Finding private accommodation in time for September

Watch
madele
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I really don't know what to do and could use some advice.

I am a mature student and will be moving a long way from where I currently live to start a uni course in September.

I have a dog and therefore finding rental accommodation is going to be really hard. I have never had to rent before so I wasn't prepared for just how hard it seems to be. I can't believe the amount of 'no pet' places there are!

I've started looking around already because I know it'll be a struggle, but I don't know when I should start seriously looking. It's too early to secure a place but I don't want to miss out because other people got there first. When should I actively contact landlords?
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most student lets will let you secure a place early, but most of these will be shared houses, and it is very unlikely a landlord will not allow a dog in a shared house/flat.

I would start contacting letting agents now, and see if any of them have any suitable properties which will allow pets, and ask them to let you know if these properties become available. You may have to be prepared to pay a larger deposit and agree to have the place professionally cleaned when you leave. The rent may also be higher for these properties, as they may be slightly larger or have access to a garden.

However, many landlords will not allow pets, especially dogs/cats and it may even be a term of their insurance not to have pets in the property. You may need to consider a back up plan if you cannot find anywhere (affordable) to rent that will allow you to keep your dog- could a family member look after the dog during term time?
clarisseconnor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pets are usually not allowed in London accommodation because of their insurance. If you do decide to look for accommodation without your dog the list will be a lot longer. You could look at your university for housing or if you're looking for private maybe looking into pure student living. That's where I'm currently staying and really liking it
madele
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
However, many landlords will not allow pets, especially dogs/cats and it may even be a term of their insurance not to have pets in the property.
I didn't realise that. That might explain it. I was just shocked considering how many people have pets and I'm sure many don't own their own house.

I know a few landlords (unfortunately not with properties in Cornwall!) and they all say they allow pets. It seems it might be the agencies that are the issue. I just don't know how to find private people. Gumtree has been useless so far.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by madele)
I didn't realise that. That might explain it. I was just shocked considering how many people have pets and I'm sure many don't own their own house.

I know a few landlords (unfortunately not with properties in Cornwall!) and they all say they allow pets. It seems it might be the agencies that are the issue. I just don't know how to find private people. Gumtree has been useless so far.
In my experience, landlords are often more willing to be flexible about pets if you rent a larger house with a garden, or are a long term good tenant. Equally, some landlords will allow caged pets/small pets but won't allow a dog, especially a larger dog, as this will obviously cause more damage than, for example, a snake which lives in a vivarium the majority of the time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (717)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.91%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (402)
18.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.38%

Watched Threads