I'm a Jewish Atheist, ask me anything Watch

simbasdragon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Exactly as the title suggests, just please don't be disrespectful or abusive.
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is your title meant to imply that there aren't very many Atheist legacy Jews? More Jews outside Israel are Atheists and progressives. Israel itself only assets Jewish preeminence and not Jewish dominance, which is why it has such a large non-Jewish population. Thankfully for the Jewish nation state of Israel the actual Jews who believe are growing and the non-believers are decreasing as a percentage because of birth rates.
simbasdragon
Rep:
?
(Original post by william walker)
Is your title meant to imply that there aren't very many Atheist legacy Jews? More Jews outside Israel are Atheists and progressives. Israel itself only assets Jewish preeminence and not Jewish dominance, which is why it has such a large non-Jewish population. Thankfully for the Jewish nation state of Israel the actual Jews who believe are growing and the non-believers are decreasing as a percentage because of birth rates.
I'm slightly confused by what you're suggesting, my only intention of mentioning the fact that I'm also an atheist was to prevent questions asking why I believe as I do when it comes to aspects of Judasim - when I don't believe in them, and to perhaps lead to questions asking about the conflict that I've found between being a part of the Jewish community whilst being an atheist. Don't know why you felt it was relevant to bring Israel into this in any way whatsoever.
capitalismstinks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you jewish first or national ( UK I presume? ) identity first?
Xin Xang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wait I thought Jews follow Judaism and Judaism is a monotheistic religion.

So how are you atheist?
]
simbasdragon
Rep:
?
(Original post by capitalismstinks)
Are you jewish first or national ( UK I presume? ) identity first?
Just thought about this now, and I'd probably identify as my national identity primarily, then as other aspects of my character, then Jewish.
william walker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by simbasdragon)
I'm slightly confused by what you're suggesting, my only intention of mentioning the fact that I'm also an atheist was to prevent questions asking why I believe as I do when it comes to aspects of Judasim - when I don't believe in them, and to perhaps lead to questions asking about the conflict that I've found between being a part of the Jewish community whilst being an atheist. Don't know why you felt it was relevant to bring Israel into this in any way whatsoever.
Well Israel is the Jewish nation state, really it is your homeland. So as a Jew it will come up. I also don't know why you thought you would get questions about being a Jew, I had no idea you were a Jew. I wouldn't have known or cared if you hadn't mentioned it.

I also find it very funny that you are an Atheist because you don't want your faith tested with questions.

Anyway, what sort of cars do you like?
simbasdragon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xin Xang)
Wait I thought Jews follow Judaism and Judaism is a monotheistic religion.

So how are you atheist?
]
It is complicated. Judaism is a religion which Jews follow, however it also also an ethnicity in that it follows maternal lineage. So if your mother is Jewish, regardless of whether you believe in Judaism or want anything to do with it, you are automatically Jewish.

Hence why you can be Jewish as your mother is, but not believe in god and the religion and therefore also be an atheist.
simbasdragon
Rep:
?
(Original post by william walker)
Well Israel is the Jewish nation state, really it is your homeland. So as a Jew it will come up. I also don't know why you thought you would get questions about being a Jew, I had no idea you were a Jew. I wouldn't have known or cared if you hadn't mentioned it.

I also find it very funny that you are an Atheist because you don't want your faith tested with questions.

Anyway, what sort of cars do you like?
I presume you are trolling, but I'll humour you anyway. The belief that Israel is the natural homeland of Jews is a belief of Zionism, which is not the same thing as Judaism. My homeland is England, in the same way that Afghanistan is a Muslim state, but an English Muslim might see England as their homeland.

How could you claim to have no idea that I was a Jew when in my title i state that 'I am a Jewish Atheist?'
elohssa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haha I have no personal dislike of him, but my political beliefs are primarily left wing, and as I no longer perceive Labour as being this, I disagree with his policies.
Yea but do u look like him?
simbasdragon
Rep:
?
(Original post by elohssa)
Yea but do u look like him?
No...
elohssa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No...
Good.
simbasdragon
Rep:
?
(Original post by elohssa)
Good.
Why do you ask?
Ravenous
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What's your opinion on the Haredim?
simbasdragon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ravenous)
What's your opinion on the Haredim?
They're a very exclusive and quite secretive community, many of them would regard the Jews that I know and associate with as not truly Jewish as we are not as strict as them. For the most part though from what I know they are decent, law-abiding citizens, who live peacefully and want the best for their children and families, and strongly believe that they are doing the best for them. However, religious extremism makes me very uncomfortable and I strongly dislike the sexists roles placed on the men and women, the indoctrination, and the refusal to teach their children to a level which would allow them to survive in the secular world.
Ravenous
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They're a very exclusive and quite secretive community, many of them would regard the Jews that I know and associate with as not truly Jewish as we are not as strict as them. For the most part though from what I know they are decent, law-abiding citizens, who live peacefully and want the best for their children and families, and strongly believe that they are doing the best for them. However, religious extremism makes me very uncomfortable and I strongly dislike the sexists roles placed on the men and women, the indoctrination, and the refusal to teach their children to a level which would allow them to survive in the secular world.
How do you feel about their rapid growth rates in Israel, do you think it would cause problems in the future?
elohssa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
And why might I look like him exactly? Because he's also Jewish?
Well you're not gonna look like Wesley Snipes are ya?
TheTruthTeller
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why do you refer to yourself as a jewish athiest? Judaism is a religion not a race. You can have a ginger Ashkenazi Jew from Scotland and a black jew from Ethiopia, where is the racial and genetical connection? Most European Jews have genetically assimilated Anways through breeding with non jews.
simbasdragon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ravenous)
How do you feel about their rapid growth rates in Israel, do you think it would cause problems in the future?
Rapid growth rates of the Haredi? If that's what you're to then yes, I do envisage it causing a lot of problems. At the moment there is already a Haredi political party, and with an increased Haredi population that likely means growing support for that party to the point where they may be able to gain enough seats in parliament to be significantly influential. Their religious beliefs for the most part are incompatible with the secular society which Israel wants to be, where they would probably impose sanctions on modesty, homosexuality and the gay rights parades, and try and impose strict Torah values.

However I don't seeing them gaining enough support for the foreseeable future for them to be considered an immediate threat.
Jay84
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you read 'To rise again at a decent hour' by Joshua Ferris?

If you haven't, it might interest you since one of the principal themes is about what non-religious and in particular, atheistic Jewishness means to a couple of the major characters.

In particular, there is a subplot about a character who studies with rabbis to become an orthodox Jew and adopts all of the praying, dress and other customs that goes with it but is denied acceptance (and permission to marry a Jewish woman) because after passing scrutiny on his knowledge and practice of customs admits that he is atheist when directly asked for the first time. He says he chose to do what he had did purely for love of the culture and tradition.

What do you think about that? Do you think that Jewish communities should be more accepting of atheists who want to formally convert to Judiasm or at least be accepted as Jews as much as those with lineage on the distaff side? In other words would you accept people 'culturally emigrating' into Judaism (through marriage, friendship or interest) or would you only respect the Jewishness of those converts that passed the rabbis' strict religious requirements of faith?

Also, as a second question. You see a lot of 'cultural jews' on American TV and films but I don't think I ever saw much of that in the UK. Over here it seems more like isolated communities of very religious (or at least religious looking) Jewish people. Are there a lot of atheistic jews in the uk?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (370)
67.27%
No (180)
32.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed