The Student Room Group

1 Month USA trip.

I've planned a rough itinerary for the month after I finish working at camp and wanted any tips or advice especially if you have any unusual experiences or pearls of wisdom! I'm well travelled and have done a lot of USA before but these are all new to me and on my wishlist. If you think I should cut somewhere out to spend more time elsewhere that would be super helpful cause I know this is too hectic!

Number of Nights = 2N/4N etc..

2N Philly (Start here from camp)
4N New Orleans
3N Memphis
3N Nashville
2N (Louisville)
2N Cleveland
2N Chicago
2N (St Louis)

2N Denver : seeing concert here this number of days in
5N Boston
4N New York (Fly home from JFK)

Bold is the iffy part and ( ) are those that I'm most unsure of - will I not see enough of anywhere in 2 nights? Willing to cut out places to make the most of better places. I've done NY a few times and love it but could literally just go there to fly home if it means discovering new places!
Reply 1
Original post by wilds004
I've planned a rough itinerary for the month after I finish working at camp and wanted any tips or advice especially if you have any unusual experiences or pearls of wisdom! I'm well travelled and have done a lot of USA before but these are all new to me and on my wishlist. If you think I should cut somewhere out to spend more time elsewhere that would be super helpful cause I know this is too hectic!

Number of Nights = 2N/4N etc..

2N Philly (Start here from camp)
4N New Orleans
3N Memphis
3N Nashville
2N (Louisville)
2N Cleveland
2N Chicago
2N (St Louis)

2N Denver : seeing concert here this number of days in
5N Boston
4N New York (Fly home from JFK)

Bold is the iffy part and ( ) are those that I'm most unsure of - will I not see enough of anywhere in 2 nights? Willing to cut out places to make the most of better places. I've done NY a few times and love it but could literally just go there to fly home if it means discovering new places!

If you're going to Cleveland I'd definitely recommend checking for any bands they might have touring during the days you're there, when I lived close to Cleveland they'd get great bands all the time. Imagine Dragons are there in June, for example. They also have a few places that are really good for rock/metal (house of blues comes to mind). 2 nights is probably enough as cleveland isn't massive.

As for Chicago -- I visited and stayed 3 nights, which imo was a perfect amount of time to see stuff. Would recommend going to the Skydeck (was great in the day and at night), going somewhere for their famous deep dish pizza, going to see the bean (uh, cloud gate), there's also the shedd aquarium if you're into that kind of thing (i loved it but not all of my friends were into it) and a few musuems. If you're planning on doing tourist-y stuff like this, then I would def recommend checking out the chicago cityPASS which is essentially a combined ticket for the major tourist attractions, you save money if you buy it rather than paying for things individually.

Haven't been to the other places (except NY) so can't comment, but I've done roadtrips before and I'd say 2 nights is fine to see most things, but try to plan in advance or you'll end up wasting time while you're on the road.
(edited 9 years ago)
Traveling to the United States is a very exciting endeavor. There is so much to see, and so much land to cover, that sometimes it might seem a bit overwhelming. Follow these five steps for researching your trip and avoid the headaches that often come with traveling to the United States.

1. Research, Research, Research With so much information on the web, any traveler knows that the first step to any successful trip is doing one's homework. Use the sites listed below, Google maps, and travel forums and blogs to discuss personalized tips for your intended region. Be sure to know travel times and distances. These travel forums are filled with people who've been there before. Ask for their help. Experience is invaluable when it comes to travel.

2. Do Sitewide Searches Using Google is a no brainer, however most do not know of the 'site:' function. This powerful operator allows you to search through single websites. So if you have a travel forum or blog and you are looking for an answer regarding 'Houston Texas', just Google the following

site:examplesite.com Houston, Texas

Make sure to leave a space after the website you want to search.

3. Be Specific When you do as a question, be specific as possible. How much will something cost? Will it be hot, or cold? Where can I get a good burrito? How long should I stay? The more specific you are, the better someone can help you.

4. Be Respectful When asking for help online, be respectful of other people's country. You do not want to mix politics with travel advice. This is not the time to express an opinion. Just ask for help and go about your business.

5. Check Out The Following Sites

hostels.com
amtrak.com
tsa.gov
roomsaver.com
biddingfortravel.com
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I'll hopefully be with fellow staff from camp and possibly a friend that lives out there for a portion of the time.

This will be my second summer at camp with the month travel visa afterwards - last summer I had a plan but was too nervous to go it alone and so ended up following a group and compromising a lot. We did Philly, Baltimore, DC, orlando, miami, new york.

-- For a first timer I would definitely say DC and NY are must sees, Orlando is wonderful but not real america in my opinion as it is so tourist catered - you could go there for a whole fortnight alone though and not run out of stuff to do (I've been to orl around 15 times and still love it and do something new each visit) the Universal parks in particular are fab. I hear nashville and New Orleans are also incredible hence why I'm desperate to go there! --

I should also mention I won't be driving so it's all buses planes and trains whatever makes most sense.
I am also only 20 so if anyone recommends bars do you know if I'll be allowed in (thinking about music venues in Nashville or n.o in particular)

Quick Reply

Latest