The Student Room Group

In a dilemma because of unconditional offer from City University London

Just yesterday I received an unconditional offer from city university London for psychology, if I put it as my firm. Originally it had the highest entry requirements (AAB). However, as excited as I am that I may get an unconditional offer I am worried about the expenses that comes with living in London and my other choices which I would also really like to go to (Liverpool and Queens University Belfast). What should I do??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Going to assume you're not Scottish since you haven't mentioned any Scottish unis and if finance was a concern I imagine you would've.
One of the following should help you figure out how much financial assistance you can get.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/calculator.aspx
They only take a few minutes. You're looking for "Maintenance" stuff - Not tuition fee, since that just covers the fees of the university naturally, so you never see a penny of it.

Discuss how much your parents can assist you, and think how many hours you can reasonably plan to work and see if it adds up to what CUL estimate the living costs to be http://www.city.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/funding-and-financial-support/money-management/cost-of-living

If you are in need of more money, you can work holidays (Which seems like a commonly done thing) or if your paychecks/income comes in too late in the month to pay bills/buy food/etc, consider an alternative form of finance e.g. a planned student overdraft (Although I'm no financial adviser so make sure you get some solid second opinions on that!)

And well done on your unconditional offer!! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice and yes I'm not from Scotland, I'm from Northern Ireland. Do u go to city?? If so is it a good uni to go to compared to my others? I haven't been to any offer holder days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in the last year of sixth form right now :P I'm hoping to study in London but I've only applied to Imperial, not City. No idea how City weighs up sorry.

Good luck with your finances and decisions! :smile:
Original post by SeanXx
Just yesterday I received an unconditional offer from city university London for psychology, if I put it as my firm. Originally it had the highest entry requirements (AAB). However, as excited as I am that I may get an unconditional offer I am worried about the expenses that comes with living in London and my other choices which I would also really like to go to (Liverpool and Queens University Belfast). What should I do??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Universities have started using unconditional offers as a marketing tool designed to do exactly what you are now experiencing - make applicants accept a university which they were not really all that keen on before. You don't want to go to London as much as you want Liverpool and Belfast, so don't let a cynical marketing ploy like this make your decisions for you.
Reply 5
What is the psychology course like in City? Is it worth the cost?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I got the exact same change in offer for Psychology at city - I just wanted to know if you got an email directly from City or if it was a change in your UCAS track ?
Original post by SeanXx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi
Im currently considering City uni of London and Liverpool. Don’t know which to choose. Which uni did you end up studying at.

Latest

Trending

Trending