The Student Room Group

Study abroad or stay in the UK?

Hi. So I want to study languages at university. However due to tuition fees in this country being very high I have been looking at studying abroad. Most likely I will study in Germany and study French and something else maybe another language or business or something and try and pick up German while I'm out there hopefully become conversational in it if I take a gap year out there first.

So what I'm really asking is has anyone done this/thought of doing it/know someone who has etc. What were your experiences. And also if there is the possibility of studying in English in Germany?
Original post by cristin_marks
Hi. So I want to study languages at university. However due to tuition fees in this country being very high I have been looking at studying abroad. Most likely I will study in Germany and study French and something else maybe another language or business or something and try and pick up German while I'm out there hopefully become conversational in it if I take a gap year out there first.

So what I'm really asking is has anyone done this/thought of doing it/know someone who has etc. What were your experiences. And also if there is the possibility of studying in English in Germany?

I think you might struggle finding language degrees taught in English abroad. From my experience it tends to be a lot easier to find Masters courses and/or science degrees like Engineering which are taught in English.

You can try searching here: https://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/international-programs/en/
A quick search I did didn't turn up much but there might be something.

As far as I'm aware the Netherlands and Scandinavia are usually the best countries for courses taught in English so maybe look there?

Good luck!
Original post by sophia5892
I think you might struggle finding language degrees taught in English abroad. From my experience it tends to be a lot easier to find Masters courses and/or science degrees like Engineering which are taught in English.

You can try searching here: https://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/international-programs/en/
A quick search I did didn't turn up much but there might be something.

As far as I'm aware the Netherlands and Scandinavia are usually the best countries for courses taught in English so maybe look there?

Good luck!

Great thanks a lot! I'll have a look
Although tuition fees are high, the way in which they're repaid makes them essentially a graduate tax more than anything else, and they don't affect you ability to get other loans, mortgages etc. If you're going to study a course abroad that is not in English, you'll likely have to pass a language test first, and bear in mind the university systems can be quite different elsewhere and not necessarily of the quality of those in the UK.
Original post by Paralove
Although tuition fees are high, the way in which they're repaid makes them essentially a graduate tax more than anything else, and they don't affect you ability to get other loans, mortgages etc. If you're going to study a course abroad that is not in English, you'll likely have to pass a language test first, and bear in mind the university systems can be quite different elsewhere and not necessarily of the quality of those in the UK.

Cool thanks, I'll keep that in mind :smile:
I was literally thinking of doing exactly the same thing ( I study french and German ) because I love travelling and with the price and everything it seemed like a great idea! But I've kinda given up on it since I haven't heard of anyone else doing it and couldn't find any courses in English. I think learning German in french or vice versa would be so hard, it's hard enough in English haha

But as someone else said, I think in the Netherlands there's good English courses,
Or there's a thing where you can study french in Paris with the university of london(I think)
My German friend also showed me a course in Mainz uni where you can study German there for a semester, then french in Dijon for a semester then Mainz, Dijon, Mainz etc. which sounds great! Except it's for German students so the German would obviously be really hard:/
But yeah, there's still the year abroad in the uni courses over here:smile:

Sorry it's so long, hope that helped! I feel your pain!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending