The Student Room Group

Indices (with surds)

Please can someone start me off on the last question I have no clue what "write each number as a power of 3" is actually telling me to do.
Reply 2
Original post by techgeek

Thanks! I completely forgot that x\sqrt x is the same as x12x^\frac{1}{2}
That is a fantastic question, pretty in-depth for just 2 marks to be honest lol. We never get questions that difficult for 2 marks. Good question though, I like it.
Reply 4

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=403989

'This is a thorny topic, which has probably caused more arguments than anything else on this forum. To make it perfectly clear, the consensus (and forum rule), is that posting of full solutions should be considered a last resort. If your first contribution to a thread is to post a full solution, the moderators are quite entitled to take action. '

Also, writing only the second term in powers of three would be simpler:

39×33=3×(3)29=991\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{9} \times 3\sqrt{3} = \dfrac{3\times(\sqrt{3})^2}{9} = \dfrac{9}{9} \equiv 1
Reply 5
Original post by Phichi
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=403989

'This is a thorny topic, which has probably caused more arguments than anything else on this forum. To make it perfectly clear, the consensus (and forum rule), is that posting of full solutions should be considered a last resort. If your first contribution to a thread is to post a full solution, the moderators are quite entitled to take action. '

Also, writing only the second term in powers of three would be simpler:

39×33=3×(3)29=991\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{9} \times 3\sqrt{3} = \dfrac{3\times(\sqrt{3})^2}{9} = \dfrac{9}{9} \equiv 1

I was unaware of this. Perhaps this 'rule' should be made clearer as I do not recall it being in the terms and conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I was unaware of this. Perhaps this 'rule' should be made clearer as I do not recall it being in the terms and conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thread is at the top of the forum, entitled 'Guide to posting in the Maths forum - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!!!'
commenting for future reference :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest