The Student Room Group

Can someone please help me with this numeracy question :)

Morphine is a potent painkiller often used for emergency pain relief. The British National Formulary contains the following recommended doses for injection:
< 1 month old:150 µg/kg

The smallest available syringe is a 2ml syringe, the smallest division of which is 0.1 ml. To help you prepare the dose for the 3 week old baby your colleague mixes 1 ml from the ampoule with 9ml of isotonic saline.
What volume (in ml) of this mixture should you inject?

In the previous question they asked how much morphine would be given to a 3 week baby weighing 3.5kg and using the data < 1 month old:150 µg/kg, I calculated the volume to be 0.0525ml.
They are saying the answer to the question in bold is 0.525ml,but i don't get it. Can someone please explain this to me. Thank you so much :smile:
There is a tenth (0.1) morphine in the new solution so you would need 10 times as much to get the same dose. So 0.0525ml x 10.
Imagine you had a glass full of juice and another glass of 10% juice and 90% water. To get the same volume of pure juice as in the first glass, 10 glasses of the diluted one would be needed to get 100%.
Hope that helps
Reply 2
Original post by Faithams
There is a tenth (0.1) morphine in the new solution so you would need 10 times as much to get the same dose. So 0.0525ml x 10.
Imagine you had a glass full of juice and another glass of 10% juice and 90% water. To get the same volume of pure juice as in the first glass, 10 glasses of the diluted one would be needed to get 100%.
Hope that helps

Thanks, I think I get it now :smile:
But was there a point of the question including the fact that there was a 2ml syringe involved?
Original post by Jaanu
Thanks, I think I get it now :smile:
But was there a point of the question including the fact that there was a 2ml syringe involved?

You're welcome :smile:
Hmm.. from what I can tell its not important seeing as they only filled 1ml.
I do know that if you use a large syringe for a small volume, it makes the reading less accurate but it doesnt ask about that. Is it for a next question maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest