The Student Room Group

I just can't cope on Jobseekers

I lost my job at the beginning of December and supported myself for a month before applying for Job Seekers when I realised it was more difficult to find another job and needed financial support.

When I had my first interview at the Jobcentre the person I saw was very friendly and helpful. But then I met my advisor. She seems to be doing everything in her power to make my life a misery.

I finished University last year and ideally I would like to find a job as a junior web developer but according to her that's unrealistic and insists I find other work. I don't just want a job, I want a career and a future.

She then booked me two appointments which were to do with the same thing and I only attended one of them because I genuinely thought it was just the one (I didn't realise at the time she booked me two). I got off with a warning. Was this some sort of trick?

My grandma passed away a few weeks ago and I wasn't in the best state of mind. I attended the Jobcentre as usual and was honest with them that I haven't done a whole deal of job searching and she sanctioned me.

I have received £0.00 from JSA since I applied and now she's put me on daily signing with no money for transport along with 3 appointments elsewhere.

Now I just feel really down. I've already had to go into my unarranged overdraft just to get to and from the Jobcentre so I'm most likely going to get a nice fee from the bank staggering me into debt.

How people can live like this for years I don't understand. Our medicine cupboard sounds like a better option.
Wow thats a bit harsh you sufferd a famaly tagdy and th Job Center should have taken that in to considraration but no they don't cair or listen
I'm sorry for your loss but DO NOT GIVE UP. Whatever gets you down, pick yourself back up. JSA people generally are useless and poor at paying on time and you have to tell your Advisor to actually pay the money to your account so do not rely on them. Apply for JSA travel card, it will really help with costs of travel. You can definitely live on £50 something pound a week if you stay home or at a shared home + other house benefits they can pay but not really living by yourself in a flat.

Find the faults you are lacking, as you will be interviewed to the limit from questions and papers. There are jobs out there out there, also ALOT of unpaid work that cover expenses if you are very desperate and they may actually hire you if you do good. I'm sure the market hiring developers is high right now, just keep applying and demonstrate your skills at the interview to the employer. Yes its competitive, but keep going, someone will eventually take you.
Take any job for now.

Its better than no job, will give you money and will also look better on your CV.
Hey, keep your chin up. You've probably already realized this but just for future reference - only ever tell them what they absolutely need to know. Never offer up information voluntarily that could jeopardize your claim because they do not give a damn - they will sanction you at any opportunity no matter how petty the reasons seem so never ever tell them you didn't look for as much work as you were supposed to. Just tell them what they want to hear, be brief and don't expect an ounce of sympathy from them at all. It's a really harsh situation, I know - I've been there. If you need to talk feel free to PM me. You won't be on JSA forever, remember that - things will improve just 'don't let the bastards grind you down'.
Reply 5
Original post by anynamewilldo
I lost my job at the beginning of December and supported myself for a month before applying for Job Seekers when I realised it was more difficult to find another job and needed financial support.

When I had my first interview at the Jobcentre the person I saw was very friendly and helpful. But then I met my advisor. She seems to be doing everything in her power to make my life a misery.

I finished University last year and ideally I would like to find a job as a junior web developer but according to her that's unrealistic and insists I find other work. I don't just want a job, I want a career and a future.

She then booked me two appointments which were to do with the same thing and I only attended one of them because I genuinely thought it was just the one (I didn't realise at the time she booked me two). I got off with a warning. Was this some sort of trick?

My grandma passed away a few weeks ago and I wasn't in the best state of mind. I attended the Jobcentre as usual and was honest with them that I haven't done a whole deal of job searching and she sanctioned me.

I have received £0.00 from JSA since I applied and now she's put me on daily signing with no money for transport along with 3 appointments elsewhere.

Now I just feel really down. I've already had to go into my unarranged overdraft just to get to and from the Jobcentre so I'm most likely going to get a nice fee from the bank staggering me into debt.

How people can live like this for years I don't understand. Our medicine cupboard sounds like a better option.

I went through this last summer. Appeal the sanction immediately on mental health grounds - say you had depression and perhaps even go to a dr and try to get a medical note backing it up. They will continue paying you until they make a decision.

Take ANY job for the time being,it will get you away from the idiots at DWP and will give you money as well as time to look for a proper career.
I agree with others, take any job as a temporary solution, some money is better than no money at all. I also want a career but had to get a job to help myself financially.
When I was on the dole in 2010 it was nothing like this. All it was was
- write down three jobs a fortnight you applied to (which they wouldn't even check)
- go in and receive your money like clockwork
- you even got I think 2 weeks holiday time a year which I used to go to Reading festival on what would otherwise have been a signing day
- no scrutiny whatsoever of why I left my previous job, whereas I understand today you're a job snob if you left voluntarily and a dangerous asocial if you got sacked.

Stopping your benefits because you dared to grieve for your grandmother would have been absolutely unthinkable and shows how low our society has sunk in the short time since.

I think the most stick I had was when the advisor printed me out two jobs and said "apply for these before next time you come in".

Mind you even then I wouldn't have been stupid enough to trust them and say I hadn't been searching for jobs or that I was planning to go to university at the end of the summer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
If they ever say they are going to sanction you, go immediately to the Citizens Advice Bureau. Half the time they try sanction you it isn't even legal. Aside from that as someone above said, do not tell them anything they don't need to know. Any little chance they have to sanction you and they'll do it.

Being the dole is depressing. People treat you like dirt and look down at you as scum, for having the audacity to apply for a benefit you are entitled for. The advisors are a mixed bunch, I've had people who really wanted to help me back into employment, others who just wanted to find any reason to sanction me and some who just didn't care about either. Jobseekers is a temporary thing to keep you afloat until you find any form of employment really. Try apply for any job, just something to get you off it. It is better to work two shifts in a pub and get paid the same as Jobseekers than being on the dole, far less headaches. Accepting another job doesn't mean you are giving up on your goal of becoming junior web developer, it is just a stopping gap. Plus for some reason it always seems easier to gain employment while you have a job. Best of luck getting a job OP. Don't feel down, the Job Centre is just a very frustrating and depressing place.

As for transport this link might help you.....https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-to-help-with-the-cost-of-transport/support-to-help-with-the-cost-of-transport#support-for-the-unemployed

You can get them to reimburse your bus fairs if you produce the ticket or fuel receipts to the HR.

If all else fails, write about it and publish it to the guardian.

I'm sure the 'advisors' are there to make you hate them and want to sign off JSA.

I've had to sign on two occasions and it was horrible. I wanted to find a job in marketing but they kept getting me to apply for other jobs I had no interest in. I still filled in the card things fortnightly, I was desperate for a job so I applied for about 10 on average every day. On days/weeks that I couldn't apply for anything suitable, I'd still write down jobs that I applied for previously, they just scan the paper and don't check.

Even if you write down "went into Asda to enquire about jobs" or "asked a family friend about vacancies in his company" or something, that used to be okay a couple of years ago as I remember writing down something similar.

It might seem dark right now but I would say to try and keep positive, also keeping a regular sleep routine and don't miss meals. Hope it all works out for you.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Hey, keep your chin up. You've probably already realized this but just for future reference - only ever tell them what they absolutely need to know. Never offer up information voluntarily that could jeopardize your claim because they do not give a damn - they will sanction you at any opportunity no matter how petty the reasons seem so never ever tell them you didn't look for as much work as you were supposed to. Just tell them what they want to hear, be brief and don't expect an ounce of sympathy from them at all. It's a really harsh situation, I know - I've been there. If you need to talk feel free to PM me. You won't be on JSA forever, remember that - things will improve just 'don't let the bastards grind you down'.

Original post by Costalo
I went through this last summer. Appeal the sanction immediately on mental health grounds - say you had depression and perhaps even go to a dr and try to get a medical note backing it up. They will continue paying you until they make a decision.

Take ANY job for the time being,it will get you away from the idiots at DWP and will give you money as well as time to look for a proper career.

This.

And this is why I went onto ESA, as recommended by my advocates (for the time being).

My condolences for your loss, OP.
Original post by Em_Huong
I'm sure the 'advisors' are there to make you hate them and want to sign off JSA.

I've had to sign on two occasions and it was horrible. I wanted to find a job in marketing but they kept getting me to apply for other jobs I had no interest in. I still filled in the card things fortnightly, I was desperate for a job so I applied for about 10 on average every day. On days/weeks that I couldn't apply for anything suitable, I'd still write down jobs that I applied for previously, they just scan the paper and don't check.

Even if you write down "went into Asda to enquire about jobs" or "asked a family friend about vacancies in his company" or something, that used to be okay a couple of years ago as I remember writing down something similar.

It might seem dark right now but I would say to try and keep positive, also keeping a regular sleep routine and don't miss meals. Hope it all works out for you.

I wen't all round reading once I got every store with my CV wrote that down and the batterers struck me off becaus there were no advertised vacencys
I've just signed off JSA so I can go on ESA but my adviser was lovely. I was really worried but he was so helpful.
Did you get make redundant?
I know how you feel I went to Tenerife for eight and a half months and filled out a habitual residency test when I came back to Scotland which I got paid from jsa all in bout 3 weeks money then they sent me an email on my phone saying I hadn't passed it and I wet to social security office right away and they signed me off I wasn't entitled to any money for 3 months because I was out the country for more than 3 months you think you're doing them a favour by getting out this country because there is no jobs but when you come back you get penalised

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending