JohnLE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What is a level statistics like, if you plan on doing chem and bio with it to get a degree in medicine or possibly a biochem or science related degree? I do enjoy some,parts of maths, not all of it though
cookiemonster15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JohnLE)
What is a level statistics like, if you plan on doing chem and bio with it to get a degree in medicine or possibly a biochem or science related degree? I do enjoy some,parts of maths, not all of it though
I do stats and in all seriousness, I really enjoy it. I like it so much more than core (probably because core is all about graphs and stuff) The stuff in stats is mostly new but also quite enjoyable.
Fatuma-97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cookiemonster15)
I do stats and in all seriousness, I really enjoy it. I like it so much more than core (probably because core is all about graphs and stuff) The stuff in stats is mostly new but also quite enjoyable.
I love stats is so much better than c1 i hate it but c2 is alright i'm getting there
JohnLE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fatuma-97)
I love stats is so much better than c1 i hate it but c2 is alright i'm getting there
What kind of stuff do you do in it and will it link in nicley with bio an chem
techgeek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi!

If you are doing Biology and Chemistry, I'd definitely recommend stats - topics eg standard deviation will link in well

Dependent on exam board, have a look at this link which will give you an idea of the topics you'll be studying in S1

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r.../S1/module.php

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
JohnLE
Rep:
?
(Original post by techgeek)
Hi!

If you are doing Biology and Chemistry, I'd definitely recommend stats - topics eg standard deviation will link in well

Dependent on exam board, have a look at this link which will give you an idea of the topics you'll be studying in S1

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r.../S1/module.php

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of it looks like GCSE kind of stuff, may be wrong as I'm to sure what exam board but thanks
Fatuma-97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeeh i think it does maths and chem go well together
cookiemonster15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah it does link in with biology especiially when doing variation. Also its quite useful in bio or chem when they dump mathsy questions on you. What board are you doing? cuz that might also help.
I'm doing edexcel so i can give you an overview of S1:
basically we do
Measures of location
coding
interquartile ranges
percentiles
variance and standard deviation
skewness
box pllots and histograms
probability
correlation
product moment coefficient
regression
discrete random variables
normal distribution,

I don't know if that helps but thats basically what I'm doing for stats
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you considering an A level in Statistics, or an A level in Maths with 2 statistics modules? I'd recommend the latter as being more generally useful. (The advice other posters have given is all about Statistics 1 which you would do as 1 unit out of 6 in either case).

A lot of it is personal preference. You can learn some useful techniques in Statistics but I found it extremely dull and without any of the satisfaction I got from Core Maths and Mechanics.
JohnLE
Rep:
?
Thanks guys I'm not doing stats yet but may decide to choose it, also I'm mot sure by what you mean by module 1 out of 6 do I get to choose which module I do in statistics?
Fatuma-97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks guys I'm not doing stats yet but may decide to choose it, also I'm mot sure by what you mean by module 1 out of 6 do I get to choose which module I do in statistics?
I think he means over the 2 years first year u do 3 modules core 1, core2 n sstatistic 1 and second year u do c3 c4 and another
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (111)
13.81%
I'm not sure (36)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (243)
30.22%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.49%
I'm not a current university student (394)
49%

Watched Threads