Product Design or Health and Social Care?

Watch
CharmingCat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

Recently, my brother had to select his options upon moving to a new school, which starts teaching the GCSE curriculum in Year 9 which he is currently in. One of his options was Product Design, which he chose because he assumed that it would be based on making stuff, but it turns out that the course is focusing on graphics - which he has absolutely no interest in.

Unfortunately, the only other subjects he can select from the same block are French, German or BTEC Health and Social Care. He doesn't like languages at all (despite my knowledge of the French language, which would definitely benefit him), so he now has to decide whether to carry on with Product Design or take a leap of faith with Health and Social Care.

I know that Health and Social Care is often regarded as a 'mickey mouse' subject, but surely it is better to achieve an easier grade than to end up with a C or possibly lower in a subject which you dislike? At the moment, my brother doesn't know what to choose though, if I was him, I'd definitely go for Health and Social Care (albeit being a Sociology student might make me a bit biased!).

All advice much appreciated.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CharmingCat)
Hi,

Recently, my brother had to select his options upon moving to a new school, which starts teaching the GCSE curriculum in Year 9 which he is currently in. One of his options was Product Design, which he chose because he assumed that it would be based on making stuff, but it turns out that the course is focusing on graphics - which he has absolutely no interest in.

Unfortunately, the only other subjects he can select from the same block are French, German or BTEC Health and Social Care. He doesn't like languages at all (despite my knowledge of the French language, which would definitely benefit him), so he now has to decide whether to carry on with Product Design or take a leap of faith with Health and Social Care.

I know that Health and Social Care is often regarded as a 'mickey mouse' subject, but surely it is better to achieve an easier grade than to end up with a C or possibly lower in a subject which you dislike? At the moment, my brother doesn't know what to choose though, if I was him, I'd definitely go for Health and Social Care (albeit being a Sociology student might make me a bit biased!).

Heya, I'm going to put this in the social sciences forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=79
EmEmTheFairy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CharmingCat)
Hi,

Hey,

I know the burden of having limited options in a column for GCSE choices - wound up choosing history instead of travel because there was nothing else. The joys.

Anywho, firstly i would not regard health and social care as a mickey mous subject. I do not know what it is like at GCSE level, but I am studying the course at BTEC Extended Diploma level (equivalent to A-Level), and the course is very intense. With further study, it opens the doors to health professions such as adult, mental health, and childrens nursing, social work, teaching, occupational therapy and midwifery. I suppose if your brother is interested in one of those careers, then maybe he should consider health and social care; otherwise, its probably going to have no interest to him what so ever.

Although my course is higher level than GCSE, I will assume the GCSE has the same basis of topics. So he will be studying things like equality and diversity, legislation, safeguarding, health and safety, development, anatomy and physiology, disorders etc. Also, I am by no means discriminating against males here, but the course tends to lean towards having more females rather than males. Not sure how it pans out in your school, but on my course out of 60 students only three of these are male, all the rest female. If your brother, since he is young, doesn't fancy being the only male or one of few males in a class, maybe he should go for product design. I only mention that because one of my friends chose to do woodwork at GCSE, and she was the only girl. Taunting from other students led to her dropping it and swapping it for something else and she really enjoyed it, too

I did graphic design at GCSE, so I guess it's very different to product design. I enjoyed graphic design, it's not the path I have chosen to go down, but i enjoyed the lessons and course work. Then again I had been using image software since I was 12 so I had a bit of an advantage.

In all honesty, you can't ask any of us on here to answer your question. It is your brothers decision, we cannot make it for him. So my ultimate suggestion would be this: how about he discusses each course with the teachers from the courses, and gain an understanding of what they are. That way, he will know more and be able to make a decision himself. I know it is 'just another GCSE', but that GCSE will come in handy at some point in his life, so don't let him waste it.

Best wishes with it anyway!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (184)
38.25%
Take autumn exams (148)
30.77%
Look for a job (16)
3.33%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.37%
Take a year out (84)
17.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.82%

Watched Threads