Chemistry - Elimination Mechanism - HELP!!!

Watch
RedSoldiier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Alcohol X has the structure (CH3)2 C(OH)CH(CH3)2

What two products are formed when alcohol X is converted into 2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene in the presence of a strong acid?

I know this is an Elimination reaction, I also understand how one of the products are formed due to the hydrogen leaving which creates a double bond between the two carbons. However I do not understand what the other product would be and how it would be formed?
Please help!!!
Dylann
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Surely it's just water? The OH and H are eliminated...

(Original post by RedSoldiier)
Alcohol X has the structure (CH3)2 C(OH)CH(CH3)2

What two products are formed when alcohol X is converted into 2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene in the presence of a strong acid?

I know this is an Elimination reaction, I also understand how one of the products are formed due to the hydrogen leaving which creates a double bond between the two carbons. However I do not understand what the other product would be and how it would be formed?
Please help!!!
smozsolution
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The other product would be water, would it not?

You eliminate the OH as there are no OH groups on the final product, 2,3- dimethylbut-2-ene, and a H is also eliminated so you can form the double bond that is present between two Carbon atoms (Carbon can only form 4 bonds so a C would be unable to have a double bond if a H is still present - as that is 5 bonds, not 4)

That leaves you with water hopefully that makes some sense.
RedSoldiier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dylann)
Surely it's just water? The OH and H are eliminated...
oh alright what about this part

name the isomer of 2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene which is also formed in the reaction.
RedSoldiier
Rep:
?
(Original post by smozsolution)
The other product would be water, would it not?

You eliminate the OH as there are no OH groups on the final product, 2,3- dimethylbut-2-ene, and a H is also eliminated so you can form the double bond that is present between two Carbon atoms (Carbon can only form 4 bonds so a C would be unable to have a double bond if a H is still present - as that is 5 bonds, not 4)

That leaves you with water hopefully that makes some sense.

smozsolution
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Draw out a compound that has the same molecular formula but has a different structure.

Essentially, it's asking for a different compound that has exactly the same number of Carbons and Hydrogens in it but doesn't look like 2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene. I'd start by drawing that out first and then seeing how you can change the structure.
RedSoldiier
Rep:
?
Draw out a compound that has the same molecular formula but has a different structure.

Essentially, it's asking for a different compound that has exactly the same number of Carbons and Hydrogens in it but doesn't look like 2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene. I'd start by drawing that out first and then seeing how you can change the structure.
hmm i can't seem to change the structure :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
smozsolution
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Try to either moving the methyl groups or the C=C bond around. You essentially want to end up with something that's not 2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene.
Dylann
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

It has to also be formed in the reaction, so you can't just draw any old isomer. Think about elimination, the OH must be eliminated as well as a hydrogen on a neighbouring carbon. The OH is on the second carbon. Therefore, it can be eliminated with the hydrogen on carbon number 1 or carbon number 3. Since the question gave us but-2-ene, we know that must have been the hydrogen on carbon 3, since that was why the double bond formed between carbons 2 and 3.

Therefore the other product must be from carbon number 1, and would be called 2,3-dimethylbut-1-ene
smozsolution
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It has to also be formed in the reaction, so you can't just draw any old isomer. Think about elimination, the OH must be eliminated as well as a hydrogen on a neighbouring carbon. The OH is on the second carbon. Therefore, it can be eliminated with the hydrogen on carbon number 1 or carbon number 3. Since the question gave us but-2-ene, we know that must have been the hydrogen on carbon 3, since that was why the double bond formed between carbons 2 and 3.

Therefore the other product must be from carbon number 1, and would be called 2,3-dimethylbut-1-ene
Thank you for explaining it a little bit better than I did, hopefully both together we've helped OP somewhat

I'll rep you tomorrow (seen as I've run out for today ) for that too as it's helped my understanding
Dylann
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thank you for explaining it a little bit better than I did, hopefully both together we've helped OP somewhat

I'll rep you tomorrow (seen as I've run out for today ) for that too as it's helped my understanding
Here's a pic, visual representation is probably easier for this type of question...

Name:  alcohol to alkene.png
Views: 612
Size:  11.0 KB
RedSoldiier
Rep:
?
Here's a pic, visual representation is probably easier for this type of question...

oh i drew the structure wrong
thank you so much !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.15%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.28%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (95)
10.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.4%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.92%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.36%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.06%
Financial worries (61)
6.82%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.26%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.61%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.04%

Watched Threads