The Student Room Group

Student Loan + Grant Confusion...

I'm having issues with finding the answer to my questions about student finance, nobody in my sixth form leadership team can answer them and I really have no idea what to do about it.
Basically, one of my parents is currently on sick leave and has gone down to half pay, so thats one of my issues; do I enter the household income as what it is with the half salary or not?
My other issue is that it doesnt look likely that that parent will be returning to work, so we will go down to just one salary. Using the student income calculator for this, I worked out that I would get the full grant amount (for study outside London and living away from home) and the corresponding loan amount as our household income would be under £25000. By the time we go down to the single salary however, the deadline for student finance would have passed. SO...I have no idea what to enter as my household income, as it may change before and after the deadline for student finance.
I know thats a lot to take it...I guess you can see why I'm confused, I just dont want to get to uni and not have the right amount of money as I wont be supported financially from home.
Thanks.
Hello Talisman 689,

When you make your application for the 15/16 academic year we need to know the income from your parents for the 13/14 tax year http://bit.ly/1CC6tVw

We will carry out the initial assessment based on this.

We then need both of your parents to complete the Current Year Income form http://bit.ly/1FOeJEL to notify us of the drop in income in the current tax year, we will change the assessment for your finance based on this form.

During the academic year we will write to your parents to ask them if there has been any change to the income since the last assessment & if there has they will complete the form which will be attached to the letter & return this to us for another assessment.

At the end of the academic year we will write to your parents asking for proof of the income that they actually received, your assessment will then be finalised for the year.

Thanks

Quick Reply