and economics so I can apply for Econ at other institutions without having a 100% finance personal statement which could jeopardise chances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall
Beginning to think about StatFin/Finance any other potential applicants?
Also to all of the Finance applicants, are you going to apply for finance at other universities also? I'm finding it tricky to get the mix of finance and economics so I can apply for Econ at other institutions without having a 100% finance personal statement which could jeopardise chances.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of applying to LSE's BSc Finance aswell as applying to Econ at UCL and some other unis. As of now I have an economics personal statement written up but not sure whether I should start mentioning finance as it may affect my economics applications
Reply 84
Im also planning to apply to lse my choices are actuarial, finance and economics can't decide yet, I got 3 A*'s, 7 A's and 4 B's for GCSE's
My a level subjects are maths, economics, accounting and business.
As far as my personal statement all I really have is my job at a call centre and my forex trading account but i am planning to build up and do some more stuff over summer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
I'm thinking of applying to LSE's BSc Finance aswell as applying to Econ at UCL and some other unis. As of now I have an economics personal statement written up but not sure whether I should start mentioning finance as it may affect my economics applications

Yeah, pretty much on the same page as you, what branch of Economics did oh focus in on? I am trying to make the link to finance there but it is a difficult task making it all sound convincing. Considering making my PS 95% on the subject now, too much to write :/

LSE must have known that this course would have split many applicants, mainly they want a solely finance student, the risk is that other choices could go down the drain

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by GGHD67
Im also planning to apply to lose my choices are actuarial, finance and economics can't decide yet, I got 3 A*'s, 7 A's and 4 B's for GCSE's
My a level subjects are maths, economics, accounting and business.
As far as my personal statement all I really have my job at a call centre and my forex trading account but i am planning to build up and do some more stuff over summer.

Are you going to pick up Further maths next year? That would be key as the three courses you mentioned all specify that it's desirable/preferred

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall
Yeah, pretty much on the same page as you, what branch of Economics did oh focus in on? I am trying to make the link to finance there but it is a difficult task making it all sound convincing. Considering making my PS 95% on the subject now, too much to write :/

LSE must have known that this course would have split many applicants, mainly they want a solely finance student, the risk is that other choices could go down the drain

Posted from TSR Mobile

I focused on game theory and development economics so not much space to link with finance. Unless I add another part of economics such as monetary/financial economics and link that to finance. Not really sure what to do.

The LSE Finance course is very similar to the economics course they do, the first two years are exactly the same. I might just end up trying to apply for LSE economics if I can't get a finance link in my PS :/
Reply 88
Original post by iBall
Are you going to pick up Further maths next year? That would be key as the three courses you mentioned all specify that it's desirable/preferred

Im thinking of doing further maths but only up to AS and perhaps also an AEA or STEP.
I would have done it this year but head of maths didn't let me onto the further maths course
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
I focused on game theory and development economics so not much space to link with finance. Unless I add another part of economics such as monetary/financial economics and link that to finance. Not really sure what to do.

The LSE Finance course is very similar to the economics course they do, the first two years are exactly the same. I might just end up trying to apply for LSE economics if I can't get a finance link in my PS :/

I'm the same as you guys, made me ps towards economics but might still apply for finance, any way of linking finance in to a ps that applies for both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you guys think that I would be able to get in for Accounting and Finance with pretty terrible GCSEs (One A*, 5A, 4B) if I had extenuating circumstances (changed schools and therefore missed out on coursework for a lot of subjects, also picked up two subjects that I had to learn in that year (one of which I got 2 marks off an A* in), and also came 3rd out of 150ish students in results for my school)?

Subject wise I did Maths Econ History and English Lit at AS, and I'm dropping English so I can do Further Maths AS and A2 next year, as well as an EPQ.

Apart from my GCSEs I think I should be ok, I think I'm predicted A*A*A for Maths Econ and History respectively, and I should be able to get an A* in FM. I also have a load of extracurricular stuff, like being the head of my school charity committee, Target 2.0, founding the school's MUN club, as well as a lot of Finance based work experience.
Original post by darkdrifter10
I got 6A*s 4As and a B at GCSE
and got an offer to study pure econ for 2015 . Tbh lse dont care too much about gcses, as long as your AS UMS are high and your personal statement is well written youll have a decent chance of getting in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does LSE ask for UMS?
Reply 92
Original post by xXxSharkxXx
Does LSE ask for UMS?

sometimes, i have heard people say that they were sent a form from LSE asking them for their UMS scores for their exams but they don't always do this.
I'm applying for the Management course. I'm from France and i'm doing the European Bac, and have an average of 9.2 for my C grades, the year-marks that universities will look at. I don't really know the odds of getting in as not many people do the EB. LSE's site says that they want between an 8.5-9, yet idk if that's accurate . Is someone else here applying and doing the EB? Or have experience with it? Thanks!
After hearing from quite a few people that LSE are starting to ask for maths UMS from Economics applicants, I was just wondering if there was any helpful person here who could help me out with whether my UMS is good enough.
This year I took:
C1 - 100
C2 - 95
C3 - 84 - think I only dropped 6 marks though which should be around 95, getting the paper back and then deciding whether to remark.
FP1 - 75 - also getting this back, hopefully I can get it remarked up to 80 but I messed up the paper so I don't think I'll get over 85 at all.
S1 - 100
M1 - 100
D1 - 100

As you can see, my C3 and FP1 scores were a bit disappointing. I'm happy with the rest and I end up with an A in Maths and also an A in FM, but I'm worried that they'll think I'm bad at harder maths because I did so well in the easy modules but then went downhill for C3 and FP1, the two hardest. In past papers before the exams I could get around 95 in both.

Overall I got 5 As at AS, including 100% in Economics and what I think should be 100% in Physics once my paper gets remarked (AQA messed up really badly). Any advice?
Reply 95
Original post by felecita
After hearing from quite a few people that LSE are starting to ask for maths UMS from Economics applicants, I was just wondering if there was any helpful person here who could help me out with whether my UMS is good enough.
This year I took:
C1 - 100
C2 - 95
C3 - 84 - think I only dropped 6 marks though which should be around 95, getting the paper back and then deciding whether to remark.
FP1 - 75 - also getting this back, hopefully I can get it remarked up to 80 but I messed up the paper so I don't think I'll get over 85 at all.
S1 - 100
M1 - 100
D1 - 100

As you can see, my C3 and FP1 scores were a bit disappointing. I'm happy with the rest and I end up with an A in Maths and also an A in FM, but I'm worried that they'll think I'm bad at harder maths because I did so well in the easy modules but then went downhill for C3 and FP1, the two hardest. In past papers before the exams I could get around 95 in both.

Overall I got 5 As at AS, including 100% in Economics and what I think should be 100% in Physics once my paper gets remarked (AQA messed up really badly). Any advice?

Looks very strong to me, you could send admissions an email if you're really unsure
I'm thinking of applying for Economics and these are my grades:

GCSEs: 9 A* 2A
AS Levels: Maths (A, 89.3%), Further Maths (A, 81.0%), Economics (A, 98.0%), Chemistry (A, 91.3%) / UMS = 91.5% / Predicted Grades A*A*A*A (+ A Econ EPQ)

What are my chances like given that on paper I performed poorly on maths? I did average ~97% over C1, C2 and FP1 which my referee will hopefully state and am doing stats modules next year...
Reply 97
May be applying this year

GCSE: 7A*'s 3A's 2Bs
AS Level: AAAAB (remarking chemistry)
A2 Prediction: A*A*A*A + A in AS Further Maths
Course: Considering Finance, A&F

I took Maths, Physics, Economics, Business Studies and Chemistry respectively and will pick up Further maths AS.

A lot of the courses interest me but I want to have a better chance on gaining acceptance into LSE and am a bit less fixated on the course. Do Finance admissions check UMS? D1 UMS was 60 so it probably wiped my chances for pure Econ...
Reply 98
Original post by felecita
This year I took:
C1 - 100
C2 - 95
S1 - 100
M1 - 100
D1 - 100

Looks fine to me - 84 in C3 isn't exactly bad imo. 75 in FP1 is unlucky but you are rocking a fair few 100's so I wouldn't be worried if I was you.
Reply 99
Original post by iBall
May be applying this year

GCSE: 7A*'s 3A's 2Bs
AS Level: AAAAB (remarking chemistry)
A2 Prediction: A*A*A*A + A in AS Further Maths
Course: Considering Finance, A&F

I took Maths, Physics, Economics, Business Studies and Chemistry respectively and will pick up Further maths AS.

A lot of the courses interest me but I want to have a better chance on gaining acceptance into LSE and am a bit less fixated on the course. Do Finance admissions check UMS? D1 UMS was 60 so it probably wiped my chances for pure Econ...

I wouldn't let the 60 in D1 put you off applying for Econ. What are your C1/2 scores? I think unis appreciate that D1 can cause some bad scores despite a good mathematician

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending