GCSE Revision Technique for all A*s

Watch
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Okay so I'm doing every single GCSE exam in the summer - all 26 exams - *throws up* and I'm doing this 'new' revision technique and would like to know if you think it will work. I haven't found anything similar on the internet and my teachers haven't actually told us good ways because 'there are many'.

So there are four 'stages':

Familiarisation - this to go through all the content for all the exams, in subject order. It doesn't have to be done in detail - simply flicking through a textbook, so when it comes to revising nothing is 'alien'. This has been done over half term. Also having a look at past papers and mark schemes, so you know what is expected of you.

Consolidation - done in March, one exam's content covered in one day (in order of exam timetable). This is to consolidate on all the content and make sure everything is understood, because there's more pressure trying to understand things you don't understand as well as revise.

Revision - over April, one exam's worth of content per day revised in complete detail. So every little bit is revised, and have the ability to answer all different types of questions. If you want A*s you can't afford to 'lose' content or stumble on different types of questions. Going through examiner reports, past papers and mark schemes in detail also. To be done in exam order.

Cramming (although technically not) - revising all the content and completing the latest past paper available the day before. By this point, most of the topics will already have been learnt - it won't be stressful because of the work put in before, gives me the ability to go for runs which help to ease stress and increase motivation.

Anyway, what I really want to know is;
- Do you think this will be effective in gaining strong grades across all subjects?

- Am I putting too much pressure on myself? If I sacrifice April for GCSEs will it actually ease the pressure for May/June?

- I will still be able to have a social life with my plans, but do you think I will have become engrossed in the work?

So yeah, I'll let you know in August if this works and if it seems like a good idea to you - think about doing it. To people who've already done their GCSEs - please answer the questions!

**sidenote - I'm predicted mainly As and a few A*s, so what I'm doing isn't completely out of reach.
Pizzaa<3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
WOW this sounds like so much fun I wish our school would let me try this (okay hard work too, but that's fun ^-^)
Uhm it sounds like this method would work well, although make sure you include extra time for the subjects/topics you find hardest I think you'll get good marks, but maybe prioritise the subjects that are most important for your future (omg big scary thing ahead), and which you want to take for A-level, just in case
I think there's no way you won't be putting lots of pressure on yourself by doing so many, but the timescale sounds good - the way you're spreading it out >.<
However, i'm not sure one day will be enough to cover the 'revision' section, as there is so much to do - it may be better to try and plan ahead to give yourself more time for this

GOOD LUCK
ShadowRaven
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did it work???
I'm doing my GCSEs this year and really want to smash them to prove wrong everyone that has always labelled me as "the dumb one" in my group
because I'm quiet and not in top set for only one of my subjects. I really just need all the help I can get and so would appreciate your opinion on that particular technique.
Thanks,
ShadowRaven
elizabetheb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That sounds really good, but if I were you I'd try to factor in more time for past papers- there's no point knowing the specification back to front if you can't write it in the exam in the way in which the examiners want it :-)
ShadowRaven
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks
ShadowRaven
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed