How to increase appetite after depression?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I basically had depression from a number of things (moving county, new sixth form, friend issues, LDR which I'm no longer in, A levels and tinnitus) and it killed off my appetite. Things have improved in my life now (have real friends, new good relationship, tinnitus has improved) and I'm pretty sure I'm not depressed anymore but my appetite hasn't really recovered.

I've always been skinny to the point people would be horrible to me about it and had trouble gaining weight but ate normally. I have no problem with how my body looks since I have proportionate boobs and a decent ass, my arms, legs and waist are just very thin which is what people notice and I get fed up of their attitudes towards them. So me not eating well wouldn't do my any favours.

Friends and parents are noticing that I don't finish meals often. I used to be able to eat a whole pizza but now I struggle to eat half.

So how could I increase my appetite? Should I go to the doctors or not? I'm worried if I go on what to say because I don't want to be accused of having anorexia which I don't have.
PandaWho
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I basically had depression from a number of things (moving county, new sixth form, friend issues, LDR which I'm no longer in, A levels and tinnitus) and it killed off my appetite. Things have improved in my life now (have real friends, new good relationship, tinnitus has improved) and I'm pretty sure I'm not depressed anymore but my appetite hasn't really recovered.

I've always been skinny to the point people would be horrible to me about it and had trouble gaining weight but ate normally. I have no problem with how my body looks since I have proportionate boobs and a decent ass, my arms, legs and waist are just very thin which is what people notice and I get fed up of their attitudes towards them. So me not eating well wouldn't do my any favours.

Friends and parents are noticing that I don't finish meals often. I used to be able to eat a whole pizza but now I struggle to eat half.

So how could I increase my appetite? Should I go to the doctors or not? I'm worried if I go on what to say because I don't want to be accused of having anorexia which I don't have.
Is there any other aspects that are going on in your life? Such as stress?
It may just be part of your normal eating habbits now, as long as your body is getting everything it needs then you should be fine.

If your worried then get to the drs, you most likely wont have anorexia suggested as thats more of a mental illness as you have the belief your fat when your not, and that doesnt seem an issue with you.

It may be due to an underlying illness, so worth getting checked out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
genson
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay, first of all it's good that you're concerned about yourself and trying to deal with your problems.

I went through something similar to you and I ended up going to the doctors when I began to worry about my lack of appetite. I was prescribed antidepressants and it certainly did help with my appetite, although it definitely wasn't a magical cure - they're more to help you deal with depression rather than cure you. I was on them for about 2 months at which point I stopped taking them because at that point I felt like I was much more able to deal with things, not fully recovered but on the right path and my eating was a lot better although not entirely back to normal, I'd say it was about a year and a half before I was totally back to normal.

I'd just like to add when I went to my doctor I wasn't accused of being anorexic and it was never brought up as a possibility even though I am quite skinny so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

My advice to you would be discuss your concerns with your doctor and take it from there. No matter what you do there will be good and bad days and it's important to know that you shouldn't get frustrated with yourself and you will get back to your usual self eventually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jay84
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it gets pretty bad then certain antidepressants can help with weight gain.

I have bipolar and have had the same problem before (though typically lose appetite during hypomanic phases) but in any case, the year before last I became very skinny and I forget which pill it was but one medication seemed to have an almost instantaneous effect in creating an appetite.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jay84)
but one medication seemed to have an almost instantaneous effect in creating an appetite.
mirtazapine?
Jay84
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
mirtazapine?
Correct. That was the one.

Here is an interesting fact about that drug - my mum's CAT was also prescribed it by his vet for this very purpose (i.e. the cat lost his appetite and became too skinny)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads