The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Accomodation advice

Which hall is better; rankin hall, mcnair or salisbury and why?
Reply 1
I live on campus so can't really comment too much on off campus but I've heard that Rankin has recently been redone and is the 'newer' one.

Don't know if this helps much!
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by Leedjaa
I live on campus so can't really comment too much on off campus but I've heard that Rankin has recently been redone and is the 'newer' one.

Don't know if this helps much!

It helps still whats it like on campus and do you know anyone off campus?
Reply 3
Original post by markus360
It helps still whats it like on campus and do you know anyone off campus?

I live in Crown Place and I love it. Everything is within walking distance and you are right in the middle of everything! I live in a studio room (not by choice) but its not as bad as you think and I love it!

I know quite a few people who live off campus and have gone to greenbank a couple of times for pre-drinks. :smile:
I would suggest a off campus hall, I live in Crown Place and it's terrible even though everything is within walking distance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Saleem Aslam
I would suggest a off campus hall, I live in Crown Place and it's terrible even though everything is within walking distance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,
i was just wondering why you wouldnt recommend living in crown place? Also do you know how likely it is that you will get one of your 3 preferences regarding accomadation?
Original post by Savanii
Hey,
i was just wondering why you wouldnt recommend living in crown place? Also do you know how likely it is that you will get one of your 3 preferences regarding accomadation?

Oops didnt add to that sorry, what I was meant to say was it was a terrible experience for me but I would suggest it, its just that we had a lot of power cuts,water going off, wifi going off etc and a lot of building work going outside which woke everyone up early, I'm sure these things will be ironed out next year.

I got my first choice but some people didn't and got off campus accommodation or studios, I would suggest that you apply as early as possible and if you do get into a accommodation you don't like just let the university know and they will put you on a waiting list and you will be able to change to your desired accommodation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Oops didnt add to that sorry, what I was meant to say was it was a terrible experience for me but I would suggest it, its just that I personally got terrible flatmates and we had a lot of power cuts,water going off, wifi going off etc and a lot of building work going outside which woke everyone up early, I'm sure these things will be ironed out next year.

I got my first choice but some people didn't and got off campus accommodation or studios, I would suggest that you apply as early as possible and if you do get into a accommodation you don't like just let the university know and they will put you on a waiting list and you will be able to change to your desired accommodation.

fair enough. i went to the applicant day today actually and there were still quite a lot of construction work going on :/ how come your flatmates were terrible? also do you think its now to late to apply for accommodation in the hopes ill get my first preference?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Oh right, yeah it was supposed to finish back in december :/, just generally ignored me I have tried interacting and talking to them on numerous occasions but they have just dont bother. Na now is not too late I know a few people who applied just before the deadline and they got their first choice!

really? it looked like they had loads more to do. oh no thats so annoying! are you at crown place atm then? if so would you be able to take pictures of the room and the toilet so i can see what it looks like as i only had time to see vine court today and the pictures for the crown palace arent very clear. also which accommodation between those two are newer?
Original post by Savanii
really? it looked like they had loads more to do. oh no thats so annoying! are you at crown place atm then? if so would you be able to take pictures of the room and the toilet so i can see what it looks like as i only had time to see vine court today and the pictures for the crown palace arent very clear. also which accommodation between those two are newer?

Yeah it does :/ they are taking the piss but the memes people are making are hilarious :biggrin:, Yeah Im stil here atm but I've gone home for the weekend so I'll PM you some pics on monday :smile: Ah I've personally never been to vine but crown place is brand new!!!
Reply 11
Yeah it does :/ they are taking the piss but the memes people are making are hilarious :biggrin:, Yeah Im stil here atm but I've gone home for the weekend so I'll PM you some pics on monday :smile: Ah I've personally never been to vine but crown place is brand new!!!

that would be so helpful thanks! aha really? i really cant decide between the two but the en suite in vine court looked so nice! can you get self catering at crown place btw?
Which hall is better; rankin hall, mcnair or salisbury and why?

I stayed in Salisbury last year. Found it awesome. Vending machines and a massive computer room on the ground floor were added perks. It's also right next to the bus stop.
Reply 13
Original post by AManWithAPlan
I stayed in Salisbury last year. Found it awesome. Vending machines and a massive computer room on the ground floor were added perks. It's also right next to the bus stop.

Safe can you tell me more about why you thought it was awesome? Also whats the food like? Do you know anyone that went to any other halls?
Safe can you tell me more about why you thought it was awesome? Also whats the food like? Do you know anyone that went to any other halls?

Ehh, food was alright, but it was quite unhealthy most of the time. I had a friend live in Lady Mountford; seemed alright. Dale Hall is self-catered, and I wish I would've gone there because I like managing my own food and it's cheaper. But with Salisbury... Man, you could get quite a few good parties going on in your floor, in your room, whatever. Everyone seems to be open in the first few weeks, so you can find a group to fit in with easily.
Reply 15
Original post by AManWithAPlan
Ehh, food was alright, but it was quite unhealthy most of the time. I had a friend live in Lady Mountford; seemed alright. Dale Hall is self-catered, and I wish I would've gone there because I like managing my own food and it's cheaper. But with Salisbury... Man, you could get quite a few good parties going on in your floor, in your room, whatever. Everyone seems to be open in the first few weeks, so you can find a group to fit in with easily.

Aight safe that helped a lot
How many halls are there at pool -I only know about Carnatic crown place and vine court and greenbank?
Original post by Savanii
Hey, i was just wondering why you wouldnt recommend living in crown place? Also do you know how likely it is that you will get one of your 3 preferences regarding accomadation?

Hey Savanii,

I have a somewhat different opinion about Crown Place compared to Saleem. I have really enjoyed living here over the last seven months! It is really conveniently located, right in the middle of the university campus and 10 minutes walk away from Liverpool ONE. It is really modern and is pretty much luxury as far as student accommodation is concerned. The building work is nearly finished now and definitely will be long before people arrive in September I guess there is always teething issues with new buildings!

For people that would rather have their food cooked for them and possibly a slightly more sociable environment, then the off-campus accommodation is adequate.

If you apply for your accommodation early and Liverpool is your firm choice, then you are more likely to get your first choice accommodation. It is when your offer becomes Unconditional Firm that they send out your accommodation offer, so usually the day after results day. I managed to get my first choice. And, there are also waiting lists to switch between the halls once you arrive.

Vine Court is a mixture of international students, first, second and third year students, whereas Crown Place is only first year students. It is all self-catered, whereas Vine Court's allocation is mainly for catered, but there is some self-catered there.

I hope this helps. It is mainly what you make of the experience.

- Neil
(edited 9 years ago)
Please don't let the meal times put you off living off campus. You have a 3 hour window to eat breakfast and dinner so it's not an issue at all. And you can always just order a supper pack if you know you won't be back in time for dinner.

My friend lives in Rankin and she liked it there. Can't say I really know much about the different houses at carnatic though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending