The Student Room Group

Which is more comp. for Econ: Oxford or LSE?

* I know Oxford is economics and management but still.. Which is more competitive?

And do you need further maths for Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
You don't need Further Maths for Oxford.

It's difficult to assess which is more competitive to be honest. Their application process is quite different and so if one suits you more than the other then you'd say that one is 'easier' for you to get into. For Oxford you have to do the TSA test and then an interview. For LSE you have neither of them and realistically need FM to at least AS and LSE puts emphasis on personal statement whereas Oxford don't really pay much attention to it.

Numbers wise applicants per place is marginally higher for Oxford and Oxford you'd argue has easier requirements because it's just A*AA with the A* in anything whereas LSE is with the A*.

Basically you can't say which is more competitive, each can play to different peoples strengths. For example I got rejected after interview for PPE at Oxford but got an offer for Govt and Econ at LSE. Someone I met at Oxford interview got an offer from Oxford but was rejected by LSE
I would say LSE as they have a lower acceptance rate and they don't do interviews most of the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending