The Student Room Group

Ask a Creationist

Anything goes. Just be respectful :smile:

Bit about me - born again in 2010, aged 25, Evangelical in my beliefs, married and raising two boys in the church. Studied BSc Pol Sci at LSE 2003-6.

Evolution - accept micro-evolution and changes within species, or 'kinds'. This does not contradict the bible.

Flood - accept the biblical account. Worldwide flood, Noah and family saved.

Origins - don't accept abiogenesis, scientific thought too speculative, believe in two original humans - Adam and Eve.

Go mad! Hopefully I can witness in a way Jesus would be proud :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Browmer

Bit about me - born again in 2010, aged 25, Evangelical in my beliefs, married and raising two boys in the church. Studied BSc Pol Sci at LSE 2003-6.

Evolution - accept micro-evolution and changes within species, or 'kinds'. This does not contradict the bible.

Origins - don't accept abiogenesis, scientific thought too speculative, believe in two original humans - Adam and Eve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, fellow Christian here :smile:

Could you give an example of what you mean here, cheers!

Do you think Ken Ham is a good Christian?
Reply 3
Original post by Browmer
As the biblical account of the flood demonstrably never happened, is there anything that would cause you to reject the biblical narrative of Christianity?

Following from that, do you accept everything in the OT?
What is your attitude towards homosexuality?
What do you make of the fact that it is impossible for the genetic diversity in the world to have arisen from two individual humans? Ergo, it is impossible for there to have been an Adam and Eve?

Why did God punish Adam and Eve for eating the fruit, when they had no way of knowing it was a bad thing to do (knowledge of good and evil only came from eating it)?

As the Biblical flood is not supported by any evidence, why do you believe it happened? It is also impossible for there to have been an ark big enough to fit two of all lifeforms on it, how did it happen? And how did none of the animals eat each other? And what of insects, and microscopic bugs?

Why did God commit mass genocide on this occasion, but choose to save humanity through Jesus later on? Why not use Jesus in the first place?

Do you accept the Big Bang? if not, are you comfortable with being a victim of cognitive dissonance?

How can you accept micro evolution, but not macro, without being arbitrary? How do you explain the fact that 99% of scientists accept evolution, but you don't? Have you researched it objectively?

How much do you know about Biblical history? Do you know the process in which the Gospels were written, when and by whom? How do you explain contradictions between the Gospels? What do you think about the Gospels which were rejected from the canonical Bible, such as that of Thomas?

Is belief in Christ the only route to salvation? If so, what of people born before Christ's arrival, and those who died before hearing about him?

Do you believe in Hell? If so, how do you justify an eternal punishment for a temporal crime - is that not by definition unjust?

How much do you know about the history of Christianity, and the development of Christian doctrine? Have you heard of the Councils of Nicaea, and Chalcedon? If not, you are not a very knowledgeable Christian.

I have many, many more questions for you, if these aren't enough. I do a degree in Philosophy and Theology, so I know a fair bit about Christian teaching (and the issues associated...)
Reply 6
Original post by Racoon
Hey, fellow Christian here :smile:

Could you give an example of what you mean here, cheers!

Hey :smile:

I mean I accept changes we are able to witness taking place - bacterial strains, for example.

What I don't accept is the narrative that human beings descended from animals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by dozyrosie
Do you think Ken Ham is a good Christian?

I know the name but nowhere near enough about his faith to answer that question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by QE2
As the biblical account of the flood demonstrably never happened, is there anything that would cause you to reject the biblical narrative of Christianity?

Following from that, do you accept everything in the OT?

I don't think you can show that it never happened. But I take your point. Of course I have asked myself that question and the truth is I don't know. I wouldn't know until it happened.

On your second question, what do you mean by accept? I consider it to be entirely the Word of God.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by simbasdragon
What is your attitude towards homosexuality?

Any sexual behaviour outside of marriage, as defined by Jesus, is sin. That includes men having boyfriends, women having girlfriends etc. but it also includes a lot of other things I am guilty of myself, such as lusting over someone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Browmer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you seeking the truth or just to reconfirm your beliefs?
Original post by Browmer
I know the name but nowhere near enough about his faith to answer that question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He is a YEC, are you a YEC or Old World Creationist (?), just so we know what kind of beliefs you have.
Original post by Browmer

Have you ever heard of the Youtuber Potholer54?

Do you also believe that I, as a non-Christian, deserve hell?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
What do you make of the fact that it is impossible for the genetic diversity in the world to have arisen from two individual humans? Ergo, it is impossible for there to have been an Adam and Eve?

You ask a lot of questions! Some origins based, like the one above, others more general.

Pick the one you would most like to hear an answer to and I'll get back to you asap. I'm only on an iPhone at the minute!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Maker
Are you seeking the truth or just to reconfirm your beliefs?

On this thread? Neither.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by dozyrosie
He is a YEC, are you a YEC or Old World Creationist (?), just so we know what kind of beliefs you have.

Not a fan of labels but I'm closer to YEC. However I don't put an age on the earth like some do, I have no idea how old the earth is and the bible is silent on that issue also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by UncleIroh
Have you ever heard of the Youtuber Potholer54?

Do you also believe that I, as a non-Christian, deserve hell?

Never heard of them.

Every sinner deserves hell, including me. No one is sent to hell for not being a Christian, they are sent for committing evil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Browmer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Essentially...how can you accept creationism? The idea that we all came from 2 people is impossible...There would be so much incest (which is wrong right? ) that all humans would be deformed with no genetic diversity. Considering the amount of evidence for evolution I don't see why you don't accept it. A few years back creationists wouldn't even accept microevolution but now they do. Why would there be evolution on small organisms but not large ones? Where is the sense in that...the only difference is generation time and perceived "complexity". The reason creationists usually don't believe in it is because it takes too long to see with their own eyes (unless you have a different reason which isn't just "The bible said it" or "God said it") but this begs the question...if the reason is that you cannot see it with your own eyes how can you believe in God?

Do you ignore proof against creationism? For example it has been proved that humans are of African descent...not the middle east where there is a genetic bottleneck. With the arc thing...it landed in the Himalayas (or somewhere around there...can't remember exactly) but how did the animals on the arc move to where they are now? Any american animal would have to swim an entire ocean. Yet there are no record of these animals moving from the Himalayas to anywhere. Again...it would mean all animals are made by incest and also, it is physically not possible to build a wooden boat that could hold two of every animal, and enough food and water and still be able to float and what if one animal died on the arc (2 of every species for 40 days is bound to have at least one death) uh oh...extinct species...except the already swimming species, they are fine.

God is supposedly perfect? How come so many things in biology are completely flawed and don't work nearly as well as they could right from the supposed "design". If there was a creator he would not create most things in the world the way they are now.

What about the evidence towards abiogenesis? The fact that if you create a environment similar to earth's before life the elements start forming amino acids, carbohydrates and other essential molecules and even start forming things that look like cells.

I really hope none of this was offensive to you :smile: Really didn't want it to be I just want to discuss your views on things :smile:

Reply 18
Original post by Munrot07
Essentially...how can you accept creationism? The idea that we all came from 2 people is impossible...There would be so much incest (which is wrong right? ) that all humans would be deformed with no genetic diversity. Considering the amount of evidence for evolution I don't see why you don't accept it. A few years back creationists wouldn't even accept microevolution but now they do. Why would there be evolution on small organisms but not large ones? Where is the sense in that...the only difference is generation time and perceived "complexity". The reason creationists usually don't believe in it is because it takes too long to see with their own eyes (unless you have a different reason which isn't just "The bible said it" or "God said it") but this begs the question...if the reason is that you cannot see it with your own eyes how can you believe in God?

Do you ignore proof against creationism? For example it has been proved that humans are of African descent...not the middle east where there is a genetic bottleneck. With the arc thing...it landed in the Himalayas (or somewhere around there...can't remember exactly) but how did the animals on the arc move to where they are now? Any american animal would have to swim an entire ocean. Yet there are no record of these animals moving from the Himalayas to anywhere. Again...it would mean all animals are made by incest and also, it is physically not possible to build a wooden boat that could hold two of every animal, and enough food and water and still be able to float and what if one animal died on the arc (2 of every species for 40 days is bound to have at least one death) uh oh...extinct species...except the already swimming species, they are fine.

God is supposedly perfect? How come so many things in biology are completely flawed and don't work nearly as well as they could right from the supposed "design". If there was a creator he would not create most things in the world the way they are now.

What about the evidence towards abiogenesis? The fact that if you create a environment similar to earth's before life the elements start forming amino acids, carbohydrates and other essential molecules and even start forming things that look like cells.

I really hope none of this was offensive to you :smile: Really didn't want it to be I just want to discuss your views on things :smile:

I don't think the OP is really interested in the facts, creationists can happily ignore any inconvenient facts that contradict what they believe in however improbable or unsupported by facts.
About the ark, what would you say about the fact that under the biblical account, it happened during the height of the ancient Egyptian civilisation. This means according to the bible everyone in Egypt died in the flood and then the civilisation rose again with the same leaders in a very small amount of time and with the people having no memory of the event.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending