The Student Room Group

should i take this unconditional offer to study psychology @city?

I just got an e-mail today from City Uni stating that they are willing to give me an unconditional offer, regardless of my A2 grades. I was ecstatic when I read this, however it's kinda stressing me out if i'm honest:frown:... my other choices are King's college, Queen Mary's, Goldsmiths and Royal Holloway (all have given me conditional offers except for King's which i'm still waiting for...)

I was thinking of putting Royal Holloway as my first choice (I would choose King's but this is the first year they are doing the course so idk) but it's so hard choosing between Royal Holloway or City :confused: Which is better for Psychology??? I really like City uni as well, plus it would be a massive load off of my shoulders if I didn't have to worry as much about what grades I got for A2... (I'm still gonna try and do my best though), but Royal Holloway just has slight more appeal... is it really worth the risk??? Oh and the offer is only unconditional if I put them as my firm choice.

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wow you must really love London.

I used to live near city uni and I can't discourage it more. The atmosphere is bleak and isn't worth going to. If you want, put them as your insurance and put one of the other unis as your firm, one you're more keen on.
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Wow you must really love London.

I used to live near city uni and I can't discourage it more. The atmosphere is bleak and isn't worth going to. If you want, put them as your insurance and put one of the other unis as your firm, one you're more keen on.

Hi thanks for your reply, yeah i get that alot haha but it's because i live in London and I am not planning to move out for uni
Royal Holloway is a very good university for psychology.
Yeah like above said, Psychology at Royal Holloway is really fantastic - arguably its best subject too.

Accepting City's offer is just admitting that you're pessimistic about achieving the entry grades for RH. The quality of the latter is so much higher and as you said yourself, it's more appealing. Unconditional offers are just methods by universities of encouraging top applicants to put them as their firm - the average quality of students is therefore lower in comparison to other places.

Aim high and go for Royal Holloway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by microsoftwindows
I just got an e-mail today from City Uni stating that they are willing to give me an unconditional offer, regardless of my A2 grades. I was ecstatic when I read this, however it's kinda stressing me out if i'm honest:frown:... my other choices are King's college, Queen Mary's, Goldsmiths and Royal Holloway (all have given me conditional offers except for King's which i'm still waiting for...)

I was thinking of putting Royal Holloway as my first choice (I would choose King's but this is the first year they are doing the course so idk) but it's so hard choosing between Royal Holloway or City :confused: Which is better for Psychology??? I really like City uni as well, plus it would be a massive load off of my shoulders if I didn't have to worry as much about what grades I got for A2... (I'm still gonna try and do my best though), but Royal Holloway just has slight more appeal... is it really worth the risk??? Oh and the offer is only unconditional if I put them as my firm choice.

Since the unconditional offer is only unconditional if you put it as your first choice, just put it as your first choice. This means that whatever happens you're definitley going to uni. Put royal holloway uni as your second choice then on the day when you get your exam results and find that you have high enough grades to go to royal holloway, ring up and tell city uni that you don't want to go there and tell royal holloway you want a place there. My friend is in exactly the same boat and that's what the head of admissions told them to do. If you're certain that you're gonna get high enough grades for royal holloway then put that as your firm and city as your insurance choice
Thanks for the reply. That actually sounds like a good idea but would that not mean i would most likely have to enter clearing as i would be changing my choice at such a late date?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No because since its your insurance choice the uni will already have a place for you. If you're unsure ring up royal holloway and see but they should be okay with it. Clearing is different because you're ringing up uni's that you haven't got a place for, firm or insurance whereas you'd already have a place with royal holloway from putting it as your insurance choice
Oh ok i see, well thanks for that! I have more re assurance now :yep:
Original post by microsoftwindows
Oh ok i see, well thanks for that! I have more re assurance now :yep:

Noo problem, good luck with exams! I'm doing psychology aswell it looks amazing, I'm sure you'll do great 😊
Original post by Jadeoselton
No because since its your insurance choice the uni will already have a place for you. If you're unsure ring up royal holloway and see but they should be okay with it. Clearing is different because you're ringing up uni's that you haven't got a place for, firm or insurance whereas you'd already have a place with royal holloway from putting it as your insurance choice

No. Your insurance choice vanishes on results day if you make the grades for your firm. You'd have to either ring up Royal Holloway or go through clearing on the day and there's no guarantee they'd take you since few Psychology places are in clearing there.
Ah knew it was too good to be true :frown:
I would say put royal holloway because it's amazing for psychology! However, I study psychology at City, so If you have any questions I can try and help answer them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
what is an unconditional offer?
Original post by Aladino
what is an unconditional offer?

He joins the uni indefinitely , doesn't matter what grades op gets.
Go for the better university. I know a guy that had unconditional to do Psychology at Queen Mary but he decided to go UCL.
Reply 17
Original post by TSR Mustafa
He joins the uni indefinitely , doesn't matter what grades op gets.

thanks, how do you get one? I am in year 11 so I have no idea about how this all works.
Original post by Aladino
thanks, how do you get one? I am in year 11 so I have no idea about how this all works.

You need to have exceptional grades throughout. Google about it.
Reply 19
Original post by TSR Mustafa
You need to have exceptional grades throughout. Google about it.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest