The Student Room Group

A/a* students!-

I really need a motivation, to achieve the best grades. GCSES are around the corner! i dont have any idea what im doing! im always getting caught up with course work than my actual revision!
Is there any tips A/A* students can give!
The subjects im doing are:
English- WJEC
Eng lang-
-inspector calls
-heroes
-off mice and men

Maths- AQA (weak on)
Science -Additional (3'S 4'S) OCR GATEWAY (weak on)
R.E -EDEXCEL
French- EDEXCEL (weak on)
History- AQA (weak on)
Computer science -OCR (find the hardest)

ANY ADVISE HOW TO SORT OUT A REVISON PLAN! ON ALL THESE SUBJECTS!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by humzzay
I really need a motivation, to achieve the best grades. GCSES are around the corner! i dont have any idea what im doing! im always getting caught up with course work than my actual revision!
Is there any tips A/A* students can give!

Make sure for content heavy subjects like history to start at the very latest the beginning of April or late march and do a couple hours a day. . Do not leave it to the night before, as you will not do as well as you could do. I revised the night before and the level of stress and how tired I felt was not worth it. Especially since I didn't achieve as well as I could have.
Reply 2
Original post by BIOCH3M
Make sure for content heavy subjects like history to start at the very latest the beginning of April or late march and do a couple hours a day. . Do not leave it to the night before, as you will not do as well as you could do. I revised the night before and the level of stress and how tired I felt was not worth it. Especially since I didn't achieve as well as I could have.

Thankyou so much! The course work is doing my head in aswell and history is a tough subject since there is alot on content! I will take on board your advise :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by humzzay
Thankyou so much! The course work is doing my head in aswell and history is a tough subject since there is alot on content! I will take on board your advise :biggrin:

I crammed for all my history exams and went on 3 hours sleep and some of my other exams. There is no worse feeling that going into the exam hall and having to leave out questions because I was too lazy to revise. Was my biggest regret not trying harder, please don't make the same mistake. Any advice you would like regarding school work, feel free to PM me. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by BIOCH3M
I crammed for all my history exams and went on 3 hours sleep and some of my other exams. There is no worse feeling that going into the exam hall and having to leave out questions because I was too lazy to revise. Was my biggest regret not trying harder, please don't make the same mistake. Any advice you would like regarding school work, feel free to PM me. :biggrin:

I know what you mean i felt like that in my mock exams! absoloutely horrible! 3 hour sleep! definately!
Everything is getting to me though theres really less time how am i supposed to revise everything :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by humzzay
I know what you mean i felt like that in my mock exams! absoloutely horrible! 3 hour sleep! definately!
Everything is getting to me though theres really less time how am i supposed to revise everything :frown:

I have only just started revising for my a-levels, so I wouldn't worry - we are in the same boat. Revision is very much quality over quantity. Try the pomodoro technique where you do 25 minutes of solid study with a five minute break. Then after 3 or 4 pomodoros 25 minutes slots, then have a 15m-30m break. Works quite well for me.
Reply 6
Original post by BIOCH3M
I have only just started revising for my a-levels, so I wouldn't worry - we are in the same boat. Revision is very much quality over quantity. Try the pomodoro technique where you do 25 minutes of solid study with a five minute break. Then after 3 or 4 pomodoros 25 minutes slots, then have a 15m-30m break. Works quite well for me.

Oh I see, seems easier than the blocks of revision maybe i could do the core subjects for an hour and then somthing like RE i could do atleast for 30 minutes?! Also what did you achieve for your gcses?
(and thankyou for the advise- and I wish you luck on your Alevels) :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by humzzay
Oh I see, seems easier than the blocks of revision maybe i could do the core subjects for an hour and then somthing like RE i could do atleast for 30 minutes?! Also what did you achieve for your gcses?
(and thankyou for the advise- and I wish you luck on your Alevels) :smile:

Unfortunately only A's. But in several subjects, I was 1 or 2 raw marks of an A* in English Language, RS and physics and chemistry I was a few raw marks off.
Reply 8
Original post by BIOCH3M
Unfortunately only A's. But in several subjects, I was 1 or 2 raw marks of an A* in English Language, RS and physics and chemistry I was a few raw marks off.

You achived A's THATS REALLY GOOD! no Cs and Bs? ENVY YOU! woah! I know there may be regret But it shows when you focus more you can achieve alot more better :biggrin: So in your Alevels! who knows A A A*?
Reply 9
Original post by humzzay
You achived A's THATS REALLY GOOD! no Cs and Bs? ENVY YOU! woah! I know there may be regret But it shows when you focus more you can achieve alot more better :biggrin: So in your Alevels! who knows A A A*?

Hopefully 2 A and 2 B grades at AS, and 3A's at A2. I really want to study at imperial. And thankfully, I got all A's I really thought I had completely mucked up and got all D's.
Reply 10
Original post by BIOCH3M
Hopefully 2 A and 2 B grades at AS, and 3A's at A2. I really want to study at imperial. And thankfully, I got all A's I really thought I had completely mucked up and got all D's.

Recently in college many as students failed and had to repeat the year in another college. Iv heard that its extreamly hard! and hearing that your got As is like woah! :eek:
Do lots of past papers and mark them. Pay attention to the mark schemes and the key words the examiners are looking for in particular. I find flashcards are also really helpful for retaining information.
For French, learn as many verbs as you can! I did this and it made reading and listening so much easier - if you manage to catch a single verb you know, it can increase your understanding of a sentence so much more easily! I got an A* in French by the way:smile:
Original post by humzzay

THANK YOU for getting it. History has so MUCH content. My exam board is OCR. Paper 1 consists of Germany Depth Study which has over 50 topics combined with Cold War and Vietnam study which has around 20 topics. So 1 paper has around 70 topics!!! If that wasn't enough, there's paper 2, British Depth Study. Not to forget the current coursework I'm doing over the Economic Boom. I regret picking History...
Original post by humzzay

Eng lang - of mice and men
Maths- AQA (weak on)
Science -Additional (3'S 4'S) OCR GATEWAY (weak on)
R.E -EDEXCEL
Computer science -OCR (find the hardest)

What is your exam board for RE? Like, I meant what units, 1 and 8? For computer science, are you doing a controlled assessment on Python right now? For English Language, I can help you on 'OMAM' - Of Mice and Men, I can help on Maths, Additional Science if your exam board is ocr gateway b. C3 module - rate of reaction 1,2,3, batch or continuous, allotropes. Those are the topics I remember by head, if you've been learning them, you've got the same exam board as me, I can help you :biggrin:.
Reply 15
Original post by Chittesh14
What is your exam board for RE? Like, I meant what units, 1 and 8? For computer science, are you doing a controlled assessment on Python right now? For English Language, I can help you on 'OMAM' - Of Mice and Men, I can help on Maths, Additional Science if your exam board is ocr gateway b. C3 module - rate of reaction 1,2,3, batch or continuous, allotropes. Those are the topics I remember by head, if you've been learning them, you've got the same exam board as me, I can help you :biggrin:.

Im doing unit 4 and 3 and this is about islam edexcel and yes im doing computing python and the controlled assesment is really hard im still doing it atm im actually stuck on thr coding part and some of thr design stages if your able to help me on that?!

Im doing C3 B3 P3 and also C4 P4 B4 in science!!! So i think i am my exam board is Ocr gateway science

omam you can help me on notes and things? If thats okay!! :colondollar:
Reply 16
Original post by Tarte Tatin
Do lots of past papers and mark them. Pay attention to the mark schemes and the key words the examiners are looking for in particular. I find flashcards are also really helpful for retaining information.

Do you think learning the content first then attempting exam questions? Or shall i just go over the PPQS and i will do use flash cards thankyou 😃
Reply 17
Original post by lubna1998
For French, learn as many verbs as you can! I did this and it made reading and listening so much easier - if you manage to catch a single verb you know, it can increase your understanding of a sentence so much more easily! I got an A* in French by the way:smile:

Oh woah thats amazing!! I have an speaking exam on the 18th march and its pretty soon😓 do you have any advise on how to get an A* and any tips on learning the vocab for french
😊
Original post by humzzay
Oh woah thats amazing!! I have an speaking exam on the 18th march and its pretty soon������ do you have any advise on how to get an A* and any tips on learning the vocab for french
������

for vocab i would recomend the website and app 'memrize' you can either use lists of vocab someone else has created on there or make your own and it tests you on all the words in clever ways making sure you know those you strggle most with
For all the subjects you are weak on, I genuinely recommend you work your way through all your textbooks and then mark your work and then when you're doing go through past papers. I was appalling at maths and science, the only way I got good grades in them was because I did this from now up until the exam date.

Quick Reply

Latest