The Student Room Group

international/home student

hi there,
My daughter has lived in the UK as her dad's Dependant from 2001 till 2007, then from 2010 till now, her dad has been given the British Citizenship/passport in 2013, she is awaiting her Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, which should arrive before June 2015, she applied to 5 Universities, 2 asked her for interviews, one gave her unconditional offer, one accepted her as home student, one accepted her as international student, even though according to the student finance documents she should be treated as home student (her dad is British and she's lived in the UK over the last 3 years)...she's very confused (so are we her parents) about the mixed categories she's accepted as...Do you think we should contact the University which gave her the offer but considered her International student to discuss the matter further with them?
Reply 1
Original post by omya
hi there,
My daughter has lived in the UK as her dad's Dependant from 2001 till 2007, then from 2010 till now, her dad has been given the British Citizenship/passport in 2013, she is awaiting her Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, which should arrive before June 2015, she applied to 5 Universities, 2 asked her for interviews, one gave her unconditional offer, one accepted her as home student, one accepted her as international student, even though according to the student finance documents she should be treated as home student (her dad is British and she's lived in the UK over the last 3 years)...she's very confused (so are we her parents) about the mixed categories she's accepted as...Do you think we should contact the University which gave her the offer but considered her International student to discuss the matter further with them?

Hi there

Definitely contact the university and ask them to be considered for home status and they will tell you how to proceed. I was offered all of mine as International and then followed up with emails and LOTS of paperwork. I now have two home status offers and am waiting on a third decision to be changed to home. Each university has different procedures even though they all have to follow the same guidelines.

Good luck
Reply 2
thanks a lot for your reply...could I ask you what immigration status were(are) you?
It IS worth contacting the Unis and asking how/why they have made their decisions.

Just bear in mind that each Uni can make individual decisions based on their criteria and policy. There is no 'national' set of rules on this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending