The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Starting a band at Uni of Manchester 2015/2016?

I've firmed Manchester and hopefully go in september, and do hope to start a band whilst i'm there as well, so I have a few questions.

Is it easy to find members?
How would you go about doing so? Like is it easy through societies or advertising in halls, or simply word of mouth.
Are gigs easy to find? I imagine so considering it's in a city, but of course it could be a bit hard.
Are house shows common? I'd love to play some and would like to know how common they are.
There's a live music society in which drummers, guitarists, bassists etc - band type musicians - meet up every week in the SU. I'd go there to find some new people, however, 95% of the people there go just to show off their talent and disregard other peoples' abilities.
Posting around Facebook groups or just on here would work just as well. I found out people play instruments just by meeting people in freshers or on my course, it's a lot easier than imagined.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I'm hoping to join a band once I get to uni. What type of band are you looking to set up?
Reply 3
I posted something similar to this a while ago but got no replies, possibly it was too threatening eh, same question as fella above me what kind of band?
Reply 4
Original post by Chem_boy97
I'm hoping to join a band once I get to uni. What type of band are you looking to set up?

indie/rock n roll type band
Reply 5
Original post by RORYC
I posted something similar to this a while ago but got no replies, possibly it was too threatening eh, same question as fella above me what kind of band?

Reply 6
Whatya play man?
Reply 7
Original post by RORYC
Whatya play man?

guitar
Reply 8
Swell, so i've firmed up Manchester, it's a long way away but i'd be interested if ya wanted to play
Reply 9
Original post by RORYC
Swell, so i've firmed up Manchester, it's a long way away but i'd be interested if ya wanted to play

yeah deffo mate i'll message you closer to the time or something
Original post by rosswj96

Ah cool, that's my style of music. I play piano so if you'd be needing a pianist then I'd be interested :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending