Are you eligible to vote in the general election but not going to vote? If so why? Watch

TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zebby1999)
I was watching a debate: Big Questions.

They mentioned that some 18-30 year olds feel as if they don't vote because there isn't a party that represents them and MPs aren't trustworthy due to all the media coverage of funds being misused and whatnot. However, there was a counter argument presented that stated: If they don't vote, why should MPs be compelled to stand up for their views...
Well exactly. Parties don't represent people who don't vote for them.
Paladian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't believe in democracy.
username1697607
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
That's what I try to do, and I'm well aware that no one can expect to support a party 100%. But when you have major issues with all the options that are big enough to make you not want to vote for any of them, voting for one of them just to keep out a different one you also don't support is just stupid. I would say that's the only way you can really "waste" a vote. In that situation the "don't vote, don't complain" line gets frustrating very quickly.

In some special cases (and only in these special cases) things might be different and I might be able to find a "least worst" option. e.g. I would be prepared to vote Labour to keep out a climate change denying Conservative candidate, as the environment is one of the things I am most concerned about. However, the chances of that happening are slim.
I've got to be honest, I'm a conservative, I do care about climate change but i probably have one of the worst carbon-foot prints on TSR I really want to improve it but i don't really know how :confused:
Cal-lum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
That's because there are a lot of disgusting things going on in parliament and in government which get media attention because they are unacceptable. e.g Conflicts of interest are a big issue with things like healthcare reforms. The amount of influence corporate interests have on politics is obscene.

When the government does something right, they don't often get praised for it because that is the standard they are supposed to work at anyway. Praising the government for managing something how they are supposed to is a bit like saying "look how wonderful these parents are, they don't throw their own children into the sea". They only get praised if they do something above and beyond that to deserve it, like Cameron getting gay marriage passed.
I'm not saying they don't deserve negative media attention. I just think it is quite a shame that the media is making the country less democratic as young voters are bound to think it's not worth bothering to vote as all government seem to do is bad.
GCSE_beginner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Xin Xang)
I don't think that people are interested to be honest.

We have been raised to believe that politics is something grown ups talk about, and most simply don't grow out of this phase until very late on.

We should introduce politics early on in the education system.

We should have an entire hour each week devoted to it. Just as the PSHCE lessons were implemented.
Yeah I agree with you
In the election in 2017 and the EU referendum I was very into the debates and news discussion, despite being only 10 or 11 years old. Before using BBC News, I'd go onto CBBC Newsround and found the political info there very interesting. Some may not like it , but I do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (15)
28.85%
Spring (9)
17.31%
Autumn/Fall (14)
26.92%
Winter (8)
15.38%
I love them all equally (6)
11.54%