Active Transport - Biology B3 AQA Watch

AGill07
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I'm struggling with active transport in unit 3 biology. What does against the concentration gradient mean? I understand diffusion and osmosis, but I don't really understand what active transport is? It would really help if someone could explain! Thank you
gapyear2018
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AGill07)
Hi,
I'm struggling with active transport in unit 3 biology. What does against the concentration gradient mean? I understand diffusion and osmosis, but I don't really understand what active transport is? It would really help if someone could explain! Thank you

Active transport is the process by which dissolved molecules move across a cell membrane from a lower to a higher concentration. In active transport, particles move against the concentration gradient - and therefore require an input of energy from the cell.

Movement from a lower concentration to a high concentration is moving against the gradient.

06shawm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,
Diffusion is the concept of where you move from a high concentration to a low concentration. This is following a concentration gradient.

Active transport is the opposite. You are moving from a low concentration to a high concentration. Since this process isn't passive it requires energy in the form of ATP which is produced via mitochondria.

Here's an example:

You have a cell membrane. On one side you have abundant sodium ions whereas on the other side of the cell membrane is very little sodium ions. In the case of diffusion, sodium ions are going to passively (i.e doesn't require energy) move via sodium channels across the cell membrane i.e high to low

If you applied the concept of active transport, you would use a transporter to transfer sodium ions from the low concentration side to the high concentration side of the cell membrane. This requires energy i.e ATP produced via mitochondria. This is going against the concentration gradient since you are going from low to high.
AGill07
Rep:
?
Thank you so much! I understand it now
AGill07
Rep:
?
But just one quick question; by transporter do you mean the transport proteins?
06shawm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But just one quick question; by transporter do you mean the transport proteins?
Yes i.e Na+/K+ pump
AGill07
Rep:
?
Ahhh thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (44)
60.27%
No (29)
39.73%

Watched Threads