Representing pressure of a gas?

Watch this thread
magic_andrew
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Show that the pressure of a gas can be represented by P = (p<c>​2)/3
Not sure if those tags were just a formatting error but I've included them just in case.
So far I have used p = m/v and substituted it into the equation PV = 1/3Nmc2rms. So I've got P = 1/3 Npc2rms. Is the N necessary and does the rms part matter?
lerjj
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Not that relevant, but in at least some contexts <x> means average value of x. That's probably what the tags meant.
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by magic_andrew)
Not sure if those tags were just a formatting error but I've included them just in case.
So far I have used p = m/v and substituted it into the equation PV = 1/3Nmc2rms. So I've got P = 1/3 Npc2rms. Is the N necessary and does the rms part matter?
N matters because it's the number of atoms.
If m is the mass of one atom then Nm is the total mass of gas.
Nm/V is density as it's mass / volume.
Phichi
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
&lt;v&gt; represents the mean value.

However:

v_{rms} = \sqrt{&lt;v^2&gt;} \neq \, \, &lt;v&gt;, also, &lt;v^2&gt; \, \,  \neq \, \,  &lt;v&gt;^2

Your question was to prove:

P = (p<c>​2)/3

Are you you positive it wasn't P = \dfrac{1}{3}p&lt;c^2&gt;
magic_andrew
Rep:
(Original post by Phichi)
&lt;v&gt; represents the mean value.

However:

v_{rms} = \sqrt{&lt;v^2&gt;} \neq \, \, &lt;v&gt;, also, &lt;v^2&gt; \, \,  \neq \, \,  &lt;v&gt;^2

Your question was to prove:

P = (p<c>​2)/3

Are you you positive it wasn't P = \dfrac{1}{3}p&lt;c^2&gt;
Yeh it's definetly outside the tags. It might just be a mistake by my lecturer so if it helps then just use the power inside the tags.
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yeh it's definetly outside the tags. It might just be a mistake by my lecturer so if it helps then just use the power inside the tags.
You just need to use pressure=nm/v I am been through this with my lecturer there isn't really much more to the question than that and rearranging the <c^2> is definetley supposed to be (c rms) squared.
magic_andrew
Rep:
So the N pretty much acts like a constant and cancel out?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (47)
26.55%
As I expected (58)
32.77%
Harder (64)
36.16%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.52%

Watched Threads