Super199
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I need some help with the following question, we were set it as homework for the first lesson back. But I don't really understand how exchange rates and inflation rates are linked - that is what I need explaining.

'Discuss whether a rise in a country's exchange rate will always reduce its inflation rate' (18 marks).

Also this is my second 18 marker I've done, anyone know how to structure the essay out?
Gladiatorsword
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Super199)
I need some help with the following question, we were set it as homework for the first lesson back. But I don't really understand how exchange rates and inflation rates are linked - that is what I need explaining.

'Discuss whether a rise in a country's exchange rate will always reduce its inflation rate' (18 marks).

Also this is my second 18 marker I've done, anyone know how to structure the essay out?
If this is ocr economics as I can help with structure

Posted from TSR Mobile
lilixxx1000
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If the exchange rate appreciates, imports will appear cheaper and exports more expensive (SPICED - Strong Pound, Imports Cheap, Exports Dear). Therefore in the long run imports should rise and exports should fall. As few goods will be bought from that country (say the UK), demand-pull inflation should fall.
However, in the short run contracts are fixed, so the same amount of imports/exports should be bought. The cost of imports overall will fall, and the cost of exports will rise. More money is being spent in the UK (due to exports) so there may be inflation.
Super199
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gladiatorsword)
If this is ocr economics as I can help with structure

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is
Super199
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilixxx1000)
If the exchange rate appreciates, imports will appear cheaper and exports more expensive (SPICED - Strong Pound, Imports Cheap, Exports Dear). Therefore in the long run imports should rise and exports should fall. As few goods will be bought from that country (say the UK), demand-pull inflation should fall.
However, in the short run contracts are fixed, so the same amount of imports/exports should be bought. The cost of imports overall will fall, and the cost of exports will rise. More money is being spent in the UK (due to exports) so there may be inflation.
I somewhat get it now. I will give it a go. Cheers
Gladiatorsword
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Paragraph 1 - define all key terms. So define exchange rate and inflation rate
Paragraph 2 -draw AD graph to showw how Ad shifts left and explain this
Paragraph 3 - give alternative - why this may not happen
Paragraph 4 - conclusion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Super199
Rep:
?
Right I need some help on this again. I honestly don't know what to write for 18 marks. I have so far done definitions of both which is probably 2 marks.
Super199
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gladiatorsword)
xx
Posted from TSR Mobile
So I was looking at the mark scheme for this question and there is something I don't understand. 'The multiplier effect of lower net exports may be analysed'. What does this mean? Can someone explain how the multiplier effect works in this case?
lilixxx1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So I was looking at the mark scheme for this question and there is something I don't understand. 'The multiplier effect of lower net exports may be analysed'. What does this mean? Can someone explain how the multiplier effect works in this case?
Exports are an injection, so if net exports increase, the injection into the economy is greater so there will be a larger multiplier effect.
Super199
Rep:
?
Exports are an injection, so if net exports increase, the injection into the economy is greater so there will be a larger multiplier effect.
Got it! It also said that if the exchange rate increases it will reduce prices in the "shopping basket of goods" which measures inflation. I somewhat get that but what impact does that have on inflation?
lilixxx1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got it! It also said that if the exchange rate increases it will reduce prices in the "shopping basket of goods" which measures inflation. I somewhat get that but what impact does that have on inflation?
If the prices go down then inflation will be lower.
Super199
Rep:
?
If the prices go down then inflation will be lower.
Wouldn't it increase demand-pull inflation though?
lilixxx1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wouldn't it increase demand-pull inflation though?
no....the basket of goods is just the way to measure inflation. so if the prices in the basket are lower, it means inflation is lower. could be demand-pull or cost push.
Yousf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
nice, so how would you expand on that to get 18marks
Super199
Rep:
?
no....the basket of goods is just the way to measure inflation. so if the prices in the basket are lower, it means inflation is lower. could be demand-pull or cost push.
Care to check what I have written, any feed back is appreciated. It isn't fully finished yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
60.95%
No (66)
39.05%

Watched Threads