Turn on thread page Beta

I was born into it, I didn't choose it watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm 17 and I was born and raised a muslim in the UK. As far as I'm concerned I was born into Islam and had no choice in my own beliefs. I was forced to attend mosques and pray etc. All I did was be born and suddenly doors and opportunities in my life suddenly become closed to me. Certain jobs, relationships etc. I feel like I didn't even have a choice to decide my beliefs. I was just force fed them throughout my childhood and told that those were my beliefs and I had to believe them to be true. I started to question my beliefs etc around the age of 14 so about 3 years ago now. I feel like Islam isn't for me. I have no problem with it don't get me wrong if it works for someone else that's fine. It's THEIR life. All I'm saying is it doesn't work for me.
    My mum and dad used to kick, smack and scream at me when I didn't pray and they still do only less frequently now. I obviously want to leave Islam but fear the consequences with doing so. Please help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sadly you can only wait until you're independent (or are your parents going to shackle you until you commit to their faith? They're bad parents anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Sadly you can only wait until you're independent (or are your parents going to shackle you until you commit to their faith? They're bad parents anyway)
    I agree with this! There seems to be a massive problem with parents forcing their children into religion, and it's all well and good if the children end up supporting that religion but if they don't they're beaten. My mum never forced any of us into religion and her and i are the only religious people in our family. You should be able to make choice but i wouldn't rebel openly about wanting to leave the religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    But then how would I tell them? They'd kill me if I told them

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by ThatOneLegendAdz)
    Hey I'm 17 and I was born and raised a muslim in the UK. As far as I'm concerned I was born into Islam and had no choice in my own beliefs. I was forced to attend mosques and pray etc. All I did was be born and suddenly doors and opportunities in my life suddenly become closed to me. Certain jobs, relationships etc. I feel like I didn't even have a choice to decide my beliefs. I was just force fed them throughout my childhood and told that those were my beliefs and I had to believe them to be true. I started to question my beliefs etc around the age of 14 so about 3 years ago now. I feel like Islam isn't for me. I have no problem with it don't get me wrong if it works for someone else that's fine. It's THEIR life. All I'm saying is it doesn't work for me.
    My mum and dad used to kick, smack and scream at me when I didn't pray and they still do only less frequently now. I obviously want to leave Islam but fear the consequences with doing so. Please help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm in the same situation, but if you're 17, you might be thinking about going to uni? If so, the best advice I can give is to wait it out until you have the freedom and autonomy to live how you want, which is very difficult whilst at home.
    If you want to talk about it, just ask me to drop you a PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appazap)
    I agree with this! There seems to be a massive problem with parents forcing their children into religion, and it's all well and good if the children end up supporting that religion but if they don't they're beaten. My mum never forced any of us into religion and her and i are the only religious people in our family. You should be able to make choice but i wouldn't rebel openly about wanting to leave the religion
    If I'm ever lucky enough to have children I want to educate them and let them make their own choice! I'll support them no matter what

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I'm ever lucky enough to have children I want to educate them and let them make their own choice! I'll support them no matter what

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your parents seem really traditional? There are a lot things my parents say and do that i don't agree with but saying something to them in my opinion is much worse than keeping quiet. It can be really lonely but at the same time you should be able to make your own choices and whatever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appazap)
    I agree with this! There seems to be a massive problem with parents forcing their children into religion, and it's all well and good if the children end up supporting that religion but if they don't they're beaten.
    Forcing someone to believe and have faith in something they do not want to be a part of purely because it's what you believe in, regardless of whether they're your children or not and especially when it affects their day to day lives, isn't "all well and good".

Children should always be given the choice despite what their parents believe in, it's a basic human right that parents from all religions choose to ignore.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so scared I keep feeling guilty

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so scared I keep feeling guilty

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3156455
    This is a link to the Ex-Muslim society, and most people who post in it are ex-muslims who have similar stories to you. It might be worth taking a look.

Not being rude but there's no point of naming yourself ex-Muslim or ex-Christians or whatever your beliefs are, I mean if you don't want to follow a religion no point stating the obvious, just go with whatever you want to do because at the end of the day God will judge you alone and not on the ex-society with you. People, you have the internet, books and knowledge all you have to do is apply it to yourself and you know the consequences. if you're not God-fearing by having this thought then do whatever you want, God has given us free will, we just have to choose the right path. if you think that without having a religion is the right path for you then so be it, but why do people state that they are an ex-(whatever religion), basically you're not following your religion, ok we all get it. oh my days though you people need to get a life than posting it on the net. I don't usually backlash like this but seriously why bother with the net for sympathy, if you're brave enough to state that you're an ex-(whatever religion), do whatever you want because half of us don't give a damn, but all I do want to say that please respect one another of all religion and races and just be nice.

ReputationRep:
    The religion of peace.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation. Now an ex-christian but my parents are firm believers and I am afraid that if they find out, I'll be disowned. So I'm waiting till I am independent. I am 17 now and off to uni this year, I know I'll be getting a good paying job at even before I finish uni so I'll be able to move out immediately then tell them. This way, I am not at risk. I suggest seeking out ex-muslim groups to help you out, that's what I did and I found it incredibly helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Forcing someone to believe and have faith in something they do not want to be a part of purely because it's what you believe in, regardless of whether they're your children or not and especially when it affects their day to day lives, isn't "all well and good".

Children should always be given the choice despite what their parents believe in, it's a basic human right that parents from all religions choose to ignore.
    I never said it was?

Why do you feel Islam isn't for you?

ReputationRep:
    But then how would I tell them? They'd kill me if I told them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't tell them.

It isn't worth the social or physical sacrifice.

Eventually, you will be independent and have your own life. It will be obvious by then and they will accept it.

ReputationRep:
    It was the same with me, except I wasn't following Islam.

The best thing I suggest doing is not telling them and wait until you move out for uni or in general.

ReputationRep:
    My mum and dad used to kick, smack and scream at me when I didn't pray and they still do only less frequently now.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is abuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anniejtmd)
    I'm in the same situation. Now an ex-christian but my parents are firm believers and I am afraid that if they find out, I'll be disowned. So I'm waiting till I am independent. I am 17 now and off to uni this year, I know I'll be getting a good paying job at even before I finish uni so I'll be able to move out immediately then tell them. This way, I am not at risk. I suggest seeking out ex-muslim groups to help you out, that's what I did and I found it incredibly helpful
    Tbh I've always thought Christian parents are more understanding about this sort of thing. I know a lot of people whose parents are Christian and were brought up with it but stopped believing and their parents were fine with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Déscartés)
    Tbh I've always thought Christian parents are more understanding about this sort of thing. I know a lot of people whose parents are Christian and were brought up with it but stopped believing and their parents were fine with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Generally, they are supposed to be more accepting but unfortuately thats is not case for me. It might also be cultural as my parents are African and my dad is a preacher with severe anger issues who can get violent and aggressive at times. That's another reason why I'm gonna move out first, because I don't feel safe tbh

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.